Adam Silver 'rethinking' position on one-and-done rule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Silver 'rethinking' position on one-and-done rule

It gives them a year of being able to scout them playing 30-35 games against at least roughly similar level competition.
Exactly. Gives them a bit more security in their picks. With that said, never understood why the players union wouldn't push for even more years, thus adding to the years guys in the league already have. Make it harder to get into, but longer and more lucrative for the guys who make it. Up the fees.

Yeah but that wasn't why the rule was put into place so that point is moot. Even if you scout them for 30 games in the NCAA it's not a be all, end all for the argument. The NBA was fine taking kids out of high school because those kids played at high level schools. Talent was not the issue

That was definitely part of the reason.

Commissioner David Stern Wants to Preserve Age Limit for Players

"“This is not about the N.C.A.A., this is not an enforcement of some social program,” Stern said. “This is a business decision by the N.B.A., which is: We like to see our players in competition after high school.”"

That was definitely part of the reason.

Commissioner David Stern Wants to Preserve Age Limit for Players

"“This is not about the N.C.A.A., this is not an enforcement of some social program,” Stern said. “This is a business decision by the N.B.A., which is: We like to see our players in competition after high school.”"

Fair enough. Good to see Silver is rethinking it because the players do not like the rule

All I get from that article is that they are going to go back to 18 years old lol. The NBA is star driven. They would not benefit from potential future stars staying in college for 3 years. They would benefit from role players doing that - which some stay for 2-4 years in college anyway.
I disagree. Back when the top players had full college careers they built name recognition while in college (e.g. Alcindor vs. Hayes at the Astrodome). Fans were eager to see them make an impact at the NBA level.
Now, I don't get excited about the NBA draft. It's mostly phenoms with short resumes (e.g. our beloved Chris McCullough) and unknown international guys.

I disagree. Back when the top players had full college careers they built name recognition while in college (e.g. Alcindor vs. Hayes at the Astrodome). Fans were eager to see them make an impact at the NBA level.
Now, I don't get excited about the NBA draft. It's mostly phenoms with short resumes (e.g. our beloved Chris McCullough) and unknown international guys.

It's 2017. Name recognition is quick and immediate now thanks to social media. So 1984 NBA isn't 2017's NBA but 1995-2005 NBA was still very fun to watch

It's 2017. Name recognition is quick and immediate now thanks to social media. So 1984 NBA isn't 2017's NBA but 1995-2005 NBA was still very fun to watch

Worst era for scoring ever. The total average score for the eventual champion Pistons against the pacers in the 2004 ECF was 147. Cleveland and Golden State might get that in a half.

Setting the rules like the MLB draft makes a lot more sense than what the NBA/NCAA currently has in place. You give the elite prospects the right to profit off their name immediately, and you protect NCAA rosters from decimation once a prospect decides to attend college instead of making themselves available to the draft. You also afford a third route to those that don't want to commit to having to wait to 21 to enter the draft but maybe aren't ready to enter the draft - JUCO.

The NBA has a minor league now as well which further supports this model.

MLB Draft Eligibility
To be drafted, a player must fit the following criteria:

• Be a resident of, or have attended an educational institution in, the United States, Canada, or a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico. Players from other countries are not subject to the draft, and can be signed by any team unless they have attended an educational institution in the aforementioned areas.
  • Have never signed a major or minor league contract.
  • High school players are eligible only after graduation, and if they have not attended college.
  • Players at four-year colleges and universities are eligible three years after first enrolling in such an institution, or after their 21st birthdays (whichever occurs first).
  • Junior and community college players are eligible to be drafted at any time.
The current model is a mess compared to the MLB model.

Worst era for scoring ever. The total average score for the eventual champion Pistons against the pacers in the 2004 ECF was 147. Cleveland and Golden State might get that in a half.

Hey, be fair, there were some lower scores before the shot clock. Probably.

That stat I bolded is insane. I just looked that series up; Pistons closed it out with a 69-65 win. Seriously. There were 26 points scored in the second quarter of game 6. COMBINED

It's too bad but there will be kids who have no business thinking they are ready to play in the NBA skipping college and declaring. A few years of kids being rejected by the NBA though should help make kids and their 'handlers' be more realistic about their need for development. It would then be up to the NCAA to put in a 2 or 3 year rule. Those other kids not drafted would still have the D League option. They may realize though that the option of playing overseas will be more difficult without a college coach's connections and referrals.

We don't need to protect kids from themselves and their handlers. To Silver's point most of those kids aren't really attending college anyway, they are out as soon as their freshman season ends...makes me wonder how the Dukes and UKs of the world are managing the APR.

Anyway, I think I would be very happy with opening the draft back up to High School seniors. The kids that don't want to attend college shouldn't be doing so just because that is the only route to professional basketball.

We don't need to protect kids from themselves and their handlers. To Silver's point most of those kids aren't really attending college anyway, they are out as soon as their freshman season ends...makes me wonder how the Dukes and UKs of the world are managing the APR.

Anyway, I think I would be very happy with opening the draft back up to High School seniors. Sorry if it came out that way. The kids that don't want to attend college shouldn't be doing so just because that is the only route to professional basketball.

Never meant to imply that kids need protecting from themselves and handlers. I think they should be allowed to leave and enter the draft after high school and leave college for those who really want to commit to being a student athlete. Take colleges out of the role of solely being a vehicle for a short-term NBA tryout.

"I'm rethinking our position," Silver said. "So our historical position since we raised the age from 18 to 19 was that we want to go from 19 to 20. And the Union's position is that they want to go from 19 to 18."

This has always baffled me. Someone explain how the players association does not see a 19 year old kid coming into the league before he is ready to contribute, but has been drafted on "potential," isn't taking a cheap roster spot from a veteran player who would be paid more based on experience. Seems so counter intuitive that I MUST be missing something.

Unions just fight everything no matter what.

Anyway, I think I would be very happy with opening the draft back up to High School seniors. The kids that don't want to attend college shouldn't be doing so just because that is the only route to professional basketball.
I could easily be wrong, but ... I think their APR isn't as adversely affected if the OADs leave in good academic standing. And since the dook OADs maximize their use of NC Central across town ...

This has always baffled me. Someone explain how the players association does not see a 19 year old kid coming into the league before he is ready to contribute, but has been drafted on "potential," isn't taking a cheap roster spot from a veteran player who would be paid more based on experience. Seems so counter intuitive that I MUST be missing something.
It's a restriction on players. The union has not, to my knowledge, been happy with the age restriction.

Maybe the NBA should start taking kids out of middle school so they can "properly" develop them. Pay them a universal income until they make an NBA roster. It will be hilarious watching UK and Duke bid for guys who would have been walk-ons under the current system. Those kids will become the new stars of the NCAA. And since competition is all relative, fans will still pack college arenas.

Setting the rules like the MLB draft makes a lot more sense than what the NBA/NCAA currently has in place. You give the elite prospects the right to profit off their name immediately, and you protect NCAA rosters from decimation once a prospect decides to attend college instead of making themselves available to the draft. You also afford a third route to those that don't want to commit to having to wait to 21 to enter the draft but maybe aren't ready to enter the draft - JUCO.

The NBA has a minor league now as well which further supports this model.

MLB Draft Eligibility
To be drafted, a player must fit the following criteria:

• Be a resident of, or have attended an educational institution in, the United States, Canada, or a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico. Players from other countries are not subject to the draft, and can be signed by any team unless they have attended an educational institution in the aforementioned areas.
  • Have never signed a major or minor league contract.
  • High school players are eligible only after graduation, and if they have not attended college.
  • Players at four-year colleges and universities are eligible three years after first enrolling in such an institution, or after their 21st birthdays (whichever occurs first).
  • Junior and community college players are eligible to be drafted at any time.
The current model is a mess compared to the MLB model.

I would like to see the MLB model adopted for basketball as well, but it would create additional complexities for both the NBA and schools as it would create havoc and uncertainty in recruitment. The signing period in basketball was from April 12, 2017 through May 17, 2017. The NBA draft will be held on June 22, 2017. Schools would be at risk of wasting a scholarship and roster spot on a player drafted by the NBA (my guess this would be a bigger issue for non-lottery picks) and the NBA would be at risk for wasting a pick on a player who decides to go to school instead.

Under the MLB model, the drafting team also loses its rights to the player who goes to school. Alex Rodriguez used the threat of enrollment at the University of Miami to force Seattle to up its signing bonus in '93. I would be amused to see powerhouse community/junior college teams being formed by players who did not like their contract offers and/or the team that drafted them going to community/junior college to reset their draft eligibility after only one year instead of three.

"I'm rethinking our position," Silver said. "So our historical position since we raised the age from 18 to 19 was that we want to go from 19 to 20. And the Union's position is that they want to go from 19 to 18."

Isn't that all work, in general? Company A can pay me next to nothing at the start of my career because you are closing in on retirement or maybe my hiring pushing you out the door and that frees up a ton of money to spend on other areas (better free agents than myself as a rookie and you as a seasoned veteran)

I have issue with the foreign players the most because teams can draft them and stash them away overseas. Always seemed silly to me

Yeah but that wasn't why the rule was put into place so that point is moot. Even if you scout them for 30 games in the NCAA it's not a be all, end all for the argument. The NBA was fine taking kids out of high school because those kids played at high level schools. Talent was not the issue
When I watched Warriors/Cavaliers last night I saw strong big athletic men that make most recruits look like little boys that they would eat alive

When I watched Warriors/Cavaliers last night I saw strong big athletic men that make most recruits look like little boys that they would eat alive

I never said the kids that make the jump straight from high school would be in the NBA finals in their first year. Obviously there will always be guys who need to go to college to improve physically, mentally, get noticed, whatever the case. There are always going to be sure fire prospects just like there will always be busts. It's silly to have the 1 and done rule. Get rid of it or move to a baseball style model where kids can either go to the draft or stay in college for 2 years minimum.

I never said the kids that make the jump straight from high school would be in the NBA finals in their first year. Obviously there will always be guys who need to go to college to improve physically, mentally, get noticed, whatever the case. There are always going to be sure fire prospects just like there will always be busts. It's silly to have the 1 and done rule. Get rid of it or move to a baseball style model where kids can either go to the draft or stay in college for 2 years minimum.
Never said you did. I agree and was inferring that they seem so young and I'll equipped for NBA at such a young age and would prefer a structure that made them wait without college being only alternative cause it's becoming a joke

I would like to see the MLB model adopted for basketball as well, but it would create additional complexities for both the NBA and schools as it would create havoc and uncertainty in recruitment. The signing period in basketball was from April 12, 2017 through May 17, 2017. The NBA draft will be held on June 22, 2017. Schools would be at risk of wasting a scholarship and roster spot on a player drafted by the NBA (my guess this would be a bigger issue for non-lottery picks) and the NBA would be at risk for wasting a pick on a player who decides to go to school instead.

Under the MLB model, the drafting team also loses its rights to the player who goes to school. Alex Rodriguez used the threat of enrollment at the University of Miami to force Seattle to up its signing bonus in '93. I would be amused to see powerhouse community/junior college teams being formed by players who did not like their contract offers and/or the team that drafted them going to community/junior college to reset their draft eligibility after only one year instead of three.

NCAA division 2 basketball already has the signing period set from April 12 - August 1st just like college baseball does, so it would just be a case of extending the signing day which would align NCAA division 1 basketball with the same closing signing day as most other NCAA sports (Football being the one exclusion).

MLB teams have the same risk with the draft. They get verbals from kids and then have to wait and see whether they are drafted or not. USC was hit by that one year so bad that it set their program back 4 or 5 years because they targeted too many blue chip prospects that ultimately decided to enter the draft. It effectively would alter the way that NCAA Basketball programs recruit, but I don't think that's a bad thing compared to recruiting right now. It's a risk/reward model, with the reward being that once you get a kid signed, you actually have him in your program for basically a minimum of 3 seasons. I think the MLB model would actually benefit Syracuse a lot as we tend to do well with landing the top 25-50 kids that are a threat to bolt after a solid year or two in the program.

But you're right, I'm sure there would be JC teams that effectively adopt the Calipari model and become powerhouse programs. I don't follow college baseball much but I'm sure there are JC programs like that on the baseball side.

I could easily be wrong, but ... I think their APR isn't as adversely affected if the OADs leave in good academic standing. And since the dook OADs maximize their use of NC Central across town ...

I don't understand, even in concept, how you can be enrolled in enough academic credits in the spring semester to maintain eligibility and status as a student and then essentially drop out of school in late March and still end up in good standing? When I went to school you had to take a reasonable number of credits to be an active student; you had an add/drop deadline and if you were still in enrolled in the course after the add/drop deadline you either had to complete the coursework, take an incomplete or take the the grade you "earned" not showing up. The later two options would not leave you in good academic standing. How do they end up in good academic standing if they leave campus?

Isn't that all work, in general? Company A can pay me next to nothing at the start of my career because you are closing in on retirement or maybe my hiring pushing you out the door and that frees up a ton of money to spend on other areas (better free agents than myself as a rookie and you as a seasoned veteran)

I have issue with the foreign players the most because teams can draft them and stash them away overseas. Always seemed silly to me

That is how it works, DB. What confuses me is that the owners are apparently open to raise the age and limit the young, low cost players coming to the league before they are ready and the players union is AGAINST raising the limit which seems to mean that they want 18 year old kids to come in and take roster spots that would otherwise likely go to veteran players. Seems like it should be exactly the opposite, doesn't it?

That is how it works, DB. What confuses me is that the owners are apparently open to raise the age and limit the young, low cost players coming to the league before they are ready and the players union is AGAINST raising the limit which seems to mean that they want 18 year old kids to come in and take roster spots that would otherwise likely go to veteran players. Seems like it should be exactly the opposite, doesn't it?

I'm not sure it really matters. There is going to be a draft every year. 60 guys or whatever are going to get drafted no matter what, and they're going to cost the same no matter what.

The college game was so much better when players like Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, DC, etc. stayed at least 3 years.
Of course it was. Those were all future NBA alltime greats. That era is over. The college game will never be what it was because players that have both elite athleticism and skill, like the guys you mentioned, will never spend any real time in college again.

Gone are the days when you could see an elite level player play for your school for a few years and then carry that on to an elite NBA career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom