ACCT Tidbit | Syracusefan.com

ACCT Tidbit

BlackKnight76

All American
I wasn't able to go, but Dr. Gross gave a seminar thing at the Lubin House last night which was apparently great. He said that 14 of the 15 schools support hosting the ACC tournament at MSG (including UNC and Duke). The issue is that the Garden wants a 10 year commitment while the ACC only wants to commit to 5, not sure if that's total or 5 in a row. If they can't work it out with MSG they'll do it at Barclays.

Let the speculation begin. I'll go ahead and guess that NC State doesn't want the tournament in NY.

Great news, I doubt the ACC will require all 15 if they have 14 and Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, and Florida State all on board. 5 years seems like the perfect commitment. If the old guard demands Greensboro, and the new guard all want MSG. Just rotate Greensboro/MSG. Honestly, since 1990 only 4 non-Duke/North Carolina teams have the ACC Tournament Georgia Tech 1990, 1993 Wake Forest 1995, 1996, Maryland 2004, Florida State 2012.
The Catholic 7 and the ACC could rotate at MSG and both conferences would end up with the World's Most Famous Arena.

In my ideal world, if we can't do MSG every year, have a rotation of NYC, Boston, DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Florida and alternate between North and South every year. Gives every fanbase ample opportunities to see it, and it could really become an east coast spectacle.

Greensboro? In the words of Jay Cutler, dooooooooont caaaaaaaaare.

Great news, I doubt the ACC will require all 15 if they have 14 and Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, and Florida State all on board. 5 years seems like the perfect commitment. If the old guard demands Greensboro, and the new guard all want MSG. Just rotate Greensboro/MSG. Honestly, since 1990 only 4 non-Duke/North Carolina teams have the ACC Tournament Georgia Tech 1990, 1993 Wake Forest 1995, 1996, Maryland 2004, Florida State 2012.
The Catholic 7 and the ACC could rotate at MSG and both conferences would end up with the World's Most Famous Arena.

Big East - MSG and United Center (Chicago Bulls Arena)
ACC - Greensboro Coliseum and MSG

In my ideal world, if we can't do MSG every year, have a rotation of NYC, Boston, DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Florida and alternate between North and South every year. Gives every fanbase ample opportunities to see it, and it could really become an east coast spectacle.

Greensboro? In the words of Jay Cutler, dooooooooont caaaaaaaaare.
Considering I am in Charlotte which is the captial of the ACC IMO, Time Warner Arena, MSG, Philips Arena, Verizon Center would be the 4 year rotation if I was Commissioner, but the ACC fans here for some reason love Greensboro because the UNC fans can give UNC a homecourt advantage and its close to Clemson. Greensboro Coliseum holds over 20k, but the problem is nobody cares about the tournament anymore and the best restaurants around the arena are Wendy's, and if your lucky a Chili's.
MSG would raise the league's profile and penerate the NYC market and get the tournament mentioned on WFAN and stuff.
D.C. would be the perfect middle ground and would tweak Maryland fans which is great.
Atlanta is the capital of the South, but always seems like SEC country even though Ga. Tech is there.
Charlotte- is the transplant capital of North Carolina and would be great if Time Warner held a little more than 16k.
I hate Greensboro and even though I am an hour and a half away in Charlotte I have been 2 times. It would be like the Big East having its tournament in Dunkin Donuts Center or Hartford Civic Center over MSG.

Considering I am in Charlotte which is the captial of the ACC IMO, Time Warner Arena, MSG, Philips Arena, Verizon Center would be the 4 year rotation if I was Commissioner, but the ACC fans here for some reason love Greensboro because the UNC fans can give UNC a homecourt advantage and its close to Clemson. Greensboro Coliseum holds over 20k, but the problem is nobody cares about the tournament anymore and the best restaurants around the arena are Wendy's, and if your lucky a Chili's.
MSG would raise the league's profile and penerate the NYC market and get the tournament mentioned on WFAN and stuff.
D.C. would be the perfect middle ground and would tweak Maryland fans which is great.
Atlanta is the capital of the South, but always seems like SEC country even though Ga. Tech is there.
Charlotte- is the transplant capital of North Carolina and would be great if Time Warner held a little more than 16k.
I hate Greensboro and even though I am an hour and a half away in Charlotte I have been 2 times. It would be like the Big East having its tournament in Dunkin Donuts Center or Hartford Civic Center over MSG.
Ideally I would rotate between MSG and TWC Arena, Charlotte is a growing city, and is an ACC town through and through. But Greensboro will please traditional ACC fans, and it has a lot of history.

Funny how JB got blasted for saying NY was way better than Greensboro but everyone apparently agrees with him. Imagine that?
I don't recall anybody of note from ACC schools saying anything, other than NC State's coach. Most of the outcry was from traditionalist ACC fans, and the residents of Greensboro.

If we want a seat at the big boy table, we need to have this at MSG, bottom line.

It should be choices #1-5 on every team's list.

No rotating it. No Atlanta, no Greensboro, no DC.

If you need evidence, read the great ESPN piece on the Big East Tournament and the change once it hit MSG. There is the best and then there is everything else.

We aren't going to be the premier football league, but we need to have the #1 basketball league on the biggest stage.

I doubt the new Big East is going to back down easily in trying to keep the Garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt the new Big East is going to back down easily in trying to keep the Garden.

They might not have a choice after a few years of a 1/3 full "Big East Tournament"

This is true.
Yep, it's about which league they think will be able to sell the most tickets. And I have a feeling the UNC fans, for example, will turn out in far better numbers than the Butler fans will. ;)

By my estimations the best represented fanbases at the BET in the last four years have been 1.) Syracuse, 2.) UConn, and then Pitt/ND/LVille/WVU...since none of those schools will be moving on with the C7 I don't see a ton of pull for them.

St. John's and Seton Hall may draw better if they perform better, which they might since the tourney will be less competitive.

Funny how JB got blasted for saying NY was way better than Greensboro but everyone apparently agrees with him. Imagine that?
Just let them believe it was their idea and it's cool.

why would MSG agree to a rotation when they have an annual commitment in the bag? They have the leverage and would demand a bigger piece of the pie to make it worth their while.

the odds are against a rotation that includes MSG

I'd rather have it in Greensboro every year than do a rotation. Rotating sites = small-time.

Either go with the Garden for a long-term deal or stick with the old tradition at the Coliseum.

They can fight but they won't win. The ACC will be the best conference in basketball. The "Big East" will be a step above the A10.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I thought A-10 was locked into Barclays

I'd rather have it in Greensboro every year than do a rotation. Rotating sites = small-time.

Either go with the Garden for a long-term deal or stick with the old tradition at the Coliseum.
Not Greensboro. My brother's wedding was in Greensboro. The place at which the wedding was held no longer does weddings after his. (wimps) They also ran out of imported beer. How do you do that at a wedding?
A few selected guests from up north is nothing compared to the Orange horde that would descend upon Greensboro. The city could not handle it.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2