Albany Game Preview (02/10/23, 6pm) | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game Preview (02/10/23, 6pm)

How good are they this year? Any intel?

Mark there will be a preview coming today or tomorrow. They will be better then last yewr for sure. Their offense has a couple of real nice pieces and will cause problems. Defensively they have a couple of good poles especially the LSM whose local kid. They arent deep Defensively though and their short sticks can be exploited.

Albany doesn't have a great midfield, if you shut down Hogg they will be in trouble but they do have other pieces including a frosh player from Canada whose getting a lot of pub.

Expect a close game

Last edited:
Mark there will be a preview coming today or tomorrow. They will be better then last yewr for sure. Their offense has a couple of real nice pieces and will cause problems. Defensively they have a couple of good pokes especially the LSM whose local kid. They arent deep Defensively though and their short sticks can be exploited.

Albany doesn't have a great midfield, if you shut down Hogg they will be in trouble but they do have other pieces including a frosh Native player from Canada whose getting a lot of pub.

Expect a close game
SU 14, Albany 8.

Regan Endres is a solid faceoff guy who was 50% or better against Cornell, Vermont, Yale, and Penn last year but I'm not sure why Jeremy thinks their offense will cause problems. They lack firepower and just lost one of their few returning weapons in Cam Hay. Piseno is a menace in the middle of the field but i'm not seeing the offensive threat here. 14-8 sounds about right. I'm expecting the line to be Cuse -4.5 or -5.5.

Regan Endres is a solid faceoff guy who was 50% or better against Cornell, Vermont, Yale, and Penn last year but I'm not sure why Jeremy thinks their offense will cause problems. They lack firepower and just lost one of their few returning weapons in Cam Hay. Piseno is a menace in the middle of the field but i'm not seeing the offensive threat here. 14-8 sounds about right. I'm expecting the line to be Cuse -4.5 or -5.5.
I agree. Albany is the biggest dumpster fire in college lacrosse right now. Outside of the abysmal performance Cuse had last year against Albany, the Danes were one of the worst teams in college lacrosse. Syracuse wins this game by 6 with a sub-par effort and perfect weather on their side. If this game is close, then concerns can be heard. There isn't one player on Albany right now that anyone should fear

Endres is definitely solid he struggled against Phaup last year but he's gonna be a problem. My comment on Albanys offense was more that their offense in general will cause problems as Hogg, Whitcomb, Pucci and the Frosh Richmond projects as a good attack unit and could be really good if they can get anything from the midfield. I assume Marr will have to play several attack guys at middie as they dont have much there at all and Fingar is already out for the year.

Similar to Vermont I think the main concern is at the X. Unlike Vermont though, I dont think Albany is as good defensively. Piseno is a terror for sure but Hays brother left and they lost another starting defender to. One of their better poles Pepe apparently got injured in their scrimmage, no idea the severity but if he's out thats a big loss. Probably will result in another local kid Sam Stratton getting the start.

If SU can shut down Hogg they should win comfortably but Albany has O talent.

I agree. Albany is the biggest dumpster fire in college lacrosse right now. Outside of the abysmal performance Cuse had last year against Albany, the Danes were one of the worst teams in college lacrosse. Syracuse wins this game by 6 with a sub-par effort and perfect weather on their side. If this game is close, then concerns can be heard. There isn't one player on Albany right now that anyone should fear

Albany was bad last year and their clearly not a top 20 team but their also not VMI or Hampton. Piseno, Endres, Hogg are pretty good players

Albany was bad last year and their clearly not a top 20 team but their also not VMI or Hampton. Piseno, Endres, Hogg are pretty good players
Still, ONE of the worst teams in college lacrosse. 8 goal loss to SUNY Binghamton had to be an all-time low for the program.

Still, ONE of the worst teams in college lacrosse. 8 goal loss to SUNY Binghamton had to be an all-time low for the program.

I agree they were bad last year but does that make them "one of the worst teams in college lacrosse"? We were terrible last year and I never felt we were one of the worst teams especially after we lost to said Albany team.

Endres is definitely solid he struggled against Phaup last year but he's gonna be a problem. My comment on Albanys offense was more that their offense in general will cause problems as Hogg, Whitcomb, Pucci and the Frosh Richmond projects as a good attack unit and could be really good if they can get anything from the midfield. I assume Marr will have to play several attack guys at middie as they dont have much there at all and Fingar is already out for the year.

Similar to Vermont I think the main concern is at the X. Unlike Vermont though, I dont think Albany is as good defensively. Piseno is a terror for sure but Hays brother left and they lost another starting defender to. One of their better poles Pepe apparently got injured in their scrimmage, no idea the severity but if he's out thats a big loss. Probably will result in another local kid Sam Stratton getting the start.

If SU can shut down Hogg they should win comfortably but Albany has O talent.
I believe Endres is red shirting this year (labrum) and they lost a couple of other players with preseason ACL tears (including Hay). But they are super deep at attack and I think we'll see one or two of those guys running midfield - the kid from Yorktown who transferred in from Denver (Sheehan) is the real deal. I think faceoff is going to be a big weakness for them - with Endres out it's up for grabs. I saw the one kid play last year (Oppenheimer) when I went down to catch the Mt Siani / Yorktown scrimmage. He's big and strong, but not all that quick. Cuse should come into the game with a giant chip on their shoulder after last year.

I believe Endres is red shirting this year (labrum) and they lost a couple of other players with preseason ACL tears (including Hay). But they are super deep at attack and I think we'll see one or two of those guys running midfield - the kid from Yorktown who transferred in from Denver (Sheehan) is the real deal. I think faceoff is going to be a big weakness for them - with Endres out it's up for grabs. I saw the one kid play last year (Oppenheimer) when I went down to catch the Mt Siani / Yorktown scrimmage. He's big and strong, but not all that quick. Cuse should come into the game with a giant chip on their shoulder after last year.

Wasn't aware Endres was out, yikes thats a massive loss. Agree on their attack unit and had heard some rumblings on Sheehan and the Canadian kid. Midfield is obviously a major issue for them and one where they probably will have to play 2 attackmen there. Marr would be wise to get Carino there when hes up to speed.

Agree on Oppenheimer, saw a lot of him watching Spallina. Was hoping SU would take a flyer on him.

With so much change over from last year I am not sure how muchnof a chip there is but your right, that was an embarrassing performance.

Sounds like Endres played in Albanys scrimmage this weekend. Don't think he's redshirting.

Wasn't aware Endres was out, yikes thats a massive loss. Agree on their attack unit and had heard some rumblings on Sheehan and the Canadian kid. Midfield is obviously a major issue for them and one where they probably will have to play 2 attackmen there. Marr would be wise to get Carino there when hes up to speed.

Agree on Oppenheimer, saw a lot of him watching Spallina. Was hoping SU would take a flyer on him.

With so much change over from last year I am not sure how muchnof a chip there is but your right, that was an embarrassing performance.

Sounds like Endres played in Albanys scrimmage this weekend. Don't think he's redshirting.

The guy I talked to from Victor was definite about Hay but wasn't sure on Endres - said he had surgery to repair labrums in both hips. Sounds like that would be a tough things to recover from for a FOGO.

When I spoke with Coach Marr at the end of October, he said he really liked this team. That was, of course, before the injuries to Hay and Fingar though.

I won't start a new thread like I usually do, but wanted to give my thoughts on an Albany game -

On offense the Danes bring back some nice pieces from last year - they lost their second leading scorer (Yunker) to graduation, and their fifth leading scorer to injury (Hay). Other than that they bring back three players who scored more than 20 points. The problem is those guys didn't produce all that much. Hogg, Puchi and Whitcomb combined for 92 points, which is pretty meh in the grand scheme of things. That said, according to posters who know more about this team than I (like Jeremey) the Danes welcome in some intriguing newcomers in players like TJ Sheehan and Silas Richmond (6'4, 190).

Albany runs a unique offense and won't hesistate to push things in transition. A big question I have is will SU's attackmen turned midfield be able to keep up? Never thought I would worry about a team running on Syracuse, but I do worry about playes like Kirst and Cook getting caught on the wrong side of the field. Also last year, guys who produced very little against the rest of the schedule put up career highs against the Orange - Thomas Decker never scored more than two points in any one game, but had four against the Orange.

The SU defense answered a lot of questions last week against Vermont. They looked great in many facets of the game and Will Mark was outstanding. Can he match last week's performance against a pesky Albany offense? Have to imagine Caccamo gets the Hogg assignment. Short sticks will have to be on notice as the Danes won't really care about matchups. Also clears have to improve with all their access to indoor facilities, the Orange really have no excuse not to.

Given that news came out about Hay and Fingar being injured for the year, I'd be surprised if news about Enders being out was somehow hidden. He had a decent year last year for the Danes finishing 53% winning percentage. Good but not great. Richiusa, even if he did finish below 50% against Tommy Burke was the biggest surprise for me against Vermont. It wasn't always pretty, but given all the question marks before the season I'd take that sort of performance time and again. This feels like a game where he really should go over 50%.

Albany lost two starters on defense and their goalie from last year who stood on his head against SU despite having a pretty mediocre year overall. They do return Elijah Gash who had a good game against the Orange, holding Tucker Dordevic to 3-15 shooting last year. I imagine he'll be on Joey Spallina. The Danes also return Jake Piseno who co-lead the team in caused turnovers with 27. I'm very curious to see if they match him up with Finn Thomson. If they do Jackson Birtwistle will have to have a bigger dodging impact. In goal, the Danes rotated three guys throughout last year, none of them had a save percentage over 50%. Will Ramos who gave SU fits with a 15 save performance last year is gone.

Obviously the Orange enter the game with lots of questions on offense after only putting up seven goals against the Catamounts. What will change? Obviously Spallina needs to play better but if his shots start falling, the who team should be more productive. Do they make personnel changes? The second midfield line did indeed look out of whack, and while it's too early to panic, it would be good to see some production out of this group.

Draft Kings as the Orange as 6.5 point favorites. Personally for me that is a little high. The Orange have more talent than the Danes but this feels like a game where Syracuse could easily stub their toe. Lots of CNY kids dot the roster of Albany and Scott Marr seems to take special pleasure in causing the Orange headaches. I thought Albany had no chance last year but they outplayed the Orange all over the field (minus the face-off X). Also the Danes will have tape of the Orange whereas Syracuse will not as Albany has not played a game yet this season. With new faces dotting the Albany starting lineup comes unfamiliar challenges. I think this game is closer to a three point battle, something like 12-9 maybe? Looking and hoping to see the Orange improve on offense and keep up their solid defensive work.

“Also the Danes will have tape of the Orange whereas Syracuse will not as Albany has not played a game yet this season.”

This is what scares me about this game. Has Colgate vibes.

“Also the Danes will have tape of the Orange whereas Syracuse will not as Albany has not played a game yet this season.”

This is what scares me about this game. Has Colgate vibes.

Albany has had at least 1 open to the public scrimmage. I'd think Syracuse sent someone to watch, or they should have.

LAXDepth0208.png

We know it hardly matters how much they have disappointed recently and how depleted the roster is. They always come hungry for a win. If we do not match their energy then we will lose or escape with a close one plain and simple. They will take every opportunity to push transition. I worry about how guys like Leo and Thomson will play stuck on D. Rosa would do well stuck on defense. Wonder if they ever actually try him on O this year. Have to be prepared to roll out a strong and athletic middie line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom