ACC Winter Meetings: Whispers-Whispers Everywhere | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Winter Meetings: Whispers-Whispers Everywhere

Lou_C
Here is David Teel who is the most plugged in ACC reporter saying exactly what I said to you above

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-nine-game-acc-football,0,2115978.post

Florida State and Clemson will get something from the other schools if the conference goes to 9 games. The money from an ACC network would basically mean the 4 conferences to survive will be the Pac-12, B1G, SEC, and ACC. Big XII without a network will become a haves and have not conference with the schools worth more making more.

Heres the thing, the biggest sports network in the world is ESPN. The ACC is in Bed with ESPN. ESPN is all in with the ACC and SEC. The B1G, Pac, and Big XII have some content with ESPN, but they are also with Fox. ESPN will do anything to help advance the SEC and ACC and that is why I believe the ACC will be safe. If the ACC is ever under pressure from conference allignment, ESPN will step in to protect its most valuable asset, and I say it is its most valuable asset because it has the greatest population of any conference, and because ESPN controls all of its programming unlike the other conferences.

Heres the thing, the biggest sports network in the world is ESPN. The ACC is in Bed with ESPN. ESPN is all in with the ACC and SEC. The B1G, Pac, and Big XII have some content with ESPN, but they are also with Fox. ESPN will do anything to help advance the SEC and ACC and that is why I believe the ACC will be safe. If the ACC is ever under pressure from conference allignment, ESPN will step in to protect its most valuable asset, and I say it is its most valuable asset because it has the greatest population of any conference, and because ESPN controls all of its programming unlike the other conferences.
Just a correction Big XII football is split between FOX and ESPN, but all of their basketball is with ESPN. Pac-12 is split 50/50 between football and basketball with ESPN/FOX.

B1G is the one in the bed with FOX due to the BTN. However, because the B1G football conference has been under-performing I am sure ESPN will attempt to resign atleast half of the B1G package if the B1G expects to get insane money I don't see them getting insane money. They will be rich either 1 or 2, but the B1G football product is trending down. They have elite brands in Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State, but until they win BCS bowls more consistently and they recruit in the SEC, ACC, Pac-12 footprints the conference is going to get less and less athletic compared to the other 4 conferences. ESPN will product the ACC though I agree with your overall point.

the big is in trouble -top heavy at both football and basketball- the addition of joisey state and maryland watered down a watered down product -this will turn out to be a big mistake in 5 plus years when they see just what joisey state is all about- if pay for what you want cable grows-the big could be in real trouble outside the rust belt

Just a correction Big XII football is split between FOX and ESPN, but all of their basketball is with ESPN. Pac-12 is split 50/50 between football and basketball with ESPN/FOX.

B1G is the one in the bed with FOX due to the BTN. However, because the B1G football conference has been under-performing I am sure ESPN will attempt to resign atleast half of the B1G package if the B1G expects to get insane money I don't see them getting insane money. They will be rich either 1 or 2, but the B1G football product is trending down. They have elite brands in Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State, but until they win BCS bowls more consistently and they recruit in the SEC, ACC, Pac-12 footprints the conference is going to get less and less athletic compared to the other 4 conferences. ESPN will product the ACC though I agree with your overall point.

I know B1G is in bed with Fox, but still the Pac and Big XII are only 50/50 where as ACC is 100% and the SEC is probably like 75/25 (ESPN/CBS). Ultimately though, ESPN will do everything in its power to grow the ACC, and that is the benefit of being all in with them.

I know B1G is in bed with Fox, but still the Pac and Big XII are only 50/50 where as ACC is 100% and the SEC is probably like 75/25 (ESPN/CBS). Ultimately though, ESPN will do everything in its power to grow the ACC, and that is the benefit of being all in with them.
notre dame see's that also

Hope the ACC network launches soon. Production value of these games not on one of the major ESPN networks is "less than optimal." BC game was actually carried in standard def only here and last night's single camera angle that looked like it was from Charlotte was painful.

I don't care for the 13 game schedule idea. The playoff will eventually go to 8 teams (that would be the perfect number), so the teams in the NC game will end up playing 17 games. That's too many games. I think the sixteen they'll play now is pushing it.

I don't care for the 13 game schedule idea. The playoff will eventually go to 8 teams (that would be the perfect number), so the teams in the NC game will end up playing 17 games. That's too many games. I think the sixteen they'll play now is pushing it.
Don't the lower divisions play a 16 team playoff? If so, what is the net difference?

I would rather go to an 8 team playoff before a 13 game regular season.

Agreed. 13 game regular season would be insane. Cut back if anything.

Don't the lower divisions play a 16 team playoff? If so, what is the net difference?
If they play a 12 game regular season, there isn't one. I look our schedule for next season and see where are buy weeks are, and just imagine that with a 13th game it could be worse.

The BiG will be fine in terms of TV $$$.

Being top heavy actually helps them in that regard since 'the not top heavy' parts is for the BTN anyway. And the top heavy stuff is what garners TV ratings for ESPN.

Hopefully the ACC will get there in football where FSU, Miami, Clemson, and VT consistently get the ratings that the top heavy BiG gets to increase the conference's TV $$$ at one of these 5 year "look-in" windows.

I have no worries about that when it comes to ACC basketball, where in a few years I expect ACC bb ratings involving Duke, UNC, Louisville, and SU with support from Pitt, ND, and NC State to exceed BiG bb ratings.

Cheers,
Neil

The BiG will be fine in terms of TV $$$.

Being top heavy actually helps them in that regard since 'the not top heavy' parts is for the BTN anyway. And the top heavy stuff is what garners TV ratings for ESPN.

Hopefully the ACC will get there in football where FSU, Miami, Clemson, and VT consistently get the ratings that the top heavy BiG gets to increase the conference's TV $$$ at one of these 5 year "look-in" windows.

I have no worries about that when it comes to ACC basketball, where in a few years I expect ACC bb ratings involving Duke, UNC, Louisville, and SU with support from Pitt, ND, and NC State to exceed BiG bb ratings.

Cheers,
Neil
It takes publicity and marketing to assist that goal. I'm not seeing that yet.

I wish the ACC network would be created in the vein of the recently announced WWE Network instead of the usual cable model.

The WWE Network is accessed just like netflix. Available on phones, tablets, smart tvs, computers, apple tv, roku, etc.

It contains live programming.
A library of every major pay-per-view in the history of the company
Original shows

All for $9 a month.
That WWE Network format is the future of TV viewing in this country. Streaming through a Smart TV or the gaming systems and such.

The move to MD and Rutty is all about invading the ACC footprint (and getting all those Mid-Atlantic eyeballs).

If they play a 12 game regular season, there isn't one. I look our schedule for next season and see where are buy weeks are, and just imagine that with a 13th game it could be worse.
bye, by, buy

That WWE Network format is the future of TV viewing in this country. Streaming through a Smart TV or the gaming systems and such.

A conference channel is different than the WWE channel. I would subscribe from September to November for sure. Then, depending on how many SU games were on the streaming channel would subscribe until March. This leaves four to five months where I would not subscribe because the live content I cared about would not be there. The WWE, on the other hand, has live content year round to keep the subscribers.

The other model is to get the ACC on the cable networks. I have DirecTV, which means I pay for the BTN all year whether I watch it or not. I would expect the carriage fees for 12 months on all televisions would be higher than a seven month subscription base of only ACC school fans.

The other issue is recruiting. Having all of the games on a traditional outlet like cable or satellite will be bigger draw than explaining to a recruit's parents that they will need to have an internet television or other equipment to watch little Johnny play football/basketball. God forbid Johnny grew up in a rural area or a poor urban area that location or cost makes it difficult to get a high speed internet connection.

A conference channel is different than the WWE channel. I would subscribe from September to November for sure. Then, depending on how many SU games were on the streaming channel would subscribe until March. This leaves four to five months where I would not subscribe because the live content I cared about would not be there. The WWE, on the other hand, has live content year round to keep the subscribers.

The other model is to get the ACC on the cable networks. I have DirecTV, which means I pay for the BTN all year whether I watch it or not. I would expect the carriage fees for 12 months on all televisions would be higher than a seven month subscription base of only ACC school fans.

The other issue is recruiting. Having all of the games on a traditional outlet like cable or satellite will be bigger draw than explaining to a recruited parents that they will need to have an internet television or other equipment to watch little Johnny play football/basketball. God forbid Johnny grew up in a rural area or a poor urban area that location or cost makes it difficult to get a high speed internet connection.
Lacrosse will take you through May.

Do a yearly subscription plan. Problem solved. $99 for a whole year of programming of the channel. Force people to have it even in the months they might not watch it or want it. WWE is forcing people to do 6 months at a time, tweak it and do a year subscription plan only.

I was thinking this while reading the beginning OP (then I saw it in the last point). I wonder how much the ACC will look into the WWE model. I have to believe that will be the wave of the future and the death of cable.

ESPN gets 600 million per month in Cable subscriber fees. They will NOT be on the leading edge of the death of cable.