Add another to the Ahole list | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Add another to the Ahole list

This reveals the rotten core of PSU's values because it went on for so long and involved virtually the entire leadership at the University: the President, the AD, chief counsel, the football coach...

It's truly disturbing that all these well-educated administrators could let a child predator continue to operate -- with their knowledge and (often) using university facilities -- for more than a decade. Imagine all those victims and their families out there wondering how this could have been allowed to happen.

And for that matter, how can JoPa look his players in the face and talk about character from this point on?

That's what seems insane about this. Why force the guy out and not completely sever ties with him? Did Sandusky have information that could kill the program and tar Paterno as leverage?

That's what seems insane about this. Why force the guy out and not completely sever ties with him? Did Sandusky have information that could kill the program and tar Paterno as leverage?

That's the $64,000 question. Why did so many at the university turn a blind eye to what was going on for almost 2 decades? What did he have on others or the school? There just has to be another side to this. They could have dumped the guy back in the 90's, how would that have tarnished Paterno's legacy at the time (since he didn't have one yet)? Something just doesn't add up. 2007? You let the guy bring a 10 year old to a closed practice? I'm beginning to think that either he had something very very bad on some important people at PSU or else the whole damn school is nothing but a bunch of pedophiles or incestuous people.

It's not so much that we're sad for PATERNO, as much as it's sad what it means for the University, and what it means for college football.

Whether you like him or not, Paterno seemed to be a guy that you could look to as a shining example of how to do things right, both in terms of the way he ran his football program and the way he conducted himself personally and professionally. Sadly this episode has shown that not to be the reality.

I think it is always sad when someone who is a "leader", "hero" or "example for others" shows him or herself to fallible. Society needs more examples of people that always conduct themselves the right way and make the right decisions....not more examples of people who fail to do so. In that regard it is sad.

Whether you like him or not, Paterno seemed to be a guy that you could look to as a shining example of how to do things right, both in terms of the way he ran his football program and the way he conducted himself personally and professionally. Sadly this episode has shown that not to be the reality.

I think it is always sad when someone who is a "leader", "hero" or "example for others" shows him or herself to fallible. Society needs more examples of people that always conduct themselves the right way and make the right decisions....not more examples of people who fail to do so. In that regard it is sad.

Exactly.

Listen, I don't have any sympathy for the people involved in this, including Paterno.

But it doesn't mean I'm not a little sad to see it happen this way. Sports are supposed to bring joy to our lives, not misery. The Paterno legacy was something to behold, particulary if you're a Penn State fan.

The whole thing is just sad.

I know what you're trying to say. But the problem is, this just didn't happen now, at the end of his long run. Even then it would be hard to stomach. But the fact that it has been going on since the mid 90s? Sorry, the only sad thing to me now is that his career didn't end 16 years ago in shame, no longer than a week after he sat on it the first time he heard. There'd be at least 7 less screwed up kids in this world, probably more.

I know what you're trying to say. But the problem is, this just didn't happen now, at the end of his long run. Even then it would be hard to stomach. But the fact that it has been going on since the mid 90s? Sorry, the only sad thing to me now is that his career didn't end 16 years ago in shame, no longer than a week after he sat on it the first time he heard. There'd be at least 7 less screwed up kids in this world, probably more.

You're right. I'm thinking bigger than Paterno. He built an empire...and then he pretty much destroyed it.

Al Golden commenting on Paterno; "It would be heartbreaking if it ended like this"

Al, I think some kids and their parents are a bit heart broken too.

Advice to anyone associated with PSU at all. Shut your pie holes about Paterno and his imminent firing. Nothing is going to sound right. If you have anything to say, say that you are glad he got what he deserved.

It may be semantics, but I would agree with Golden if he said, "It is heartbreaking that it ended like this."

As pfister pointed out, we need more people who are successful doing things the right way, as opposed to bending or breaking the rules. I do not know enough about the situation to crucify (as oppose to simply condemn) Paterno, but to see him end his career due to a scandal is disappointing. This is not to say it is not warranted, but it is disappointing.

That's the $64,000 question. Why did so many at the university turn a blind eye to what was going on for almost 2 decades? What did he have on others or the school? There just has to be another side to this. They could have dumped the guy back in the 90's, how would that have tarnished Paterno's legacy at the time (since he didn't have one yet)? Something just doesn't add up. 2007? You let the guy bring a 10 year old to a closed practice? I'm beginning to think that either he had something very very bad on some important people at PSU or else the whole damn school is nothing but a bunch of pedophiles or incestuous people.

Oh, you know the multiplier on this scandal is huge. If a PSU was willing to cover up multiple instances of child rape, then what else were they willing to do to protect the football program? I mean, where does it end. This could go on and on. Maybe Sandusky knew something.

It's not so much that we're sad for PATERNO, as much as it's sad what it means for the University, and what it means for college football.

Think about this.

We've seen an unbelievable athlete in Tiger Woods taken down by behind-the-scenes issues that are...ick.

Mark McGwire going from real-life hero and Super Dad in breaking home run record to a 'roid user unelectable to the Hall.'

Now - and this is by far the WORST thing of these examples - the all-time winningest football coach at a school with a rich football history knew of unspeakable, illegal and dehumanizing things...and made them worse by covering them up.

So when Al Golden says it iis heartbreaking, it is. Another hero/successful public figure doing things we are in disbelief about. BUT he is not saying or defensing Joe's (in)actions..and people, as a father of three boys, by no means does that mean I don't think there are a whole bunch of Nittany Lion legends that shouldn't be punished times a billion due to this.

Al Golden commenting on Paterno; "It would be heartbreaking if it ended like this"

Al, I think some kids and their parents are a bit heart broken too.

Advice to anyone associated with PSU at all. Shut your pie holes about Paterno and his imminent firing. Nothing is going to sound right. If you have anything to say, say that you are glad he got what he deserved.
The coaching fraternity is full of stupid meatheads that think they're noble for protecting their own at all costs.

Golden implies that it would be less heartbreaking if it didn't end for Paterno right now

Saban and Golden are hotshot coaches and they're stupid enough to say like this or whatever Saban said about 911.

The whole sport is stupid. The winningest coach of them all just might be the dumbest of them all

The only guy with a brain in his head in the whole stupid sport is blackballed because he dared to make a famous guy's son sit in a garage

Heads need to roll at Penn State, no question.

Paterno is gone.

But imagine if, say, Boeheim was found doing the same thing as Sandusky.

How would we feel?

I assume you meant to compare Boeheim to Paterno and not Sandusky, yes?

Big difference between Sandusky did and what Paterno apparently failed to do.

I can't feel sad for someone who was able to allow something like this (whether his conscious was clear or not) to go on and not follow through and make sure that this predator was removed of his freedom's and placed behind bars where he belongs. This isn't about recruiting violations, ncaa rules or any of that BS this is about children. No sympathy, let the parents beat that ass and then place him behind bars, introduce him to his new life partner, some big, strong, hungry dude who cant wait for new booty. Then clean house, everyone's got to go, no matter who or how "legendary" the coach is.

The coaching fraternity is full of stupid meatheads that think they're noble for protecting their own at all costs.

Golden implies that it would be less heartbreaking if it didn't end for Paterno right now

Saban and Golden are hotshot coaches and they're stupid enough to say like this or whatever Saban said about 911.

The whole sport is stupid. The winningest coach of them all just might be the dumbest of them all

The only guy with a brain in his head in the whole stupid sport is blackballed because he dared to make a famous guy's son sit in a garage

People empower these guys and the fanatics that live for the sport they coach are just as much to blame because they often turn a blind eye because they too love the thrill of victory for various reasons. Far too often people lose perspective and put the wrong people for the wrong reasons on a pedestal and allow circumstances to happen that normally they wouldn't.