ACC PRIDE!!! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC PRIDE!!!

I suspect ND would align with Pitt, BC and Syracuse, and the 16th would fall someplace else.

Good call, and , a very distinct possibility, considering their large fanbase in NYC. I'd go so far as to say ND would request that grouping.

JMHO, it'd probably depend upon who No 16 might be, and, where they are located. I wrote those pods out to make them as regionally cohesive as possible. The South and Central Pods would pretty much be a done deal, yes?

If No 16 were say, WVU, then ND would go to the Northeast. If No 16 were say, UConn, they make perfect sense being in the Northeast.

the bigeast ultimately failed because it allowed itself to be hostage to football.

the bigeast initially survived because Syracuse and BC preserved its hoops teams by not allowing joepa the ability to create his northeast conference. and once pitt snuck in the back door the dream was over. without them in tow, he knew he had nothing.

it just took a lot longer to fail than it should have.

its too bad the 91 realignment was miami joining the big east and not Syracuse, BC & pitt joining FSU in the new ACC.

Although not alone by any means, Syracuse never took a long term strategic view at any point,. We really clung to the Northeast identity, longing for the days of the Major Eastern Indies.

Crouthamel's own two piece article about the birth of the Big East shows how reactionary the schools were. They were more swept along by other forces like TV than they were marching along with a strategic vision.

The Big East Football Conference was created largely at SU's insistence. But I'll agree with you. It was never going to make it. It took longer to fail than it should have.

Bob, you aren't really comparing the Villanova basketball program to Penn State's are you? First of all, Villanova had a record of significant accomplishment in basketball before the Big East. PSU had none. Villanova is in basketball-mad Philadelphia. PSU is in the cornfields of Central PA and draws its students from every podunk town in PA (Of which there are hundreds)

The Big East got plenty in return for adding ND. In BB, ND was always a huge in-person and TV draw.

PSU was only interested in joining the Big East (or in forming an Eastern Conference) on its terms. And in both cases it meant no sharing of PSU football revenue.

You are just perpetuating two myths about the Big East. PSU was never interested in playing football in the Big East as an equal partner. And ND's presence in the league is not why it failed. Adding either or both may have saved it. But that was never going to happen.

The Big East failed because there weren't enough quality football programs in the Northeast to support it. Especially after they couldn't stave off the ACC taking away BC, VT and Miami.

I'm pretty sure that Notre Dame has the highest average attendance of any Big East opponent in the Dome. It's over 25,000. (There's a chance that Georgetown is higher, but I'm not sorting through 30-odd years of figures.)

Point is, Notre Dame was a very attractive opponent (even though their addition ended the round-robin Big East).

I'm pretty sure that Notre Dame has the highest average attendance of any Big East opponent in the Dome. It's over 25,000. (There's a chance that Georgetown is higher, but I'm not sorting through 30-odd years of figures.)

Point is, Notre Dame was a very attractive opponent (even though their addition ended the round-robin Big East).

Oh, I agree. DC is abuzz when ND plays here. Places like UVA and VT and Clemson are going to freak out when they show up.

People hate ND. People love ND. Some just want to see ND in person and hear the ND fight song. But they are still a huge attention draw in person and on TV. The ACC adding ND for all sports but football is a big deal and a master stroke. The 5 F games are a huge benefot. Watch how many schools discover premium pricing for ND games.

Some people just don't realize this or don't want to admit it.

Oh, I agree. DC is abuzz when ND plays here. Places like UVA and VT and Clemson are going to freak out when they show up.

People hate ND. People love ND. Some just want to see ND in person and hear the ND fight song. But they are still a huge attention draw in person and on TV. The ACC adding ND for all sports but football is a big deal and a master stroke. The 5 F games are a huge benefot. Watch how many schools discover premium pricing for ND games.

Some people just don't realize this or don't want to admit it.

I've known Syracuse fans (and fans of other teams, too) to say: "Notre Dame's here tonight; we're wearing green to the game." What're you, kidding me? You're changing fan allegiances because Notre Dame is in town? Yeah, people love them.

I dislike them even more.

I've known Syracuse fans (and fans of other teams, too) to say: "Notre Dame's here tonight; we're wearing green to the game." What're you, kidding me? You're changing fan allegiances because Notre Dame is in town? Yeah, people love them.

I dislike them even more.
Any Syracuse 'fan' that says that needs to be required to turn in their SU fan card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom