Class of 2014 - AJ Long, KJ Williams, J Noye top 10 at NLA's | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 AJ Long, KJ Williams, J Noye top 10 at NLA's

money3189

Living Legend
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- The Next Level 7-on-7 tournament made its way through the Midwest on Saturday, and while there was a noticeable absence of Ohio players because of rules that prohibit Ohioans to play in 7-on-7 competitions before June 1, the event still had close to two dozen teams and several big-time prospects.

With big names coming from several states, several players put themselves on the radar following big days Saturday, but it was the stars, as expected, who stole the spotlight again.

Here is a look at the top 10 performers in the 2014 class from the 7-on-7 Midwest regional:

A.J. Long
Lebanon (Tenn.) Friendship Christian
2014 QB-DT
6-1, 180

It was easy to see Long was back in his comfort zone throwing passes once again to players from eastern Pennsylvania. Long lived in the area before moving to Tennessee before his junior season, but he was reunited with his friends and cousin K.J. Williams.

“We’ve grown up together, been together every single day,” Williams said. “We played every single game together until we got to high school.”

Long found Williams for a long touchdown during round-robin play, too, and the Syracuse quarterback commit is now hoping to reunite with Williams for more than just a weekend. Long, who committed to the Orange last week, is trying to get Williams to visit Syracuse, and if the Orange offer, Long might not let Williams tell the Orange staff no.

Justin Noye
East Rochester (N.Y.)
2014 ATH
6-1, 191

With six offers, few prospects came into the event with more offers. However, Noye was still an under-the-radar recruit coming. And it looked like he would remain out of the spotlight early on as he battled a leg injury.

In the second game of the day, though, Noye, playing receiver, went deep and caught a long touchdown to get his team going.

“He’s a heck of an athlete,” CTC 7-on-7 coach Kala Gause said. “He can play anywhere. He’s a pistol you can’t contain. We knew he was special in Pop Warner, when he scored every which way.”

K.J. Williams
Bethlehem (Pa.) Liberty
2014 WR
6-2, 190

Although he has double-digit offers, Williams is not one of the more talked about receivers in the East for the 2014 class. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound playmaker is a quiet one, but his game speaks volumes.

Al Crosby, who coaches Williams as part of the 7-on-7 team and is one of the Next Level founders, placed Williams among the top three or four receivers at the event Saturday. Williams lived up the billing with a spectacular, 39-yard catch on an underthrown ball and then a 40-yard touchdown later on.

Williams is beginning to find a few favorites, with Michigan and Rutgers at the top of the list.

Money, Does Noye have an offer yet? What position is he projected to play in college? Finally, do we have a real shot at him? Thanks!

From SU, no offer. He currently has Rutgers, Uconn, Temple, Umass, UB, Albany offers. I can see him playing WR or Safety. Most of those schools like him as a slot WR. Justin is starting to get fustrated with the lack of contact from SU.

From SU, no offer. He currently has Rutgers, Uconn, Temple, Umass, UB, Albany offers. I can see him playing WR or Safety. Most of those schools like him as a slot WR. Justin is starting to get fustrated with the lack of contact from SU.
He is frustrated because he has interest in SU and they are not showing him any? Do you think SU believes that he will go to Rutgers because of the Gause connection?

Carter screwed them over last year and since Gause seems to be involved with this kid to maybe they figure he'll end up at rutgers and so they don't want to waste their time.

Carter screwed them over last year and since Gause seems to be involved with this kid to maybe they figure he'll end up at rutgers and so they don't want to waste their time.
At what point do people ask if Gause is on contract with Rutgers? You know, like street agent contract. Too harsh?

Cuse stopped checking in on Carter from what I was told. He felt unwanted. I know for sure that SU didnt think he was a must get, (talent wise)

Cuse stopped checking in on Carter from what I was told. He felt unwanted. I know for sure that SU didnt think he was a must get, (talent wise)

I wonder what 'checking in' means and how often and at what point. Certainly hard to 'check in' during staff changeover. Buttgers was right there to console him - which is par for course.

Who at SU didn't think he was a must get talent wise? There were only 3 coaches left over and this is surprising to me consider the numbers he put up at the SU camp and the need for linebackers. Or did we not have a need for a fullback?

He was originally a Wheatley recruit. The fact that just about everybody and their brother took off in mid-January left a vacuum for sure, but it sounds like Rutgers was on him all through the fall, recruiting him at his preferred position. Sucks to lose a local kid like that, but it's what they do best.

He was originally a Wheatley recruit. The fact that just about everybody and their brother took off in mid-January left a vacuum for sure, but it sounds like Rutgers was on him all through the fall, recruiting him at his preferred position. Sucks to lose a local kid like that, but it's what they do best.
This has nothing to do with Rutgers. This is SU's fault for not contacting the kid

This has nothing to do with Rutgers. This is SU's fault for not contacting the kid
Not doubting your word. The new staff was playing catch up when they came into the fold during the last half of January. Won't comment on the previous staff's lack of contact. Hopefully those days are behind us.

Not doubting your word. The new staff was playing catch up when they came into the fold during the last half of January. Won't comment on the previous staff's lack of contact. Hopefully those days are behind us.

This kid was a linebacker. If Shafer REALLY wanted him, he would have made it happen (i.e., staying in contact).

Seeing as how Money said the staff didn't think this was a "must get" kid tells me it was prolly Marrone and his recruiter who wanted him.

This kid was a linebacker. If Shafer REALLY wanted him, he would have made it happen (i.e., staying in contact).

Seeing as how Money said the staff didn't think this was a "must get" kid tells me it was prolly Marrone and his recruiter who wanted him.
Makes sense. I remember reading that Weatley pushed hard for him to get an offer. The only thing that makes me pause is that other recruits mentioned they were not contacted during the season as well. At least that's what was said/reported here. But anyway, hoping we don't hear those kinds of things in the future. It's obvious that a lot of these recruits need constant attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom