ACCT Tidbit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACCT Tidbit

Rotation is pie-in-the-sky thinking, and it's not because of logistics or Presidents not wanting to do it, but because these major arenas want long term contracts.

My guess would be that FSU voted against it. I surmise they'll pretty vote against everything to cover themselves when it's time to bolt the conference and sue over the 50 mil exit fee

Great news, I doubt the ACC will require all 15 if they have 14 and Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, and Florida State all on board. 5 years seems like the perfect commitment. If the old guard demands Greensboro, and the new guard all want MSG. Just rotate Greensboro/MSG. Honestly, since 1990 only 4 non-Duke/North Carolina teams have the ACC Tournament Georgia Tech 1990, 1993 Wake Forest 1995, 1996, Maryland 2004, Florida State 2012.
The Catholic 7 and the ACC could rotate at MSG and both conferences would end up with the World's Most Famous Arena.

Let the Catholic 7 go play in Providence. It would be fitting.

The ACC needs to out compete the B1G, the NNNNNNBE and the C7 for the NYC metro TV market. Only makes sense to "box out" the B1G and play the tournament there. Should crush them, numbers wise, even if every Rutgers fans leaves their TV sets on.

A long term alternating-year deal with the C-7 & MSG could work.

The ACC old guard will insist on some Greensboro appearances, hence I don't see a permanent move to MSG in the near term, if ever. They may agree on a 3-5 year MSG trial followed by a planned 2-3 year Greensboro stint. By then they'll know if NYC is a viable location. NYC is a long way from home for much of the ACC.

The ACC needs to out compete the B1G, the NNNNNNBE and the C7 for the NYC metro TV market. Only makes sense to "box out" the B1G and play the tournament there. Should crush them, numbers wise, even if every Rutgers fans leaves their TV sets on.

There weren't many 'gizz fans there to have TVs left on. Saw one total today, same amount as BC and Stanford fans I saw.

They might not have a choice after a few years of a 1/3 full "Big East Tournament"

Unless St. John's returns to prominence, there is no way the C7BE Tournament draws the same attendance. People keep forgetting that UConn is not in this group. Say what you want about who owned the Garden, but it was pretty clear that SU and UConn were the two largest fan bases to show at MSG since 1996. And it's not even close. Losing both SU and UConn will hurt the C7 in MSG. Adding teams like Butler and Creighton won't put a dent in the attendance no matter how good they are on the court.

I think people will be surprised what a big hit it is with some of the fan bases. Not only will the UNC and Duke fans travel well, their alums already have pretty good numbers here. Syracuse and Pitt at MSG will draw more than almost any ACC school other than UNC and Duke in Greensboro.

I've been to a couple games in Greensboro, and it's just got no atmosphere. Granted, I'm biased, but still. The building has no feel.

If MSG is faced with the choice of rotating C7 and ACC and taking just C7, they rotate. But let's say they do a 5 year trial period planning to go back to Greensboro for the next 5. By the time that 5 year period is up, even more votes could be from the north depending on how realignment shakes out. I think a lot of people expect UConn in at some point.

why would MSG agree to a rotation when they have an annual commitment in the bag? They have the leverage and would demand a bigger piece of the pie to make it worth their while.

the odds are against a rotation that includes MSG
They may have the leverage, but their playing two pair (Big East)against a full house(ACC). (pun intended)

They may have the leverage, but their playing two pair (Big East)against a full house(ACC). (pun intended)

I think people underestimate how much leverage MSG has - every conference wants to penetrate the NYC market, wouldn't shock me if the Big 10 made a play to hold their tourney at the Garden. At that point does the ACC hold the line on wanting a rotation, or do they try to lock up MSG?

It doesn't surprise me that Duke and UNC want NYC in the rotation. Both programs are popular there, particularly Duke.

There is no way that I see MSG getting the ACCT every year though. Best they could hope for is 4 or 5 out of every 10 years.

Cheers,
Neil

Big East - MSG and United Center (Chicago Bulls Arena)
ACC - Greensboro Coliseum and MSG

United Center in Chicago...lol - the west side of Chicago is the second worst neighborhood in the country behind the South Side of Chicago. I can't picture Mr. & Mrs. Villanova riding the el train out to the west side for that 9pm tip off. This is not a slam on Chicago as I went to school there - just pointing out that location of the arena does not lend itself to a fun fan atmosphere unless you just got back from Kabul.

I think people underestimate how much leverage MSG has - every conference wants to penetrate the NYC market, wouldn't shock me if the Big 10 made a play to hold their tourney at the Garden. At that point does the ACC hold the line on wanting a rotation, or do they try to lock up MSG?

I think MSG has leverage to some extent but they're not going to a big fan of rotation as they will want a firm commitment of at least 5 years as they now have to compete with Barclays. Size matters and we have leverage over the new BE as the best they can do now is Friday (Qters.), Sat. (Semi) and Sunday (Champ). The ACC will be able to keep the current 5 day format which means more sessions and more fans sucking down $12.00 beers.

I feel like the dissenter has to be Wake Forest. Smaller, localized NC fanbase. The NC St, Florida St, UNC, Duke, etc fanbases/alumni groups are all pretty big.