Alibi Time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alibi Time

Yeah, I don't really disagree. I think if the OL was simply playing significantly better we'd all actually feel pretty good about this team. Hopefully that happens. I would point out, though, that we also went from two IAAs and a terrible MAC team (Akron), to 1 IAA, two pretty credible mid-majors in Tulane and Toledo. I don't know. I don't entirely disagree, but I don't think I'd be seriously worried about the direction of the program if we won 6 vs. 8.

I've got Tulane as horrible.

should bailey take a seat? or walter payton award winner nassib? chew?

we'll see his recruits soon enough.

i dont know but 3 walk-ons have played ahead of recruits we've gone gaga over the past few years )lthough it looks like one of our top recruits moved ahead of one walk-on)

i dont know but 3 walk-ons have played ahead of recruits we've gone gaga over the past few years )lthough it looks like one of our top recruits moved ahead of one walk-on)

Well, to be fair we're only talking about one full class that has been on the field for a full year (the class that came in in Feb. '10 is Marrone's first full class, the Feb. '11 group is the second). There's not a lot of true freshmen that I'd expect to unseat Nassib, Chew, Bailey, Lemon or Provo. And, for that matter, DC3 or Sales in '10.

Also, to be fair, the guys we've seen have shown the potential to be pretty solid players, at least in my opinion. Gulley, Kobena and Wales seem like decent prospects and Rene has gotten on the field. The reports have been pretty good on AAM, Foster and Hale as well as West -- even though we've seen none of them. Copa and Miller were injured, and Timbers didn't make it.

I think what you're seeing is likely a combination of recruiting good raw athletes that need seasoning, GRob being a better recruiter than he gets credit for, a coaching staff that will go with experience and intelligence over raw talent if it's relatively close, and a pair of recruiting classes that have been defense, OL and QB heavy. It's fair to say we haven't hit any home runs, but I think it's too early to get overly concerned about an experienced walkon with good hands playing over a true freshman at WR.

While I agree with the concerns with the team as we move forward, I remain optimistic about our chances for a good year. We're 2-0 for the first time in over a decade, our offense shows more promise than in many years, and the players & coaches seem united in doing what it takes to win. We have a lot of young players that can improve during the season and coaches that will work hard to put them in a position to compete. No team is ever stagnant, i.e. they're growing or diminishing. I'm a believer and will continue to drink the kool-aid. The team will grow throughout the year and will be competitive, even in the games we lose. In the end, I think they do SU proud and win more than they lose with a resulting bowl game as the reward. We watch the team constantly throughout the year, discuss every aspect of team development, and debate endlessly the potential for good and bad results. While it's premature to be confident that the team will thrive, it's also premature to be pessimistic about our chances. We could have lost both of the first two games, but we didn't. The team found a way to win. Here's hoping that they continue to find their way through adversity and team weaknesses to a season that makes us all proud. Go SU!!!

As much b!tching as you guys do about the team... just kidding :p doesn't it feel good to pick apart the team at 2-0 compared to 0-2. I'm not defending the coaching staff when I say that, saying it specifically as a fan. It feels good to be critical of the team when your winning (albeit it a little uglier then we would like) and discussing 6 - 8 wins compared to hoping that the next game is your first win, or keeps your head above water by keeping you around .500

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom