Adam Silver 'rethinking' position on one-and-done rule | Syracusefan.com

Adam Silver 'rethinking' position on one-and-done rule

They should either allow them to come out of high school or if they do go to college make them stay either 2 or 3 years. This improves the college and NBA. I seriously HATE the 1 and done. It's so hard on coach's, unless you are PayPalCal or Dook (money schools), to figure who is coming and going. If they change the rule at least the coach's will know they will have the kid 2 or 3 years. The college game was so much better when players like Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, DC, etc. stayed at least 3 years.

And with that the dynamic will change and College hoops will become very even and dominated by upperclasman. Gone are the days of college super teams, but what will return is an experienced team full of good to great college players... think the Gmacs of the world. Things could be worse

They should either allow them to come out of high school or if they do go to college make them stay either 2 or 3 years. This improves the college and NBA. I seriously HATE the 1 and done. It's so hard on coach's, unless you are PayPalCal or Dook (money schools), to figure who is coming and going. If they change the rule at least the coach's will know they will have the kid 2 or 3 years. The college game was so much better when players like Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, DC, etc. stayed at least 3 years.

I'm all for making it the same as baseball but the downside being that our only Nat'l Championship more than likely never occurs if the rule was in effect. But whatever, celebrated my ass off on that night!

Silver's smart. If you read between the lines, and notice how he talks about player development, what he's really saying is that the NBA reconsiders the draft age because the ultimate impact would be to develop more players through the G-League.

All I get from that article is that they are going to go back to 18 years old lol. The NBA is star driven. They would not benefit from potential future stars staying in college for 3 years. They would benefit from role players doing that - which some stay for 2-4 years in college anyway.

One concern I have is that it won't only be the kids that are ready who make the jump. Even ones who would benefit from a few years at the college level may decide it's just not worth it and jump. Not that this would destroy the NBA, but it would affect the talent level of the players coming in.

Let players jump from high school. That's what GMs get paid to do: scout talent and make difficult decisions. Want to draft Kwame Brown #1 because he's 7'0 in HS? Go ahead. he might be Kevin Garnett, he might be Kwame Brown. It's your job to figure it out.

One concern I have is that it won't only be the kids that are ready who make the jump. Even ones who would benefit from a few years at the college level may decide it's just not worth it and jump. Not that this would destroy the NBA, but it would affect the talent level of the players coming in.

Players could have left for the NBA right from high school in '74 and only a handful did from '74 to '95. Then an influx came from '95 to 2005 when the rules changed.

The talent wasn't the issue. It was NBA scouts/NBA GMs/Agents in high school gyms. If you drafted an 18 year old it's your job to get them acclimated.

I don't know Duke was considered a money school now

I think the most realistic outcome here (besides the one-and-done rule remaining in place) is that they simply get rid of it; no mandatory two-year sentence if you go to college. Simply high schoolers can make the jump, or they can decide to go to college and see what happens.

His comments regarding the shortening the season and super-teams were interesting too.

It's too bad but there will be kids who have no business thinking they are ready to play in the NBA skipping college and declaring. A few years of kids being rejected by the NBA though should help make kids and their 'handlers' be more realistic about their need for development. It would then be up to the NCAA to put in a 2 or 3 year rule. Those other kids not drafted would still have the D League option. They may realize though that the option of playing overseas will be more difficult without a college coach's connections and referrals.

"I'm rethinking our position," Silver said. "So our historical position since we raised the age from 18 to 19 was that we want to go from 19 to 20. And the Union's position is that they want to go from 19 to 18."

This has always baffled me. Someone explain how the players association does not see a 19 year old kid coming into the league before he is ready to contribute, but has been drafted on "potential," isn't taking a cheap roster spot from a veteran player who would be paid more based on experience. Seems so counter intuitive that I MUST be missing something.

I'll rephrase that, they are shady like UK but not as bad.

IMO there was a time that Duke bent and broke the rules to the extreme earlier in Coach K's career. I think after they reached a certain level of success that was cut back dramatically. Since Cal has taken his song and dance to UK it seems that K has once again released his boosters.

It's too bad but there will be kids who have no business thinking they are ready to play in the NBA skipping college and declaring. A few years of kids being rejected by the NBA though should help make kids and their 'handlers' be more realistic about their need for development. It would then be up to the NCAA to put in a 2 or 3 year rule. Those other kids not drafted would still have the D League option. They may realize though that the option of playing overseas will be more difficult without a college coach's connections and referrals.

What about right now? A kid goes to college for 2 semesters - doesn't go to class in semester 2 because it doesn't matter, and then goes to the NBA? It is up to the teams to decide who is ready to be drafted. There is no sure fire evidence that going to college for 2-3 years means you are going to be better in the NBA than if you left straight from high school. It is impossible to determine.

"I'm rethinking our position," Silver said. "So our historical position since we raised the age from 18 to 19 was that we want to go from 19 to 20. And the Union's position is that they want to go from 19 to 18."

This has always baffled me. Someone explain how the players association does not see a 19 year old kid coming into the league before he is ready to contribute, but has been drafted on "potential," isn't taking a cheap roster spot from a veteran player who would be paid more based on experience. Seems so counter intuitive that I MUST be missing something.

I think it's mainly a bargaining tactic. If they concede the point right off the bat, then the other side doesn't need to make any concession to them. This way, they can probably keep the rule as it is, or even add another year to it ( I think this is where it ends up) and get something from the owners they really care about.

That's how I see it, I could be wrong.

Lets get rid of the one and done, if a kid has the talent or potential to go to the NBA let them, they have the right to use their abilities to earn a paycheck.

Secondly, find a way to strengthen the D-League, get some energy like they have managed to get for TBT, hype up the colleges these guy attended. College isn't for everyone, if there was an exciting D-League than many athletes would opt for that and not muddy the waters of college basketball.

There need to be clear pathways for professionals and students.

What about right now? A kid goes to college for 2 semesters - doesn't go to class in semester 2 because it doesn't matter, and then goes to the NBA? It is up to the teams to decide who is ready to be drafted. There is no sure fire evidence that going to college for 2-3 years means you are going to be better in the NBA than if you left straight from high school. It is impossible to determine.

I don't know I mustn't have communicated what I meant well enough. As for saying whether players improve after attending college for 2-3 years, how many kids not drafted after 2-3 years in college would have been draft picks out of high school? Conversely, do you really think that a Wes Johnson, Mike Gbinije, MCW, Ennis, Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon etc would have been drafted after high school? Players improve and use college basketball as a showcase, it's a symbiotic relationship.

Let the kids who believe like you said, that 2-3 years of college doesn't mean you are going to be better in the NBA than if they left directly from high school, actually leave for the NBA. Since the NBA is a business, let's find out if they will subsidize developing all the early entrees out of high school. My guess is that like always the NBA will only subsidize a very select few for development. It's the NBA's problem then whether to put their money into developing these kids and leave colleges out of it including the players who have no desire to be student athletes. If there's no market for the majority of players talent out of high school why not find out and put the issue to rest. Then let there be like baseball, football a 3 year rule.

. If you drafted an 18 year old it's your job to get them acclimated.
Your absolutely correct. I think the league's position is that teams wouldn't do a good job doing this. And I fully understand this comes down to creating a rule to protect people from themselves - which is usually something I hate. But the league would argue that having this rule in place makes the NBA stronger.

I don't know I mustn't have communicated what I meant well enough. As for saying whether players improve after attending college for 2-3 years, how many kids not drafted after 2-3 years in college would have been draft picks out of high school? Conversely, do you really think that a Wes Johnson, Mike Gbinije, MCW, Ennis, Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon etc would have been drafted after high school? Players improve and use college basketball as a showcase, it's a symbiotic relationship.

Let the kids who believe like you said, that 2-3 years of college doesn't mean you are going to be better in the NBA than if they left directly from high school, actually leave for the NBA. Since the NBA is a business, let's find out if they will subsidize developing all the early entrees out of high school. My guess is that like always the NBA will only subsidize a very select few for development. It's the NBA's problem then whether to put their money into developing these kids and leave colleges out of it and the players who have no desire to be student athletes. If there's no market for the majority of players talent out of high school why not find out and put the issue to rest. Then let there be like baseball, football a 3 year rule.

I'm not saying that all kids would opt to go to the draft out of highschool. The Cuse guys you named all benefited by going to college, I just don't think it should be mandatory. You and I are fully in agreement here, just took us one more comment to get there haha.

Your absolutely correct. I think the league's position is that teams wouldn't do a good job doing this. And I fully understand this comes down to creating a rule to protect people from themselves - which is usually something I hate. But the league would argue that having this rule in place makes the NBA stronger.

I just don't see why one year is such a difference. 18 isn't mature enough for the NBA but is for almost everything else in life? Okay

I just don't see why one year is such a difference. 18 isn't mature enough for the NBA but is for almost everything else in life? Okay

It gives them a year of being able to scout them playing 30-35 games against at least roughly similar level competition.

It gives them a year of being able to scout them playing 30-35 games against at least roughly similar level competition.

Yeah but that wasn't why the rule was put into place so that point is moot. Even if you scout them for 30 games in the NCAA it's not a be all, end all for the argument. The NBA was fine taking kids out of high school because those kids played at high level schools. Talent was not the issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom