ACC Signs 12 Year Agreement with Orange Bowl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Signs 12 Year Agreement with Orange Bowl

What I want to know is who's the moron in the ACC PR office who released this news right before the 4th of July? Talk about amateur hour. No one is paying attention right now! I thought the ACC was making a concerted effort to combat bad press and tell their story better. Off to a bang up start. Idiots.
oh good lord.

children.

do they really have to be the future???

Oh Lord

Ideally Jan 1 would be the Orange at 1pm, Rose at 5pm, and SEC/B12 at 9pm. Just those 3 Bowls that day and no others. That would make the Orange a much bigger deal. Otherwise it is 2nd tier IMO.
Well I am sure you will still have the Outback, Capital One, Gator, and a couple other bowls on New Years Day. That's why playing at 1pm sorta puts the Orange Bowl on "that level"...but like we have been saying their hands were probably tied on this. But I will give the entire SPORT of college football credit for one thing. They are making Jan 1st matter again! That sport is tied to Jan 1st and the past decade or so they have ignored that day.

Also at 1pm on Jan 1st the Orange Bowl is probably going up against the Winter Classic in the NHL more times than not. So its a timeslot where there is a lot going on via other bowls and other stuff.

Ideally Jan 1 would be the Orange at 1pm, Rose at 5pm, and SEC/B12 at 9pm. Just those 3 Bowls that day and no others. That would make the Orange a much bigger deal. Otherwise it is 2nd tier IMO.

Ugh.

Debbie Downer.

The Orange Bowl is hardly second tier and will not be second tier in the future.

Ugh.

Debbie Downer.

The Orange Bowl is hardly second tier and will not be second tier in the future.

If there are two other Bowls at the same time and the Orange is the ACC #1 vs the Insert #3, then it is 2nd tier compared to the Jan 1 night Bowls which have the top 1-2 teams from the other 4 confs. Just a fact. What will be the difference vs the Cap One? It is usually played at 1pm on Jan 1 and has the B1G2 vs the SEC2. I love that we have a nice tie to the Orange Bowl but moving it to 1pm puts it down a notch.

However if it is like this article than the Orange is still a big deal. My question is whether the orange is exclusive to Jan 1 or will the other Bowls not at the top still play Jan 1?

If there are two other Bowls at the same time and the Orange is the ACC #1 vs the Insert #3, then it is 2nd tier compared to the Jan 1 night Bowls which have the top 1-2 teams from the other 4 confs. Just a fact. What will be the difference vs the Cap One? It is usually played at 1pm on Jan 1 and has the B1G2 vs the SEC2. I love that we have a nice tie to the Orange Bowl but moving it to 1pm puts it down a notch.

However if it is like this article than the Orange is still a big deal. My question is whether the orange is exclusive to Jan 1 or will the other Bowls not at the top still play Jan 1?

I just don't understand the endless search for the negative of every positive story that impacts SU Football.

Yes "if" certain things happen those events could negatively impact the Orange Bowl.

I like the article you have linked because it says what I feel. That New Years should be a time to celebrate college football. Along those lines I think that many will enjoy watching the Orange Bowl at 1 pm on New Years Day knowing that they have to go back to work the next day - after a long night out the day before.

I guess it won't matter what time they play the Orange Bowl on New Years Day if one accepts the notion that the ACC is not the same kind of draw as the SEC or the Big XII. Obviously the SEC and I guess the Big XII have more appeal than the ACC. But that can change and hopefully will change.

I would like to think though that if the Orange Bowl match includes headline programs - Florida State v. ND for example - it will draw.

Back to the article you linked- once again I get the feeling that we are going back to the past with the new BCS arrangement - a return to a time when more teams had a chance to win the NC and a time when New Years was all about college bowl games.

I wonder if the new system will hurt the NHL hockey outdoor event.

I just don't understand the endless search for the negative of every positive story that impacts SU Football.

Yes "if" certain things happen those event could negatively impact the Orange Bowl.

I like the article you have linked because it says what I feel. That New Years should be a time to celebrate college football. Along those lines I think that many will enjoy watching the Orange Bowl at 1 pm on New Years Day knowing that they have to go back to work the next day - after a long night out the day before.

