ACC to Rethink 9 game schedule? | Syracusefan.com

ACC to Rethink 9 game schedule?

Don

2nd String
I read on the ESPN Blog that Swofford said that the athletic directors may rethink the nine game schedule and perhaps go back to the eight game because teams like Clemson and FL State have traditional games against rivals that they need to play.

I think this would be a great move for us as well. Having a balanced schedule of 4 conference home games and only 4 road games gives us a chance to schedule more home games instead of sometimes being stuck with only five games a year if you count the games played in the meadowlands.

I think it also gives us a chance to schedule a Texas school or California school to home and home series as Marrone and company make inroads in those areas recruting wise. I also wouldn't mind keeping a series of games going with Northwestern.

I hope they go back to the 8 games schedule. I think it opens up a lot of scheduling opportunities and helps negate the loss of homes games to the meadowlands. Plus if we sign an agreement with say Ohio State to play games in the meadowlands and you add the nine game conference schedule in the year when you already have five conference road games that makes for a brutal schedule .

I'd be in favor of 8 also. But whether it is 8 or 9, we better not see anymore 5 game home schedules. That would be a joke.

ACC 4 home, 4 away. OOC, 2 home 2 away or 3 home, 1 away. Sometimes 6 sometimes, 7 home games. Also, home means the Dome.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Can they really go back to 8? Wasn't the TV contract predicated on a 9 game schedule? Or can the substitute an OOC (non-1AA, obviously) for a conference game and still meet the terms of the contract?

the last thing SU should be doing is playing teams from cali and texas.

the ooc games Syracuse should play...and pound the shlitz out of are...rut, cincy, lville and maybe memphis.

aka...jersey, ohio, kentucky and tennessee. they are playing everywhere else in the 'east' every year.

they should NEVER play storz, for they are useless and the Orange already will be playing the only team in new england which matters...every year.

Oh Lord

On the years you don't play ND you'd need 3 OOC games. 4 when not playing ND. It does allow for some more flexibility and as bees you need to make these home games as much as possible.

You could do a BCS home and away. A mac level team in a 2 for 1 and the annual D1AA home game. mac's are going to have no choice now but to do 2 for 1 deals.

Can they really go back to 8? Wasn't the TV contract predicated on a 9 game schedule? Or can the substitute an OOC (non-1AA, obviously) for a conference game and still meet the terms of the contract?

I believe it does. That being said the difference between 9 games and 8 games is a total of 7 games a year. With the 2-3 added ND "league" games, going to 8 games would only be 4-5 less conf games a year. Would that be a deal breaker for ESPN?

I read on the ESPN Blog that Swofford said that the athletic directors may rethink the nine game schedule and perhaps go back to the eight game because teams like Clemson and FL State have traditional games against rivals that they need to play.

I think this would be a great move for us as well. Having a balanced schedule of 4 conference home games and only 4 road games gives us a chance to schedule more home games instead of sometimes being stuck with only five games a year if you count the games played in the meadowlands.

I think it also gives us a chance to schedule a Texas school or California school to home and home series as Marrone and company make inroads in those areas recruting wise. I also wouldn't mind keeping a series of games going with Northwestern.

I hope they go back to the 8 games schedule. I think it opens up a lot of scheduling opportunities and helps negate the loss of homes games to the meadowlands. Plus if we sign an agreement with say Ohio State to play games in the meadowlands and you add the nine game conference schedule in the year when you already have five conference road games that makes for a brutal schedule .

The most important reason to go back to only 8 games is to give ND some breathing room for still fitting in its traditional rivals. This is all about facilitating ND's full entry. It's not about Fla State or Clemson.

wonder if they could work the nd games into conference games if your playing nd you only play 8 true conference games +nd vs 9 conference games for everyone not playing nd.since its going to rotate on when you play nd it could be worked out

if notre dame ever does join in football it will be an 8 game schedule so they can play navy,usc,stanford and a rotating big 10 team

Even if its in the contract for 9 games, adding Notre Dame changes everything. All Swofford and Swarbrick have to do is hint that, Notre Dame would never agree to join a conference with a 9 game conference schedule, and it gets deleted.

I think the NCAA will approve a 13th game within this decade.

Even if its in the contract for 9 games, adding Notre Dame changes everything. All Swofford and Swarbrick have to do is hint that, Notre Dame would never agree to join a conference with a 9 game conference schedule, and it gets deleted.

I don't think it is just an ND issue. Nine games + the five ND games would cramp the scheduling for just about everybody.

if notre dame ever does join in football it will be an 8 game schedule so they can play navy,usc,stanford and a rotating big 10 team

I've been hearing plausible Navy rumors.

You mean like the ACC adding Navy to get ND as a full football member? That's a pretty steep price to pay for the ACC.
Not sure Navy is under consideration...but having Navy in the ACC to get Notre Dame "all in" is not such a bad idea...and by the way the Army-Navy game is one of highest rated sports shows on TV--and provides ACC with more national and international fans...an ACC logo on Navy and Notre Dame is worth a fistfull of dollars!

You mean like the ACC adding Navy to get ND as a full football member? That's a pretty steep price to pay for the ACC.

Yes, it is. Which is why they didn't do it. FSU and MD were particularly unenthused, or so the rumor goes. But time marches on, along with a larger exit fee.

It would have to be FB only, of course. Or maybe lax too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom