ACC Updates 2020 Football Schedule (10 plus 1) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Updates 2020 Football Schedule (10 plus 1)

So give me the rationale used to transform our 8 game original schedule to a 10 game schedule. I guess I get scratching FSU due to travel concerns, but why flip two road games to home, and one home to road? If the 2021 schedule is unchanged that means BC and Wake play at Syracuse three straight years and we play at Louisville three in a row.
maybe there planning on the prior 2020 schedule for next year?

I don’t see them concerned when there home partying and hanging out ! Hope they don’t ask for $$ ! If there Truly concerned its there right to be but I doubt most are .

It’s all meaningless
Dust. Wind. Dude.
Wq7b1wO.gif

If the Big Ten doesn’t play that is their right.

I don’t want players put in unsafe situations.
These conference only schedules can easily be flipped to the spring. If we lose an entire year that would suck but it’s just sports.

These conference only schedules can easily be flipped to the spring. If we lose an entire year that would suck but it’s just sports.
Pat Forde did say that starting training camp on time was the expectation.

Its puzzling to me, that teams pushed out the starts, instead of opting for a week Zero. Almost like a game of chicken, to see who goes 1st.

Week zero seems like the safest week to me, with students just arriving. After that, each week has a geometrical increase of being less likely.

I will still be shocked if a season occurs. I was hopeful a month ago but that hope is gone.

Seeing them plod through, with reckless abandon, has me thinking we may actually get a few games in.

So give me the rationale used to transform our 8 game original schedule to a 10 game schedule. I guess I get scratching FSU due to travel concerns, but why flip two road games to home, and one home to road? If the 2021 schedule is unchanged that means BC and Wake play at Syracuse three straight years and we play at Louisville three in a row.
I would love to see a breakdown of the changes made to the schedule for each school in the conference. Don’t have the time to do it now but I suspect that we had an unusually large number of changes made to our schedule. I will give the ACC the benefit of the doubt and assume a lot of it was driven by the desire to create as many games as possible between schools close to each other. Syracuse, BC, Pitt and ND had little to gain doing this, maybe UM as well, so these schools got moved randomly to make things better for the schools in middle of the conference.

Thought I would do a little speculation on how the SU schedule will end up looking.

We know the season will start the week of September 7th to 12th.
We know there will be 2 byes.

We know Syracuse has asked to not be scheduled to play a home game for the first 2 weeks of the season, to allow the dome renovation to complete.

I will also speculate that when possible, the ACC will try and keep games previously scheduled on the same dates. That will help with charter plane reservations, hotel reservations, limit cascade effects of making other changes, etc.

I am also going to assume we play Liberty as our OOC opponent. It sounds like that will happen if they are willing to follow the ACC COVID testing protocols. I assume given the money at stake, they will.

Given all that, this is what I came up with...

Saturday, September 12th Away game at ACC venue. UNC, who was supposed to play Auburn
Saturday, September 19th Away game at ACC venue. ND lost Arkansas, would be a good fit
Saturday, September 26th Home game vs BC. They are open and the best fit for reopening the Dome
Saturday, October 3rd Away game at Louisville. Was initially home game at Syracuse
Saturday, October 10th First bye week
Saturday, October 17th Home game OOC against Liberty
Saturday, October 24th Away game at Clemson, as originally scheduled
Saturday, October 31st Home game against Georgia Tech, as originally scheduled
Saturday, November 7th Home game at Wake Forest (was away game at Wake before)
Saturday, November 14th Home game vs NC State (as originally scheduled)
Saturday, November 21st Second bye week
Saturday, November 28th Away game at Pittsburgh, as originally scheduled
Saturday, December 3rd Home game vs Duke

What looked likely to be a 4-0 start has become far, far more difficult.

If this schedule happens, I think the goal is to survive the first 6 games and salvage a 2-4 record.

The last 5 games are much more reasonable. We would do well to finish those games 4-1. Hope we can hold up injury wise and COVID wise through this tough season.

I for one would be pleased with a 6-5 record facing this schedule.

Fun to speculate...I truly hope the season gets played.

Last edited:
Need a cupcake not Buffalo or Liberty. We can beat Uconn and get a lot of players in the game.
We will be playing Liberty as our OOC unless they say no or cannot live up to the ACC covid guidelines. The next in line would be WMU if they are willing to play here this year and there next. After that it is anybodies guess.
I am of the opinion they are going to do everything possible to make this work, and barring any major outbreaks(more than a few cases) this season will be played.
After all if the students can be in school then certainly football can happen. Colleges can not say we cannot play football and still operate with other students attending classes. If they were to decide to shut everything down the costs to the college system would be enormous, and I am not talking merely monetary costs.

Last edited:
Pat Forde did say that starting training camp on time was the expectation.

Its puzzling to me, that teams pushed out the starts, instead of opting for a week Zero. Almost like a game of chicken, to see who goes 1st.

Week zero seems like the safest week to me, with students just arriving. After that, each week has a geometrical increase of being less likely.
That's exactly what it is.

Yes. Everyone knows this. It's a small part of the question. While certainly less likely to die, many experience heart and lung damage. (I'll avoid the obvious spreading to the community portion)

Last edited:
I would love to see a breakdown of the changes made to the schedule for each school in the conference. Don’t have the time to do it now but I suspect that we had an unusually large number of changes made to our schedule. I will give the ACC the benefit of the doubt and assume a lot of it was driven by the desire to create as many games as possible between schools close to each other. Syracuse, BC, Pitt and ND had little to gain doing this, maybe UM as well, so these schools got moved randomly to make things better for the schools in middle of the conference.

Thought I would do a little speculation on how the SU schedule will end up looking.

We know the season will start the week of September 7th to 12th.
We know there will be 2 byes.

We know Syracuse has asked to not be scheduled to play a home game for the first 2 weeks of the season, to allow the dome renovation to complete.

I will also speculate that when possible, the ACC will try and keep games previously scheduled on the same dates. That will help with charter plane reservations, hotel reservations, limit cascade effects of making other changes, etc.

I am also going to assume we play Liberty as our OOC opponent. It sounds like that will happen if they are willing to follow the ACC COVID testing protocols. I assume given the money at stake, they will.

Given all that, this is what I came up with...

Saturday, September 12th Away game at ACC venue. UNC, who was supposed to play Auburn
Saturday, September 19th Away game at ACC venue. ND lost Arkansas, would be a good fit
Saturday, September 26th Home game vs BC. They are open and the best fit for reopening the Dome
Saturday, October 3rd Away game at Louisville. Was initially home game at Syracuse
Saturday, October 10th First bye week
Saturday, October 17th Home game OOC against Liberty
Saturday, October 24th Away game at Clemson, as originally scheduled
Saturday, October 31st Home game against Georgia Tech, as originally scheduled
Saturday, November 7th Home game at Wake Forest (was away game at Wake before)
Saturday, November 14th Home game vs NC State (as originally scheduled)
Saturday, November 21st Second bye week
Saturday, November 28th Away game at Pittsburgh, as originally scheduled
Saturday, December 3rd Home game vs Duke

What looked likely to be a 4-0 start has become far, far more difficult.

If this schedule happens, I think the goal is to survive the first 6 games and salvage a 2-4 record.

The last 5 games are much more reasonable. We would do well to finish those games 4-1. Hope we can hold up injury wise and COVID wise through this tough season.

I for one would be pleased with a 6-5 record facing this schedule.

Fun to speculate...I truly hope the season gets played.
For UVa -
OOC Cancelled:
Sept 7 vs. Georgia in Atlanta
Sept 12 Home vs. VMI
OOC Unknown:
Home vs. UCONN
Away vs. Old Dominion
ACC Added:
Home vs. NC State
Home vs. BC
Away vs. FSU
Away vs. Wake
Miami switched from Home to Away.
Duke switched from Away to Home
ACC Lost:
Away vs. Ga Tech
Home vs. Pitt

IF the Big 10 cancels the season, every other conference will quickly follow suit and cancel. No conference will want to come off looking like a monster forcing kids to play and put them at high risk to catch this virus when you have one of the biggest conferences in the country canceling the season and giving up lots of money.

And I don't see moving the season to the spring as a viable option as any quality Junior and Senior will OPT OUT and just not play as they will prepare for the Combine and NFL Draft. And the NFL isn't moving their combine or draft dates for a college football season to accommodate those athletes.

Unless these kids opt out the season will start
And then quickly fold due to overacton of positive cases