I guess it won't matter what time they play the Orange Bowl on New Years Day if one accepts the notion that the ACC is not the same kind of draw as the SEC or the Big XII. Obviously the SEC and I guess the Big XII have more appeal than the ACC. But that can change and hopefully will change.

I would like to think though that if the Orange Bowl match includes headline programs - Florida State v. ND for example - it will draw.

Back to the article you linked- once again I get the feeling that we are going back to the past with the new BCS arrangement - a return to a time when more teams had a chance to win the NC and a time when New Years was all about college bowl games.

I wonder if the new system will hurt the NHL hockey outdoor event.

There is still a lot TBD. I wonder if the switch it to Jan 1 and Jan 2 for the playoff though. East Coast ratings might not do well for 8pm on New Years Eve. As to the rest of the former BCS Bowls IMO they should try and lock up their empty slots. The Rose is done. The SEC/B12 should just align with the Sugar. That leaves one Orange slot and 2 Fiesta. If I am the Fiesta I would look to sign up the B12 #2 and the B1G #2. Which leaves the SEC #2 for the Orange. By doing so the Bowls get what they want and the Big 5 is able to totally marginalize the non Big 5 conferences and ND. So last year would have been as so...

Playoff #1 LSU vs #4 Oregon
Playoff #2 Okie St vs #3 Bama
Stanford next best P12 vs Wisconsin B1G champ
Arkansas best remaining SEC vs K St best remaining B12
Oklahoma next best B12 vs Michigan next best B1G
Clemson ACC Champ vs South Carolina next best SEC

Which means that ND, WV BE Champ, Boise, TCU MWC Champ, Houston CUSA Champ, and other 3 conf Champs get left out. Since they have access to the Top 4 playoff can they really complain?

Clemson ACC Champ vs South Carolina next best SEC
Doubtful. Part of the selection committee's mandate is to avoid regular season rematches. Those two in-state rivals play each other every year.

What you will see over the next few years is lots of smaller bowls dying and going away. You will see sponsors and advertisers throw all their money at the new FINAL 4 playoff. And these other bowls will go away. Because as a company you are going to want to advertise on the games with the most eyeballs. And if you can get more bang for your buck with 4 or 5 commercials during a Final 4 game you will get more exposure than actually putting on some minor/crap bowl that nobody is watching anyway being played in a half-empty stadium. Just like in college basketball how the NIT has become such a non-factor in March with the "have-not's" that is how it will happen in college football. The Non-Final 4 Bowls are in an impossible spot now. Especially the smaller bowls.

You will have the Final 4 getting all the attention. And there will always be a few other bowls, but not nearly as many as their are currently and many will die and go away. And in a decade or so when the playoff probably expands past 4 teams, more and more smaller bowls will die and go away. Money runs this stuff and the big sponsors that make the bowls go like will want the games with the most eyeballs (ie the Final 4) and will throw there money there. The Orange, Fiesta, Rose, Cotton bowls aren't ever going away. But you will see bowls like the Champs Bowl, Gator Bowl, Outback, Pinstripe, Music City, Beef O Brady, Car Care, Sun...etc and bowls on that level possibly go away in time. This Final 4 just makes it harder for the non-major bowls to compete. A couple will survive and go on but a bunch will just die and go away in the near future.

Doubtful. Part of the selection committee's mandate is to avoid regular season rematches. Those two in-state rivals play each other every year.

The point I was trying to make is to have the committee only pick the FF and to have a tie in for the actual Bowls. If you want you can sub in Georgia instead.

you mean the MILLIONS who make it the ratings winner every year by watching, like myself???

start it at 330.

ill join in after the Orange Bowl, watch till end, then put on the Rose.

easy.

the NYR wont play for a number of years anyway, i can miss a period or so without them.

unless its snowing.
I find this very surprising - people actually tune in to watch a regular season hockey game, even one that doesn't involve their favorite team, because it's outdoors? I can see some novelty if it's snowing like crazy, but otherwise I'm shocked it's not dead last in the ratings like every other hockey game on TV.