Al Golden Thread | Syracusefan.com

Al Golden Thread

OrangeInPA

Walk On
I remember he was on a list (while coaching Temple) of possible replacements for GRob when HCDM was hired in 2009. Any chance he is on Coyle's list?

i know why people like him, i get it. but it's hard for me not to be all statler/waldorfy

Statler-and-waldorf.jpg

I remember he was on a list (while coaching Temple) of possible replacements for GRob when HCDM was hired in 2009. Any chance he is on Coyle's list?
To me, he'd be a solid choice. He's likely not in the top 2-3, but if things start to disintegrate on Coyle's list, we could do worse. Let's say option #4.

He'd be playing essentially the same competition with Syracuse recruits instead of miami recruits (where he failed). Why do we think this would work?

Just for the record, I started this thread because A) nobody has yet already B) he was supposedly on the list of possible replacements for GRob 7 years ago and C) has head coaching experience, which according to some, is supposedly a prerequisite for the Syracuse HC job. Golden IMO is a retread, but I was curious how other people felt about his candidacy.

The guy couldn't win with top 25 recruiting classes at Miami. And the thought of him wearing a stupid tie on the sideline in homage to that POS Paterno makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Just for the record, I started this thread because A) nobody has yet already B) he was supposedly on the list of possible replacements for GRob 7 years ago and C) has head coaching experience, which according to some, is supposedly a prerequisite for the Syracuse HC job. Golden IMO is a retread, but I was curious how other people felt about his candidacy.

Actually, I got tarred and feathered for suggesting him in early November

http://syracusefan.com/threads/al-golden.95650/

He won with crap recruits at Temple. The Miami gig ain't what it used to be.

I wouldnt be opposed to it but we aren't going that route.

not a fit. lots schools, lots of situations, lots of coaches. i'm glad we appear to have an AD who understands our situation.

golden could be good at an aspiring factory that isn't in shambles. that's where he belongs but those jobs are tough to come by

maybe the dregs of the big 12 who feel like they have to go really far against the grain in their conference to have a puncher's chance. kansas, iowa state

we are in a good spot where enough of the ACC is adrift where we're not backed into a corner - we can get a head start on the rest of the conference on offense and not be forced to react

He did well against a Mac schedule...though he did still manage to lose to nova in that Big 5 shootout! When he played something similar to OUR schedule, he stunk with top 10 recruits.

not a fit. lots schools, lots of situations, lots of coaches. i'm glad we appear to have an AD who understands our situation.

golden could be good at an aspiring factory that isn't in shambles. that's where he belongs but those jobs are tough to come by

maybe the dregs of the big 12 who feel like they have to go really far against the grain in their conference to have a puncher's chance. kansas, iowa state

we are in a good spot where enough of the ACC is adrift where we're not backed into a corner - we can get a head start on the rest of the conference on offense and not be forced to react

Golden would be very good at Maryland. Dangerously good. He recruits the east coast very well. He made a killing in PA, NY, and NJ in his PSU and UVA days.

He actually would be good here are well. His offenses at Miami were pretty dynamic. But we aren't going that route. Moot point.

Golden would be very good at Maryland. Dangerously good. He recruits the east coast very well. He made a killing in PA, NY, and NJ in his PSU and UVA days.

He actually would be good here are well. His offenses at Miami were pretty dynamic. But we aren't going that route. Moot point.
last year killed him. it must eat at him. they completely broke the connection between moving & stopping the ball and winning

He'll appeal to the "eastern football/northeast ties" crowd, but I hope we look elsewhere.

Plus the whole paterno worship thing is revolting.

last year killed him. it must eat at him. they completely broke the connection between moving & stopping the ball and winning
They flat quit on him. I thought he'd be great coming from Temple but it didn't transpire. I think he can still get it done but he may have to take a step down.

Apologies, I only went to the 3rd page when seeing if this topic had already been discussed. Still getting to know my way around this site.

No apologies needed. Just know that our stellar performance over the past 20 years allows us to be snobbishly selective with coaching candidates.

I wonder what's going to happen to all of Miami recruits. The last time I checked, I think Golden has 15 top 3oo committments.

I would love Golden to be honest. Solid resume and experience. Wish he could be considered.

They flat quit on him. I thought he'd be great coming from Temple but it didn't transpire. I think he can still get it done but he may have to take a step down.
i meant 2014 - wasn't clear. this year, they quit. but last year was screwy

The guy checks a lot of boxes, but there are coaches that can do more with less, the last three years he has led the nation in less with more.

Hate his defense. Gap control. No attack. Ruined Miami's D because of it.

Why are we wasting bandwidth on this guy? What has he done to merit consideration?

"Clemson jumped to a 45-0 lead before pulling out their starters. Clemson handed the Hurricanes their worst loss in the 90-year history of the program as the Hurricanes finally fell 58-0. This then led the University of Miami athletic director Blake James to dismiss Golden as head coach"