After Melo, who had the 2nd best freshman year? | Syracusefan.com

After Melo, who had the 2nd best freshman year?

PoppyHart

All American
There are many to choose from, but I'll say Moten as of now. Could change in the coming weeks.

Gotta say DC1... back then it was very rare for a freshman to be that great on a team that goes all the way to the NC game.

I may get killed on here but this person... on a terrible team.

GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG%. FT%. APG RPG BPG SPG
35. 35.8. 17.7 41.8 34.5 70.7. 2.0 7.2 1.6 1.3

Last edited:

Who's this?

Yeah, that's terrible.

As soon as I saw the 41.8 FG% I knew it was Donte Greene. In Big East and postseason play he shot a terrible 39% from the field, and 32% from 3. In Big East and postseason play, je averaged over 8 3-point attempts per games, which represented over 50% of his attempts.

I know we were a young team and someone had to shoot, but he would often seem to make no effort to use the talents he had and work for more efficient shots. He would never make any effort off the ball - he just took the easy way out, which was to catch and shoot long contested jumpers. And these were often with plenty of time on shot clock. No need for the shot.

Donte Greene was the best freshman we ever had in terms of being able to get contested long shots over defenders. They didn't go in, but nobody could get them off like Donte.

Yeah, that's terrible.

Donte Greene was the best freshman we ever had in terms of being able to get contested long shots over defenders. They didn't go in, but nobody could get them off like Donte.

It was the large volume of 3 point shots that Donte took which distorted his overall FG%. Both his 2 point and 3 point percentages reflect excellent shooting accuracy especially for a 6'9' player and were very comparable to Melo's numbers. Their teams and "supporting casts" at SU though were very different. Donte's reluctance to "mix it up", improve his inside game hurt his overall development making it easier to defend him, unlike Melo who became an aggressive force inside and out and forced his will on opponents. Their shooting accuracy alone was very comparable though while both had issues judging what a "good shot" was in some game situations. Melo's intensity, confidence and competitiveness fueled his great NBA career.

Ironically both Melo and Donte played 35 games for SU. Melo's memorable-Dontes unfortunately, forgettable - all because of team accomplishments/failure.

name---- 2pt fg%----3pt fg% ---total FG %---total FGA --- 2 pt fga---3pt fga
Donte--- 49.2%---- 34.5% ---- .418---------- 521 ---------- 261-------260
Melo----- 49.1%---- 33.7%----- .453 ----------616-----------450------161

Regarding the original best freshman question, I think Pearl changed the perception of SU as a national basketball power as a freshman but Melo solidified both SU & JB's place in basketball history.

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but Billy Owens made the cover of Sports Illustrated as a freshman before the season began. I can only imagine if we had this board back then.

1130_large.jpg

Last edited:
Billy was pretty good. Really good. Great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom