ACC TV Deal @ $19 million/year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC TV Deal @ $19 million/year

Hello everyone...isn't this fun running numbers so lets start with what we know:
1. Just announced that beginning in 2014 the ACC as one of the Top 5 conferences is going to receive an equal share of $91,000,000 for the conference...divide by 14 and we have $6,500,000 per ACC team...
--now the other conferences less regarded conferences are going to share $17,000,000+...glad 'Cuse ACC
2. Be careful with math and Notre Dame as the home team --ACC gets 3 games and Notre Dame gets 2 games and then it changes to Notre Dame 3 games and ACC two games
--as previously discussed in earlier threads think of this as $1,500,000 additional per ACC team a year...over the $17,100,000 already negotiated...
--negotiations with ACC presently include point 2 as well as other potential dollar increases for 'Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville as well as a look at "eyeballs" which we discussed in another thread...ACC is third most watch conference games...so this too should result in an increase
3. ACC further negotiating with ESPN on potential ACC network...this will lead to an increase of dollars for third tier rights as well as ACC network revenue for other sports and information content...source has indicated this is moving forward
4. ACC is looking into football bowl compensation as well as NCAA March Madness compensation being shared but providing additional dollars off the top to those teams performing--previously discussed thread...
5. Talks have been initiated with Madison Square Garden as well as other venues in North to discuss BBall tournament at least on rotation basis if not permanent...just opened again recently per source

I believe from what I am told, the Maryland exit fee must be held close to the $50,000,000...a negotiated sum a bit less is acceptable. Additionally, per source, the GOR is not dead...but we must understand that its legal winnability may/may not be as strong as some like the Dude WVU thinks. However, ESPN is looking for something from the ACC to show cohesion--no one leaving any time soon at least for 5 years to the look-in...ACC is also working on this.

The next several weeks and month are going to be a roller coaster ride...the ACC is doing everything to remain strong and united...after all, how much dollars are needed to be secure...if all this is a $$$ race than the B1G and SEC are going to carry the day. I hope this helps...understand should have more within a week or so to pass on...keep the faith and GOOOO 'Cuse!

Thanks Arb.

Plus Tier 3 revenue to each school? ... or Tier 3 as part of future ACC Network money bump? I think others here have said SU gets like $5M from Tier 3. Seems high to me but what do I know?

Hello everyone...isn't this fun running numbers so lets start with what we know:
1. Just announced that beginning in 2014 the ACC as one of the Top 5 conferences is going to receive an equal share of $91,000,000 for the conference...divide by 14 and we have $6,500,000 per ACC team...
--now the other conferences less regarded conferences are going to share $17,000,000+...glad 'Cuse ACC
2. Be careful with math and Notre Dame as the home team --ACC gets 3 games and Notre Dame gets 2 games and then it changes to Notre Dame 3 games and ACC two games
--as previously discussed in earlier threads think of this as $1,500,000 additional per ACC team a year...over the $17,100,000 already negotiated...
--negotiations with ACC presently include point 2 as well as other potential dollar increases for 'Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville as well as a look at "eyeballs" which we discussed in another thread...ACC is third most watch conference games...so this too should result in an increase
3. ACC further negotiating with ESPN on potential ACC network...this will lead to an increase of dollars for third tier rights as well as ACC network revenue for other sports and information content...source has indicated this is moving forward
4. ACC is looking into football bowl compensation as well as NCAA March Madness compensation being shared but providing additional dollars off the top to those teams performing--previously discussed thread...
5. Talks have been initiated with Madison Square Garden as well as other venues in North to discuss BBall tournament at least on rotation basis if not permanent...just opened again recently per source

I believe from what I am told, the Maryland exit fee must be held close to the $50,000,000...a negotiated sum a bit less is acceptable. Additionally, per source, the GOR is not dead...but we must understand that its legal winnability may/may not be as strong as some like the Dude WVU thinks. However, ESPN is looking for something from the ACC to show cohesion--no one leaving any time soon at least for 5 years to the look-in...ACC is also working on this.

The next several weeks and month are going to be a roller coaster ride...the ACC is doing everything to remain strong and united...after all, how much dollars are needed to be secure...if all this is a $$$ race than the B1G and SEC are going to carry the day. I hope this helps...understand should have more within a week or so to pass on...keep the faith and GOOOO 'Cuse!

Does the $91M include or exclude Orange Bowl money?

Does the $91M include or exclude Orange Bowl money?
http://espn.go.com/college-football...age-91-million-new-playoff-format-sources-say
No, that is the new playoff money the Big 5 are getting from ESPN for the playoffs each year and the Group of 5 conferences are getting 17.25 per conference(Yikes for UConn being in this group). The ACC is also getting 27.5 million a year from the Orange Bowl TV rights.
The Big 5 are splitting 75% or 15% each and the other 5 conferences are splitting 25% or 5% each. That is the definition of haves and have nots.

if we don't get the ACC tourney at MSG it would be nice to get an early season ACC showcase there each year. Maybe a weekend of 4-8 games with ACC teams versus various opponents.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...age-91-million-new-playoff-format-sources-say
No, that is the new playoff money the Big 5 are getting from ESPN for the playoffs each year and the Group of 5 conferences are getting 17.25 per conference(Yikes for UConn being in this group). The ACC is also getting 27.5 million a year from the Orange Bowl TV rights.
The Big 5 are splitting 75% or 15% each and the other 5 conferences are splitting 25% or 5% each. That is the definition of haves and have nots.

So then about $27M per team in total (give or take) ... plus Tier 3 revenue and/or a future ACC Network bump.

correct...this is just from ESPN and the new BCS contract...Orange Bowl will be on top of this...understand that the Notre Dame game in Orange Bowl, the two in the contract period...may result in an extra $1 million to $2,000,000 more per ACC team as Notre Dame does not receive equal payment as does B1G and SEC...Notre Dame $$ still being negotiated.

note...here is a good explanation of the new BCS payout. Note the EQUAL sharing of $$$ for the Top 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, B1G, Pac 12 and SEC) all receive $91,000,000 as indicated above...other conferences receive $17mm per conference...Notre Dame around $4,000,000---may be better off in ACC.
Also note that this DOES NOT INCLUDE ORANGE BOWL $$$ as indicated above...

It is good to be 'Cuse!

Thanks, arb. Question about the bolded text above. Are you referring to MD's winnability? I assume the Dude thinks MD can easily get out of the $50M exit fee, but I wanted to be sure I was reading it correctly.

19 million + 6.5 million we will get from the 91 million a year, plus whatever we get for our coaches shows, media rights, advertising means SU will plush with cash with the move to the ACC for close to 30 million dollars a year. If SU isn't making 5 million from the broadcasting, advertising I would be shocked. 19+6.5+5(my guess)= 30.5 million a year. Now we need to upgrade the football facilities and can start banking cash eventually to start up a replacement for the Dome. If we spend about 5 million dollars on football coaching staff, 4 million dollars on basketball coaching staff, 5 million dollars on all other sports coaching staffs that is 14 million dollars a year. We can bank close 10 million a year towards a new Football/Basketball facility.

note...here is a good explanation of the new BCS payout. Note the EQUAL sharing of $$$ for the Top 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, B1G, Pac 12 and SEC) all receive $91,000,000 as indicated above...other conferences receive $17mm per conference...Notre Dame around $4,000,000---may be better off in ACC.
Also note that this DOES NOT INCLUDE ORANGE BOWL $$$ as indicated above...
I just read the article and am confused. It said that the deal is for X amount, of which Y is slated for overhead for various purposes. Of the amount remaining, each of the "Big 5" conferences would get avg. $51M per year, not $91M. The "Big 4" conferences each get an additional $40M for their big bowl tie-in, while the ACC gets $27.5 from the Orange Bowl.

So after the big bowl is factored in, the "Big 4" get $91M each, and the ACC gets $78.5M.

It leaves an average of $345 million annually, which the commissioners have decided to split in two ways: 75 percent ($258.75 million) divided equally among the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC, and the remaining 25 percent ($86.25 million) divided among the Big East, MWC, MAC, C-USA and Sun Belt.
That alone gives the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC an average of $51.75 million annually. The SEC, Big 12, Pac-12 and Big Ten also each will receive an additional $40 million annually for their contract bowl deals with ESPN: Allstate Sugar (SEC, Big 12) and Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio (Pac-12, Big 12).
The ACC also will earn at least an additional $27.5 million annually for its ESPN contract bowl deal with the Orange. The ACC's opponent will be either Notre Dame or a team from the SEC and Big Ten. If the SEC or Big Ten places a team in the Orange Bowl, that league would earn another $27.5 million, increasing the SEC or Big Ten's playoff revenue share to $118 million.
Notre Dame's exact compensation for playing in the Orange Bowl during the ESPN deal is not known, but sources told ESPN it would be "substantially less" than the $27.5 million payout to an ACC, SEC or Big Ten team.
In the new playoff format, Notre Dame is expected to receive an average of about $4 million during the 12-year contract, sources said. If the Irish play in the national semifinals or one of the six major bowls, Notre Dame would receive a great deal more than the $4 million.

I wouldn't mess with hoops. It's working as-is.
it'll be working when they start getting to final fours again

plus scheduling an interesting early December Saturday home game each year would be a big help for football recruiting

we will also get more $$ when the orange bowl opponent is notre dame(2 times over 10 yrs?)

we will also get more $$ when the orange bowl opponent is notre dame(2 times over 10 yrs?)

correct...this is just from ESPN and the new BCS contract...Orange Bowl will be on top of this...understand that the Notre Dame game in Orange Bowl, the two in the contract period...may result in an extra $1 million to $2,000,000 more per ACC team as Notre Dame does not receive equal payment as does B1G and SEC...Notre Dame $$ still being negotiated.

Wow, the ND amount still not negotiated? Hope it isn't higher than $15 million.

Arb can you ask your source, if they know, to clarify precisely what happens with OB payout when it is a semi-final game? The others clearly get $40 million annually even when their bowl game is a semi-final game. With the ACC the sole rights holder, I believe that for those 4 years the ACC will get the entire $55 million but this has not been reported anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Neil

or else...what?
the exit fee of $50,000,000 or something close is necessary to finally shut down all the rumors and clamoring...however, the new BCS dollars should go a long way for stability...regardless the ACC is now going to survive and thrive even if a team or two leave over time...which may/ may not occur...at this moment, I would say we are in good shape.

I've seen that $30m+ number elsewhere. I think it includes all revenue including all their bowl money.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

$30M for the Big 12 doesn't surprise me with only 10 teams when you factor in all tiers of TV, bowl, and now playoff money.

ACC would probably be around $25M per team you would think.

The denominator is the biggest key. I'm not so sure guys like the Dude understand that when they try to do math.

The denominator is the biggest key. I'm not so sure guys like the Dude understand that when they try to do math.

???? b12 has less teams so their denominator is advantageous isnt it?

???? b12 has less teams so their denominator is advantageous isnt it?

Yes, it's advantageous. But guys like the Dude use $30M per team as a reason why he can keep up his rumors about FSU and Clemson going to the Big 12. They'll make $5M more per year!

Not when you divide by 12.

I think the Big 12 is smart to stay at 10. They have 2 heavyweights, so they're secure. They make more money. They don't have to worry about a Conf Championship game upset knocking one of their teams out of the 4 team playoff.

obviously, third tier is it's own thing. But does the big 12 split the rest of the pie evenly? I kind of remember it was lopsided with Texas and OK taking bigger cuts... maybe that was the old deal?

Big 12 is no longer a first strike threat in my opinion. ACC needs to get a network going to defend against the Big Ten. Really, just to continue to be competitive. The SEC, well let's just not piss them off.