Advice for bringing kids to first SU game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Advice for bringing kids to first SU game

Are you taking them because you have nobody to watch them or just to take them? If its the latter, why? 1 is way too young I think. I'm looking to take my 6 yr old to his first game this year and I think he may be a bit young to sit through that long of a game.

the 1 year old would come basically just to come. the 3 year old screams "otto otto otto!" everytime i watch a game. ive even got her yelling this year "cmon cooney!" so i mainly wanted to see her reaction to everything up close. theres a chance she would last 25 minutes and want to leave or would be in awe and want to stay for most of the game. really just a trial and error type of situation

I suggest waiting a few more years for a men's game. At this age, the kids won't care about the game and you won't be able to pay attention to it while trying to appease them for 2 hours. It makes sense to try the women's game first.

I like that you're willing to try new things, and also that you obviously put the proper thought and planning into it. You may want to wait for a game where the presence of students and their enthusiasm is a bit diminished.

the 1 year old would come basically just to come. the 3 year old screams "otto otto otto!" everytime i watch a game. ive even got her yelling this year "cmon cooney!" so i mainly wanted to see her reaction to everything up close. theres a chance she would last 25 minutes and want to leave or would be in awe and want to stay for most of the game. really just a trial and error type of situation
Ha, nice about TC. I've got my boy going Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooney like I do after a made bucket. Insert "when was the last time he had a chance to say that" Cooney joke here. :)

I guess it depends on the child. I bring my kids to games from 1 on. My first game with my son was when he just turned 2 and Gerry and Melo beat Ga Tech. My son has had a season ticket for fball since he turned 3. They won't remember but I will. Even at men's games you can sit in open sections in the upper deck. The kids have more room to move around as long as they stay in your row. Without question your kids will get to meet Otto at a women's game. You can take a picture with Otto and even a men's team player if they are there. Last year my kids got pictures with Silent G and Baye at a women's game. Consider going to cuse.com and signing your kids up for the Cuse Kids Club. They get admission to all women's games for free, admission to 3 men's bball games and 1 football game for free, admission to all women's and men's lax games for free, as well as a Syracuse Otto t-shirt. All for 12 bucks per kid. It's the best family deal in Syracuse.

full disclosure - I'm not a parent though I've spent a great deal of time watching after my 5 year old niece and nephew...Yes, 1 and 3 may be a little young, but with a women's game, there is little risk. You won't spend that much money and there is plenty of space if they get jumpy. Keep snacks and fully charged ipad nearby. They may very well love cheering with the crowd and taking pictures with Otto. But if you sense a meltdown coming on, you can head out. I'm sure you know not to force it and if it's clear they aren't having a good time, shrug it off and head out. I'd probably caution you against taking them to a men's game vs. a rival opponent, but a women's game seems like a good trial run. Good luck.

If you do go to a men's game...you can tell the kids that it's a traidition for them to close their eyes and shout, "Noooooo" every time the Orange hoist a 3.

I have been going to SU games for many years, but it was always with friends. So now that I am a dad I am embarking on an unknown world to me, attending sporting events with my kids...

So I was wondering if I could get some assist from the fellow dads and moms on the board for bringing my kids to their first ever game. Now for starters theyre young.. 3 and 1. So because of this my wife and I are going to be taking them to a women's game either this Sunday or next Tuesday to test the waters with how they do at the dome. I would much rather buy tickets to a womens game where they will have a little more wiggle room to get up and down and not anger everyone in the section like they would at a mens game.

Now where the advice part comes in. As mentioned I am going to a womens game, I have never been to a womens game, I plan on just buying tickets at the game itself, how much will the average seat cost me? I am aware of the average attendance at the dome for their games not exactly being in the 10k+, so are all tickets only for the first level?

Next, parking. I am used to parking a mile or so away from the dome and walking. Not ideal for my kids and my wife who complains/suggests other options over a bit of a walk. So are there lots closer to the dome that are more ideal and if so how much do they cost?

What are the chances Otto is more accessible at a womens game for my 3 year old to see up close?

Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks everyone
I go to a couple of women's games every year. From my experience, Otto is always there and your kid should have time to interact with Otto for a while. I have pictures of my nieces with Otto, he/she will high five them, dance with them, etc.

Also, if your kids like attention, they can get on the big screen replay boards with little problem. Not a lot of people in the stands, especially cute kids who like to ham it up for the camera.

I think tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for kids, $20 for courtside cto type tickets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom