Adjustments to Future Non-Conf Scheduling for ACC Teams | Syracusefan.com

Adjustments to Future Non-Conf Scheduling for ACC Teams

cuse522

2nd String
I wanted to post this before we know our fate and emotions are hot. I think that ACC teams should seriously considering changing their non-conference scheduling if one of Syracuse/Wake don't get in. It's simply not a conference where a good team with a slow start can easily recover, or where a bubble team can win road games. In other words, if you have a year like we did, your BEST case scenario in this conference is probably 10-8. If you dropped Wake or 'Cuse in the Pac-12, they'd probably have won 12-13 conference games and been comfortably in.

If the committee doesn't properly weight the difficulty of the ACC against the B1G or Pac-12, for example, then teams of similar/slightly lesser talent in those conferences will always get in on the bubble over ACC teams.

In addition, it's so tough to win on the road in this conference, and if being 2-8 on the road is going to be what they throw in your face to keep you out, suddenly perhaps a team that normally doesn't do home and aways needs to do them. It becomes imperative to win a couple road games in non-conference over say 50-100 teams.

We're 84th in RPI... Obviously we're never going to play @Monmouth, but flipping that game to a road game and dropping the North Florida win for an @Providence win takes us to 69th.

We should be creative with it and try to get into recruiting centers , but it seems to me that giving ourselves 2-3 opportunities to win road games against teams that aren't powerhouses but are potentially top-100 teams might be necessary in a conference where the bubble teams are winning two or three road games. Maybe we could try to do some 2-for-1s with schools like VCU, Richmond, St. Joe's, Temple, UNLV, etc. Or try to book a road game near an early-season tournament (UNC played @Hawaii before the Maui Invitational).

Just some ideas for the future while we anxiously await and before we're either in celebratory mode or "sky is falling," mode.

I wanted to post this before we know our fate and emotions are hot. I think that ACC teams should seriously considering changing their non-conference scheduling if one of Syracuse/Wake don't get in. It's simply not a conference where a good team with a slow start can easily recover, or where a bubble team can win road games. In other words, if you have a year like we did, your BEST case scenario in this conference is probably 10-8. If you dropped Wake or 'Cuse in the Pac-12, they'd probably have won 12-13 conference games and been comfortably in.

If the committee doesn't properly weight the difficulty of the ACC against the B1G or Pac-12, for example, then teams of similar/slightly lesser talent in those conferences will always get in on the bubble over ACC teams.

In addition, it's so tough to win on the road in this conference, and if being 2-8 on the road is going to be what they throw in your face to keep you out, suddenly perhaps a team that normally doesn't do home and aways needs to do them. It becomes imperative to win a couple road games in non-conference over say 50-100 teams.

We're 84th in RPI... Obviously we're never going to play @Monmouth, but flipping that game to a road game and dropping the North Florida win for an @Providence win takes us to 69th.

We should be creative with it and try to get into recruiting centers , but it seems to me that giving ourselves 2-3 opportunities to win road games against teams that aren't powerhouses but are potentially top-100 teams might be necessary in a conference where the bubble teams are winning two or three road games. Maybe we could try to do some 2-for-1s with schools like VCU, Richmond, St. Joe's, Temple, UNLV, etc. Or try to book a road game near an early-season tournament (UNC played @Hawaii before the Maui Invitational).

Just some ideas for the future while we anxiously await and before we're either in celebratory mode or "sky is falling," mode.

You make a great point, one i have been preaching for years. We just recently started playing teams like whisky in the OOC. After we didnt make the field years back and the committee basically suggested we go out and develop an OOC resume. For 30 years jimmy didn't leave the dome til conference play in Jan.

We're playing 20 conference games starting in 2019-2020.

I understand that, but if in bubble years we're going 3-7 or 2-8 on the road in conference, it could make a huge difference to have one or two non-conference road wins over mid-majors.

I'd also argue we shouldn't play GTown, UConn, St Johns, etc as often. They're not going to be treated as rivalry games come bubble time, so let's just rotate UConn and St Johns at MSG every year and keep playing GTown every year so we can get into DC every other year I guess. I'd like to see us play every year at MSG, every other year in DC, and every year in either Philly or Richmond against mid-majors like VCU, Richmond, Temple, St Joes, etc.

You make a great point, one i have been preaching for years. We just recently started playing teams like whisky in the OOC. After we didnt make the field years back and the committee basically suggested we go out and develop an OOC resume. For 30 years jimmy didn't leave the dome til conference play in Jan.

Right, but I don't even know if Wisconsin type teams are the way to go. We're going to play 3-4 brutal road games in the ACC every year, and the rest aren't going to be easy either. I'd rather win 75% of non-conference road games against 50-100 teams than 30% against top-25 teams. It's debatable, I guess, but I feel like you get a lot more credit for a win @VCU than a loss @Wisc.

If we don't make it don't lose at home to Georgetown, St. John's, and neutral site games to UConn and South Carolina.

The ACC did nothing to hurt us.
Also beat Pitt and BC. The post is just not right IMO.

Right, but I don't even know if Wisconsin type teams are the way to go. We're going to play 3-4 brutal road games in the ACC every year, and the rest aren't going to be easy either. I'd rather win 75% of non-conference road games against 50-100 teams than 30% against top-25 teams. It's debatable, I guess, but I feel like you get a lot more credit for a win @VCU than a loss @Wisc.

Great point. We should look for a few games at teams like VCU as you mentioned, 3-4 other teams in the A10, AAC, MAC. problem is, P5 teams for years have had an attitude about going to a G5 Arena and playing quality teams. In the end, it can bolster your OOC. works in hoops, not fb. Geeez, give a siena, Dayton, MTSU, or Creighton a home/home! Come March they are respected games.

If we don't make it don't lose at home to Georgetown, St. John's, and neutral site games to UConn and South Carolina.

Yes, as flawed as this team was/is, 10-8 wasn't their best case scenario in conference. This team easily could have won 12 or 13 games in the league and be set up for a decent seeding despite the horrible nonconference showing.

Great point. We should look for a few games at teams like VCU as you mentioned, 3-4 other teams in the A10, AAC, MAC. problem is, P5 teams for years have had an attitude about going to a G5 Arena and playing quality teams. In the end, it can bolster your OOC. works in hoops, not fb. Geeez, give a siena, Dayton, MTSU, or Creighton a home/home! Come March they are respected games.

We could be selective about it as well: 2-for-1's and against schools in big cities. Philly and Richmond give us plenty of options, like I said. Maybe UIC or DePaul when their programs are on upward cycles, SMU, TCU, Houston, etc to get into Texas a bit.

I actually think Pitt is a bubble-talented team, but in a conference that ate it alive. I don't view that as a particularly bad loss. It's easy to say beat the bad teams we lost too, but that's kind of the point of the post. If you struggle early and get no road wins in non-conference, you're in a really toughs pot.

Yes, as flawed as this team was/is, 10-8 wasn't their best case scenario in conference. This team easily could have won 12 or 13 games in the league and be set up for a decent seeding despite the horrible nonconference showing.

OT vs. NC State, a buzzer beater against Duke and Clemson... This team could very easily have been 7-11 in conference. I think 10-8 was pretty close to the top of their possibilities.

Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the schedule.We lost games we should have won. UConn and Georgetown were predicted to be good teams this year. It didn't happen. We should have beat them. It's been the same structured non-conference since about 2009. That year we played Cal and UNC in the garden and we actually beat them. We will always play a BiG 10 team and we will always play in the city. There's no reason we should we losing this many games to these teams. It isn't football where we need to build ourselves up by playing cream puffs.

The whole point is how to schedule so that in down years we have a better bubble resume. If we didn't go 8-5 against garbage teams, we wouldn't be on the bubble and it wouldn't be an issue. There's no downside to scheduling differently in a good year, but in a bad year (and this is about as bad as it gets for us), a couple tweaks could leave us in a much better spot.

OT vs. NC State, a buzzer beater against Duke and Clemson... This team could very easily have been 7-11 in conference. I think 10-8 was pretty close to the top of their possibilities.
Of couse if could have swung in that direction, too, and then we'd all be doing something else right now.

Just win baby

If you live by grad transfers, you can die by grad transfers, if the team takes too much time to gel. This is what happened to SU. That and too much faith in FH with the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom