ACC QB Commits | Syracusefan.com

ACC QB Commits

timkay99

All Conference
Seen a higher degree of conversation than normal centering around how the class is ranked by the services and can it really be ranked like that? Can the recruiting services be trusted with all the questions that surround them?

Figured would dive in to a position by position look at the currently committed recruits in the ACC (not Notre Dame) and see what I thought of them!

I have no evaluation background as it relates to football. Spent 10 years in baseball, including the last couple years evaluating high school talent on the side from a real-world job. Graduated from MLB Scout School and have worked with MLB teams for 3 years, USA Baseball for 2 years, coached a NAIA power for 2 years as a recruiting coordinator and then ran the state of Tennessee for a 3rd party scouting service for a year and have been assisting since I left. So, I am used to putting evaluations in the public realm.

From my experience, overall rankings mean nothing and I hated doing them as an evaluator. I really tried to nail down my positional rankings and overall grades (stayed private) on each player when preparing to go public and then cobble together overall rankings from there. So, I put more value on positional rankings and where the player aligns in their state.

With that said, it is an open board and I am not a fluent football evaluator, so individual evaluations will be limited to a sentence or two on Syracuse prospects especially, as I am not trying to anger or upset anyone and merely try to provide a baseline with which to understand where the class stands. With HS baseball postponed in Tennessee, I have had that itch to evaluate that I wasn’t able to satisfy this year.

All the disclaimers out of the way, dive into QB’s. Will use 247 as a guide for both video and rankings. If no video there, will do a search and list where the video was found. With evaluating off of highlight videos, definitely more of an upside look as opposed to a risk look. Would look for improvements from Jr year film to Sr year film (for those who end up playing).

What I look for in QB’s:

High Schools: What league do they play in? Try to get a read of the competition level.

Body and Mechanics Projection: Body type projectable? Mechanics are clean enough to yield easy growth?

Identify the Profile: Dual Threat, Pocket Passer

Identify the Attributes for Each Profile: Dual Threat (Elusiveness/footwork, Top-end speed, physicality, arm strength/throws in profile), Pocket Passer (Arm strength/throws in profile, mechanics/accuracy, footwork, ability to buy time in pocket with eyes downfield)

My struggles as an evaluator:

- QB footwork on these highlight films. They all start to look the same after awhile.

- So much of a QB evaluation are things highlight film will never show. Tools may be the least important piece of a QB's overall package, as they rely so much on ability to read defenses, mental aptitude, ability to adjust in game and working through progressions. I relate evaluating QB's to evaluating high school hitters. Yea, from talking to you I think you can hit, your mechanics suggest you can hit, but I don't know for sure until I see you face low 90's and above average spin day in and day out (as well as being able to handle failure for the first time, do you shut it down or fight?)

As of 9/10/20, here is my breakdown of the QB’s currently committed in the ACC:

TJ Lewis (Glynn Academy, GA) – Louisville Commit

Measurables: 6’4, 186

Positional State Ranking: #2 Dual (GA), #7 QB

HS Background: 6A (7A is the highest)

Video Watched: Junior Season Highlights - 247

Profile: Dual Threat

Breakdown: Long striding QB is a game changer in space w/ enough arm strength to keep defenses honest. Tall, athletic, long and lanky, super projectable. Simple throwing mechanics w/ solid footwork. Easy arm strength, learning how to get the lower half consistently involved when in the pocket. Developing accuracy, flashes some touch. Game changer on the outside, is at top speed after 2 steps. Explodes through openings. Run first once outside the pocket. Lean frame is only thing stopping him from being immediate impact, will be scary if the presence of Cunningham allows him to take a redshirt and develop. High upside QB with program changing upside.

Grade: 60 (All Conference Starter)

Aaron McLaughlin (Denmark HS, GA) – NC State Commit

Measurables: 6’5, 219

Positional State Ranking: #3 PRO (QB), #4 QB

HS Background: 7A (biggest schools in state)

Profile: Pocket Passer

Breakdown: Tall, athletic pocket passer shows big arm strength. Simple throw, starts with the ball a little lower than most, but correctable. Simple release w/ solid footwork. Above average arm strength, ball jumps out. Physical runner with athleticism, has a chance to do things outside the pocket. Shows ability to make throws on the run. Impact dude.

Grade: 60 (All Conference Starter)

Luke Altmyer (Starkville HS, MS) – Florida State Commit

Measurables: 6’2, 190

Positional State Ranking: #1 PRO (MS), #1 QB

HS Background: 6A, biggest schools in the state

Video Watched: 2019 Season - 247

Breakdown: Slinger w/ advanced arm strength. Medium, athletic frame w/ projection. Clean mechanics, solid footwork, occasionally gets heavy footed the pocket, can see it has been drilled into him to stay on his toes. Ball tapper at times. Above average arm strength, whips it doesn’t always need lower half. Stands strong in the pocket, shows ability to shuffle. More noticeable for him since his line gave him all the time in the world, but hard locks on that first read, which is normal for a HS QB. Needs a quality OL to keep him upright, but tools to be a high impact performer. Elite 11 QB Attendee.

Grade: 55 (Above Average P5 Starter)

Bubba Chandler (North Oconee HS, GA) – Clemson Commit

Measurables: 6’4, 195

Positional State Ranking: #4 PRO (GA), #5 QB

HS Background: 4A (7A is the highest level of competition)

Video Watched: Junior Highlights – 247

Breakdown: Intriguing QB prospect with all the tools. Medium, athletic frame, super projectable w/ long limbs. Clean mechanics w/ above avg footwork, keeps feet under him and seems to always be under control. Low effort throw. Balls jump out of hand, projectable above average arm strength as frame fills out. Accurate thrower, throws guys open, shows ability to lead them with a catchable ball. Elusive, able to get out of trouble, make plays outside of the pocket. Not a gamebreaker speed wise, but will be a threat defenses have to account for on RPO’s. Only knock for me is the 4A talent level he faced, but likely redshirting at Clemson anyways to get ready. Might get buried behind the transcendent QB’s Clemson normally has, but the impact tools are there.

Grade: 55 (Above Average P5 Starter)

Tahj Bullock (St. Peters Prep HS, NJ) – Va Tech Commit

Measurables: 6’4, 223

Positional State Ranking: #1 DUAL (NJ), #1 QB

HS Background: Private school, with all the high level schools in NJ, think I have heard of all of them due to either football or baseball players coming out of them.

Video Watched: 2019 Season Highlights - 247

Breakdown: True dual threat QB w/ prototypical QB size. Tall, athletic w/ some physical projection. Throwing motion looks interesting, but ball jumps out of his hand. Athletic, can make throws in different slots and understands how to get it out quick. Pass first with ability to get the football upfield. Gets jittery in the pocket at times. Has the first step burst and physicality to be a threat on RPO’s, not a take it to the house threat, but has to be respected. Likely needs a redshirt year, but intriguing skillset and upside.

Grade: 55 (Above Average P5 Starter) – more risk than the others with this grade

Drake Maye (Episcopal HS, VA) – UNC Commit

Measurables: 6’5, 210

Positional State Ranking: #1 Pro (NC), #1 QB

HS Background: 4A (biggest schools in state)

Video Watched: 2019 Mid Season highlights - 247

Breakdown: Easy QB actions w/ arm strength. Prototypical size w/ projection. Easy arm strength w/ clean release, solid footwork. Sprays a bit accuracy wise, was bailed out by 2 power 5 WR’s in the ’20 class and an ODU commit in the ’21 class. Hard to tell how much was him and how much was his exceptional talent on the outside. Shows some mobility to move around. Strikes me as a guy that may end up being overrated and taking advantage of the talent around him. Video from his senior year, if it exists, would result in me adjusting this grade pretty quickly, but the 50 grade is definitely his floor. Elite 11 attendee.

Grade: 50 (Power 5 Starter)

Riley Leonard (Fairhope HS, AL) – Duke Commit

Measurables: 6’4, 203 or 6’5, 205

Positional State Ranking: #2 Dual (AL), #3 QB

HS Background: 7A, biggest schools in the state

Video Watched: Junior Highlights – 247 (5/4 version)

Breakdown: QB checks all the boxes. Tall, athletic, long and lean frame, super projectable. Clean mechanics w/ solid footwork, some effort in the throw. Will need to work on a consistent spiral, some come out like lame ducks. Projectable above average arm strength as frame develops. Accurate, tends to lead his receivers and hit them in stride. Shows accuracy in and out of the pocket. Above average top end speed, shows toughness in his runs. Will likely make his best plays on broken plays, extending plays and getting everything out of a play. High upside QB with some risk and likely needs a redshirt year, but I am a fan.

Justin Lamson (Oak Ridge HS, CA) – Syracuse Commit

Measurables: 6’3, 210

Positional State Ranking: #7 Dual (CA), #10 QB

HS Background: Similar to Peery, I have a really hard time evaluating competition levels for specific districts in CA.

Video Watched: 2019 Junior Season Highlights - 247

Breakdown: Shows solid arm strength w/ advanced escapability and ability to get to top speed quickly. Intriguing QB starter kit as he continues to fill out his frame.

Chayden Peery (Sierra Canyon, CA) – Georgia Tech Commit

Measurables: 6’3, 215

Positional State Ranking: #4 Pro (CA), #8 QB

HS Background: CA is weird from my time in baseball, don’t recognize any of the schools in their conference, but appear to be playing JSerra and Westlake this year, who have some of the best baseball HS facilities and teams in the country.

Breakdown: Accurate thrower shows an ability to throw to spots. Tall, athletic frame, some physical projection. Clean mechanics, occasionally gets long on the release, solid footwork, stays upright in the pocket. Average arm strength. Relies on his accuracy and the anticipatory throws to fit into tight windows. Can buy time with his feet, but not a threat to run. Not the sexiest prospect in terms of tools, but seems to maximize and project well at the next level. Depends on how much you value arm strength vs. accuracy in a starting QB with how much you like him. One of those high floor prospects with starter upside, see some Ian Book in him.

Jacob Rodriguez (Rider HS, TX) – Virginia Commit

Measurables: 6’2, 205

Positional State Ranking: Ranked as an Athlete, Signed as a QB

HS Background: 5A (6A is the biggest)

Breakdown: Sturdy QB shows some ability to get out of the pocket and toughness. Well-proportioned w/ some physical projection, built more and, IMO, projects best as a LB. Outside of the pocket, more agile w/ some wiggle, not really a home run threat, run first. Physical runner w/ some top end speed. As a thrower, shows some arm strength to keep the defense honest w/ some feel for leading his receivers with catchable balls. Could be a solid starter in the right scheme (UVA is probably the right scheme), but very intrigued by what he could do at LB with his speed and physicality.

Grade: 45 (High Level Power 5 Backup) – I prefer as a LB

Emmett Morehead (Episcopal HS, VA) – BC Commit

Measurables: 6’5/6’6, 222/225

Positional State Ranking: #1 Pro (VA), #2 QB

HS Background: Private school, interstate league with MD (didn’t know this league existed). 6 private schools, 435-745 enrollment #’s.

Video Watched: Junior Highlights – 247

Breakdown: Classic 3-star prospect. Big body, super projectable. Clean mechanics w/ solid footwork, flashes quick release at times. Average to slightly above average arm strength. Flashes elusiveness, but may be due to level of competition. Average athleticism. Throws solid deep ball, feel for putting air under the ball. Inconsistent accuracy, flashed hitting guys in route, misses tended to be high/when forced from pocket. Checks all the boxes in a Power 5 QB commit with size, arm strength and some athleticism. Profiles as a depth piece w/ starter upside after a couple years of development.

Grade: 45 (High-level Power 5 back-up)

Santino Marucci (Bartram Trail HS, FL) – Wake Forest Commit

Measurables: 6’1, 190

Positional State Ranking: #2 Pro (FL), #2 QB (FL)

HS Background: 8A (biggest schools in state)

Breakdown: Low slot QB w/ some mobility. Medium, athletic frame w/ some projection. Unique slot, throws low ¾ at times, almost shot puts the football. Not sure if that will work in the ACC with a 6’1 QB, will likely need time to raise the slot to avoid getting passes batted down, flashes higher release as film gets deeper. Athletic with ability to buy time outside of the pocket, pass first outside of the pocket with enough speed to be a threat on RPO’s. Shows deceptive straight line speed. Intriguing starter kit, anytime you have to play with a slot, it scares me.

Grade: 45 (Power 5 Backup QB)

Nate Yarnell (Lake Travis, TX) – Pittsburgh Commit

Measurables: 6’6, 200

Positional State Ranking: #6 Pro (TX), #14 QB

HS Background: 6A (biggest schools in state)

Breakdown: Prototypical size w/ arm strength. XL tall, projectable frame. Solid arm strength w/ occasional length to his release. Had clean pockets all day, shows some escapability when needed, but wasn’t tested. Reliable game manager type w/ ability to hit WR’s in route.

Grade: 45 (High Level Power 5 Backup)

Jay Woolfolk (Benedictine HS, VA) – Virginia Commit

*He is also a UVA baseball commit and baseball is likely his best sport, 90-92, up to 93 this weekend on mound, exit velocity measured at 99.

Measurables: 6’1. 200

Positional State Ranking: #1 Dual (VA), #1 QB

HS Background: VISAA Freelance, hard to get a feel, not mentioned in the alignment table for Virginia high schools.

Video Watched: Highlight – HUDL April 13th

Breakdown: Elusive QB with arm strength. Medium, athletic frame w/ projection. Raw mechanically as a thrower, relies on his premium arm strength to make up for lower half going every direction. Project with high upside thanks to the arm strength. More first step quickness and elusiveness as opposed to top end speed, 6.96 sixty in July at a baseball showcase. Probably ends up in baseball, but intriguing top end skill-set if devotes himself to football.

Grade: 45 (High Risk Starter Upside)

Jordan Moore (Loyola Blakefield HS, MD) – Duke Commit

Measurables: 6’2, 175

Positional State Ranking: #1 Dual (MD), #2 QB

HS Background: MIAA Freelance? Looks like 2 good teams and 2 bad teams.

Video Watched: Junior Highlights - 247

Breakdown: Athlete playing QB. Had to double check, but according to an interview, they took him as a QB. I think his best position would be WR or RB, where he can be a threat in open space. Since he is a QB, gotta evaluate him as a QB. Run first, intriguing top-end speed and wiggle. At his best outside of the pocket creating with his legs. High effort throw to get the arm strength for some deep balls, long release. QB success will ultimately come down to how much defenses would have to dictate to stop him running and if he will have the arm strength to capitalize on 1 on 1’s down the field. Would have been graded as a 50 as a WR or RB, elusive, athletic with hip wiggle and a threat in space.

Grade: 40 (Backup QB) – I prefer as WR/RB, definite P5 athlete.

Some of my separate take-aways:

- Nearly everyone has tools to be a P5 QB, at least a back-up and profile as a starter at a G5 program as a junior.

- Lewis' game film must be terrible, no clue how he is not higher rated (current 3*). See some Lamar Jackson there (which I feel like is a comp that probably gets thrown around too much).

- Lot of talent entering the ACC under center. Will the OL's be able to protect to keep them upright or does there need to be a higher focus on dual threats in the conference? I know we focus on Syracuse, but was far from the only ACC program to have significant protection issues.

Seen a higher degree of conversation than normal centering around how the class is ranked by the services and can it really be ranked like that? Can the recruiting services be trusted with all the questions that surround them?

Figured would dive in to a position by position look at the currently committed recruits in the ACC (not Notre Dame) and see what I thought of them!

I have no evaluation background as it relates to football. Spent 10 years in baseball, including the last couple years evaluating high school talent on the side from a real-world job. Graduated from MLB Scout School and have worked with MLB teams for 3 years, USA Baseball for 2 years, coached a NAIA power for 2 years as a recruiting coordinator and then ran the state of Tennessee for a 3rd party scouting service for a year and have been assisting since I left. So, I am used to putting evaluations in the public realm.

From my experience, overall rankings mean nothing and I hated doing them as an evaluator. I really tried to nail down my positional rankings and overall grades (stayed private) on each player when preparing to go public and then cobble together overall rankings from there. So, I put more value on positional rankings and where the player aligns in their state.

With that said, it is an open board and I am not a fluent football evaluator, so individual evaluations will be limited to a sentence or two on Syracuse prospects especially, as I am not trying to anger or upset anyone and merely try to provide a baseline with which to understand where the class stands. With HS baseball postponed in Tennessee, I have had that itch to evaluate that I wasn’t able to satisfy this year.

All the disclaimers out of the way, dive into QB’s. Will use 247 as a guide for both video and rankings. If no video there, will do a search and list where the video was found. With evaluating off of highlight videos, definitely more of an upside look as opposed to a risk look. Would look for improvements from Jr year film to Sr year film (for those who end up playing).

What I look for in QB’s:

High Schools: What league do they play in? Try to get a read of the competition level.

Body and Mechanics Projection: Body type projectable? Mechanics are clean enough to yield easy growth?

Identify the Profile: Dual Threat, Pocket Passer

Identify the Attributes for Each Profile: Dual Threat (Elusiveness/footwork, Top-end speed, physicality, arm strength/throws in profile), Pocket Passer (Arm strength/throws in profile, mechanics/accuracy, footwork, ability to buy time in pocket with eyes downfield)

My struggles as an evaluator:

- QB footwork on these highlight films. They all start to look the same after awhile.

- So much of a QB evaluation are things highlight film will never show. Tools may be the least important piece of a QB's overall package, as they rely so much on ability to read defenses, mental aptitude, ability to adjust in game and working through progressions. I relate evaluating QB's to evaluating high school hitters. Yea, from talking to you I think you can hit, your mechanics suggest you can hit, but I don't know for sure until I see you face low 90's and above average spin day in and day out (as well as being able to handle failure for the first time, do you shut it down or fight?)
Your last paragraph is spot on. You can have all the tools but if you do not have the mental makeup in games it does not matter.

- Nearly everyone has tools to be a P5 QB, at least a back-up and profile as a starter at a G5 program as a junior.

- Lewis' game film must be terrible, no clue how he is not higher rated (current 3*). See some Lamar Jackson there (which I feel like is a comp that probably gets thrown around too much).

- Lot of talent entering the ACC under center. Will the OL's be able to protect to keep them upright or does there need to be a higher focus on dual threats in the conference? I know we focus on Syracuse, but was far from the only ACC program to have significant protection issues.

Lamar is a generational talent.

Florida State had the ACCs worst line last year and before that it was just as bad. They're going to have more of the same this season.

Lamar is a generational talent.

Florida State had the ACCs worst line last year and before that it was just as bad. They're going to have more of the same this season.
As you continue to mention, bad OL play can have a very negative effect on QB play...but, it can also be said that bad QB play can make an OL look much worse than it is.

Was our OL great against UNC? Obviously not, but they played well enough to score more than six points.

Well, we know Louisville preferred Lamson to him

Why is your breakdown of the SU recruit Lamson so limited compared to all the others 6’2” 205 is sturdy but 6’3” 210 needs to grow into his frame?
Looks like a Rivals report AFTER we get a commitment

Mentioned in the initial write-up, intentionally not doing a super in depth report on Syracuse recruits. It is an open forum and I do not want to be construed as hating on one of Syracuse's recruits for the public to see in depth. Not going to be a negative fan when possible.

Rodriguez frame appears more physical (and he plays more physical) at that 6'2, 205 frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom