After the two exhibition games | Syracusefan.com

After the two exhibition games

sherrillcuse

Past IGGY Winner
Who have you been the most impressed with?

For me it's been Ron Patterson. Followed by Gbinije.

Patterson looks like he may be an instant spark from the bench. Plays good D and has been hitting some shots.

McCulloch and Joseph also look good but I've been most impressed with Patterson.

What are your thoughts...

Gbinije.

Tired of having fan favorite leaders off the court. Time to have someone who can consistently do it all and hold it down for our team on the court. Need another Kueth.

I agree with what you wrote. A big thing with G is that he's put on some muscle and is better built to play the 3. He's also more assertive on offense and looks like he'll be a double digit scorer for us. His handle is noticeably tighter too.

Honestly, Silent G developing into a solid player is something I actually fully expected. You could see later in the year last season he was getting more confident, and showing flashes of being a very adept offensive weapon.

Kaleb first because he simply seems much better much sooner than I expected and I thought he would be good. Very poised and under control for a freshman ball handler. He seems to be able to do it all but still needs to learn when to do what to some extent but the kid is good.

Mike next and not just what he is doing but the way he is doing it looking completely confident in his abilities. Can Tyler and Chris spend the week watching video of Mike going up and grabbing rebounds with two hands securely? Mike can do so many things well while playing three positions. I think we can be pretty good offensively when he and Kaleb are in the game.

After that Buss , Rakeem and Chris. I've been pretty impressed with the range of things Chris can do but he looks like a kid that will take 20 games to really put things together although with his talent he will still put up big numbers while learning.

other than Cooney (obviously) and Roberson, i think everyone had looked pretty good.

Jury's out on Gbinije until he rebounds and defends against a couple teams with an actual Division I sized small forward.

That said, he's looking fit and assertive and going after defensive rebounds with tenacity. That's been a pleasant surprise.

Jury's out on Gbinije until he rebounds and defends against a couple teams with an actual Division I sized small forward.

That said, he's looking fit and assertive and going after defensive rebounds with tenacity. That's been a pleasant surprise.

He can still play the 1 or the 2 against D1 sized teams and provide great size and good rebounding from those positions either way. I think he will be fine rebounding against ACC and P5 teams when he plays the 3 but even if he is not able to it doesn't diminish his abilities as much as it limits the versatility he provides us which would mean relying more on our young forwards. Mike IMO has taken a step forward and looks more physical and aggressive especially on the glass. We shall have to see.

Honestly, Silent G developing into a solid player is something I actually fully expected. You could see later in the year last season he was getting more confident, and showing flashes of being a very adept offensive weapon.

Unlike you I did not expect it at all. I figured Silent G would look the same as last year - maybe slightly better, but no big jump.

He definitely looks to be a bit more ready to go than he did last year at this time, and appears to be set to have a decent second season. I think he'd be the player I'm most impressed by, but only because my expectations were kind of low. :)

Unlike you I did not expect it at all. I figured Silent G would look the same as last year - maybe slightly better, but no big jump.

He definitely looks to be a bit more ready to go than he did last year at this time, and appears to be set to have a decent second season. I think he'd be the player I'm most impressed by, but only because my expectations were kind of low. :)
I'll be honest, there was one play last year late in the season that convinced me there's a real player lurking beneath the surface. I can't remember who it was against, but he had the ball near the top of the key, made a dribble, spun into the lane, and made a tough bucket. It was by far the most confident move he made all of last year, and it was so smooth and natural looking that it convinced me "this kid can play...he just needs to believe that."

I'll be honest, there was one play last year late in the season that convinced me there's a real player lurking beneath the surface. I can't remember who it was against, but he had the ball near the top of the key, made a dribble, spun into the lane, and made a tough bucket. It was by far the most confident move he made all of last year, and it was so smooth and natural looking that it convinced me "this kid can play...he just needs to believe that."

It was the Virginia and @Duke that convinced me. He has balls, he was just genuinely uncomfortable imo last year.

All are good answers but for me it's KJ with Silent G a close second. I wasn't sure how KJ was going to look and he is manning the most important position for this team. So far he has filled some very big shoes.

All are good answers but for me it's KJ with Silent G a close second. I wasn't sure how KJ was going to look and he is manning the most important position for this team. So far he has filled some very big shoes.

A lot of good answers to great question, but yours was closest to what I was about to say.

Kaleb for me. Kid's played great and has pushed the tempo. He will get more dimes, but if he sees the opportunity to get into the lane, he takes it. Also surprised of his ability to knock down the mid range and deep jumper.
Ah, that would be Kaleb "Dwayne" Joseph ...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom