Advice for bringing kids to first SU game | Syracusefan.com

Advice for bringing kids to first SU game

cuseclappy

Winner 2016 SU Football Season Prediction Contest
I have been going to SU games for many years, but it was always with friends. So now that I am a dad I am embarking on an unknown world to me, attending sporting events with my kids...

So I was wondering if I could get some assist from the fellow dads and moms on the board for bringing my kids to their first ever game. Now for starters theyre young.. 3 and 1. So because of this my wife and I are going to be taking them to a women's game either this Sunday or next Tuesday to test the waters with how they do at the dome. I would much rather buy tickets to a womens game where they will have a little more wiggle room to get up and down and not anger everyone in the section like they would at a mens game.

Now where the advice part comes in. As mentioned I am going to a womens game, I have never been to a womens game, I plan on just buying tickets at the game itself, how much will the average seat cost me? I am aware of the average attendance at the dome for their games not exactly being in the 10k+, so are all tickets only for the first level?

Next, parking. I am used to parking a mile or so away from the dome and walking. Not ideal for my kids and my wife who complains/suggests other options over a bit of a walk. So are there lots closer to the dome that are more ideal and if so how much do they cost?

What are the chances Otto is more accessible at a womens game for my 3 year old to see up close?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks everyone

I only took the little man and the Mrs. to an msg game (I hate Temple now), my son was probably 5 at the time. Cotton candy, mini basketball the works. Anything to get him pumped. It worked well, but you have young ones, it will be draggy at times. Just try to keep their interest, really only thing I think helps when they're that young.
And I think the spread out idea with the women's game is a great thought!

I only took the little man and the Mrs. to an msg game (I hate Temple now), my son was probably 5 at the time. Cotton candy, mini basketball the works. Anything to get him pumped. It worked well, but you have young ones, it will be draggy at times. Just try to keep their interest, really only thing I think helps when they're that young.
And I think the spread out idea with the women's game is a great thought!

I think that is good advice, getting them to associate good things with the words Syracuse Basketball.

I also would advise against sitting in the section where the Indiana fan stripped down last season, it could happen again.

I have been going to SU games for many years, but it was always with friends. So now that I am a dad I am embarking on an unknown world to me, attending sporting events with my kids...

So I was wondering if I could get some assist from the fellow dads and moms on the board for bringing my kids to their first ever game. Now for starters theyre young.. 3 and 1. So because of this my wife and I are going to be taking them to a women's game either this Sunday or next Tuesday to test the waters with how they do at the dome. I would much rather buy tickets to a womens game where they will have a little more wiggle room to get up and down and not anger everyone in the section like they would at a mens game.

Now where the advice part comes in. As mentioned I am going to a womens game, I have never been to a womens game, I plan on just buying tickets at the game itself, how much will the average seat cost me? I am aware of the average attendance at the dome for their games not exactly being in the 10k+, so are all tickets only for the first level?

Next, parking. I am used to parking a mile or so away from the dome and walking. Not ideal for my kids and my wife who complains/suggests other options over a bit of a walk. So are there lots closer to the dome that are more ideal and if so how much do they cost? Kids wi

What are the chances Otto is more accessible at a womens game for my 3 year old to see up close?

Thanks everyone

Womens' game is great for seeing things up close and personal. You get your choice of seats. I parked in Oakwood where I have season parking pass but I don't think anyone was there to check. You will have far less worry at the womens' game and they are a good team ranked in the top 25. Everything is more accessible for kids.

Honestly, friend, I think 1 & 3 are too young. They will never remember it. I was actually a cheerleader for my dad's high school basketball team when I was 3. I only have the vaguest memory of riding on my dad's shoulders in the hallway. Apparently, I had a little outfit and everything. Ran out on the floor and cheered away with the high school girls.

Gosh, this is making me think... I got started early, didn't I? Huh.

Um, back to you! If I may be so bold to suggest this, you are probably doing this for the fun for you and your wife, rather than for them. They won't remember, and they may rather make your game experience not so fun at all. :eek:

I am being way too practical. Yes!!! By all means, take those little sweetums to a women's game because it will be much more personal and up close. The tickets are perhaps only $5 and you can sit anywhere you want. Sometimes the men players come to the women's games, so that could be fun.

I took my daughter to a game when she was 5. She didn't go again until she was 20. For the past 6 years she has gone to every single game with me. It is VERY fun! Good luck!

they are just a tad to young. i believe 4-5 y/o is good for starters, not for the game as they will not make it. good see otto, festive atmosphere, cheerleaders, band and kids activities before the game. the womens game suggestion made above is excellent

Next, parking. I am used to parking a mile or so away from the dome and walking. Not ideal for my kids and my wife who complains/suggests other options over a bit of a walk. So are there lots closer to the dome that are more ideal and if so how much do they cost?

Thanks everyone

I think this is very ambitious. I waited until my son was 5 despite the fact that he had enough patience to sit through an entire Yankee game at 4 (baseball always having been, by far, his favorite sport).

I just think that this is one of these things that seems like a really good idea at the time - and then it actually happens.

I know the feeling. I could not wait to introduce my son to SU hoops but I just think that 3 is too young.

I think this is very ambitious. I waited until my son was 5 despite the fact that he had enough patience to sit through an entire Yankee game at 4 (baseball always having been, by far, his favorite sport).

I just think that this is one of these things that seems like a really good idea at the time - and then it actually happens.

I know the feeling. I could not wait to introduce my son to SU hoops but I just think that 3 is too young.

yeah i get what youre saying, also to go off of a couple other responses, we know we could be flirting with danger for bringing them this young. esp our 3 year old who doesnt sit still for longer than 4 seconds. we are weighing out the pros and cons of this still, but thank you very much everyone for your suggestions and ideas (yes even you tdtorange for the JD idea)

yeah i get what youre saying, also to go off of a couple other responses, we know we could be flirting with danger for bringing them this young. esp our 3 year old who doesnt sit still for longer than 4 seconds. we are weighing out the pros and cons of this still, but thank you very much everyone for your suggestions and ideas (yes even you tdtorange for the JD idea)

And when you do decide to take them to a heavily attended game, I would do the following:

Always sit middle or upper deck front row so that nobody can block their view. Lower Level seems nice but people tend to stand a lot more and the stands tend to be less vertical.

Whenever possible, I also always buy club seats. People are generally more behaved and there is a lesser chance of having some drunk, foul-mouthed a$$hole sitting near you. Also, security is much less tolerant of that type of behavior in those seats.

Nothing worse than having your kid staring dumbfounded at some guy who sounds like Yosemite Sam on a bender...

So I was wondering if I could get some assist from the fellow dads and moms on the board for bringing my kids to their first ever game. Now for starters theyre young.. 3 and 1.

Sorry, but that's just too young. Get a sitter. A kid isn't really going to get the most out of the experience until they are around 5 years old.

Sorry, but that's just too young. Get a sitter. A kid isn't really going to get the most out of the experience until they are around 5 years old.
That's a little harsh, isn't it? I went back and read his original post and I don't think he was asking if it was a good experience to do it or not to do it. I give him a lot of credit for trying to pull this off.

Honestly, friend, I think 1 & 3 are too young. They will never remember it. I was actually a cheerleader for my dad's high school basketball team when I was 3. I only have the vaguest memory of riding on my dad's shoulders in the hallway. Apparently, I had a little outfit and everything. Ran out on the floor and cheered away with the high school girls.

Gosh, this is making me think... I got started early, didn't I? Huh.

Um, back to you! If I may be so bold to suggest this, you are probably doing this for the fun for you and your wife, rather than for them. They won't remember, and they may rather make your game experience not so fun at all. :eek:

I am being way too practical. Yes!!! By all means, take those little sweetums to a women's game because it will be much more personal and up close. The tickets are perhaps only $5 and you can sit anywhere you want. Sometimes the men players come to the women's games, so that could be fun.

I took my daughter to a game when she was 5. She didn't go again until she was 20. For the past 6 years she has gone to every single game with me. It is VERY fun! Good luck!

You were a cheerleader while your dad was playing high school basketball? Wow, that's way progressive for those days I'm guessing.

at about the 4:00 to go mark gently grab their young hands and begin to lead them up the aisle towards the exits. they may whine a little and complain "but daddy the game isn't over yet ". just try to calmy explain to the tadpoles that this is a dome tradition.

Last edited:
My Dad took me to an SU/Army football game when I was 4 or 5. I was expecting to see tanks, helicopters, etc., and when they weren't there I cried my eyes out apparently, and we left at halftime. He tells this story at least once per year.

You were a cheerleader while your dad was playing high school basketball? Wow, that's way progressive for those days I'm guessing.
Nooooo, I think you already suspect that my very young father (23 when I was born) was a high school teacher at the school. :)

Are you taking them because you have nobody to watch them or just to take them? If its the latter, why? 1 is way too young I think. I'm looking to take my 6 yr old to his first game this year and I think he may be a bit young to sit through that long of a game.

Last edited:

Thanks everyone
Back in the '80s I took my now 33 yr old daughter to the game and she was 2. She danced with Otto pregame and I got a pic of it. Took my 5yr old grandson last year to the Clemson Football game and I was expecting him to be fidgety, wanting to eat all the time, and he was actually just the opposite.

Are you taking them because you have nobody to watch them or just to take them. If its the latter...why? 3, and 1 are way too young. I'm looking to take my 6 yr old to his first game this year and I think he may be a bit young to sit through that long of a game.
My 5 yr old and 6 yr old are bugging me to take them to Bills games next year...

My 5 yr old and 6 yr old are bugging me to take them to Bills games next year...

I guess it also depends on how you think the child will be, as most have limited attention spans, then again you can also walk around the Dome or venue if they do get fidgety and there are other things to do at pro stadiums/arenas

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think kids under the age of about 14 or 15 belong at NFL games.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think kids under the age of about 14 or 15 belong at NFL games.
Definitely not in endzones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom