All Current Open OC Positions | Syracusefan.com

All Current Open OC Positions

JJReddawg

All Conference
Hopefully we can get the (right) hire made sooner rather than later, as all these teams (and more to come) will be making OC hires as well:

Akron
Colorado
Duke
FIU
Florida
Fresno State
Georgia Southern
Georgia Tech
Indiana
LSU
Louisiana Tech
Miami
Minnesota
Nebraska
New Mexico State
Old Dominion
Oklahoma
SMU
Temple
TCU
Troy
UMass
USC
Virginia Tech
Washington
Washington State

Hopefully DB already has his target dialed in and that person is putting their staff together before announcing anything.

Hopefully we can get the (right) hire made sooner rather than later, as all these teams (and more to come) will be making OC hires as well:

Akron
Colorado
Duke
FIU
Florida
Fresno State
Georgia Southern
Georgia Tech
Indiana
LSU
Louisiana Tech
Miami
Minnesota
Nebraska
New Mexico State
Old Dominion
Oklahoma
SMU
Temple
TCU
Troy
UMass
USC
Virginia Tech
Washington
Washington State
Hopefully. Comparing a career in the private sector with coaching positions; you usually have your next position lined up well before revealing that you are leaving, secure in the fact that you have done your homework and chosen the right position.

In coaching it's the same but sometimes you rely on past relationships and coaches you have met along the way for advice or to accept or reject your offer.

I looked up all the coaches noted in the post about future staff and Dino has relationships with two of them. There is disparity in the age and experience of the coaches and the fact that some have matured from playing the game from high school. They are all successful but my eyes concentrated on Barry Lunney as the most experienced. Here's an example of what he did as a player for Arkansas:

"As a player for the Razorbacks, Lunney lettered from 1992-95, starting 40 games at quarterback, and was a team captain on the 1995 team that played in the SEC Championship Game for the first time in school history. In his first game as the starting quarterback, he led Arkansas to an upset win at No. 4 Tennessee. He left Arkansas holding school career records for passing yards, passing touchdowns, pass completions, pass attempts and total offensive plays. Lunney also played baseball at Arkansas. He was drafted by the Montreal Expos out of high school in 1992 and by the Minnesota Twins in 1996 and played one season of minor league baseball in the Twins organization." Perhaps too experienced to take a new position with us. His resume is loaded with great work.

Kittley worked with Patrick Mahomes for 3 yrs at Texas Tech and is another experienced OC and QB coach but maybe too expensive and just hired at Western Kentucky a year ago.

Andrew Sowder has the most direct conections with Babers. "Prior to Texas, Sowder spent four seasons alongside Kent State head coach Sean Lewis at Bowling Green (2014-15) and Eastern Illinois (2012-13) under Dino Babers." He's the youngest of the coaches listed and Dino would be raiding Lewis cupboard, don't know whether Dino would want to do that.

There are many OC'/QB coaches out there and available. Wonder if Dino can choose the right man this time?

Should we just make the OL Coach Offensive Coordinator...We are a run heavy team...Maybe the OC/OL coach with a young QB coach could work...Could free up room for us to hire the 65 year old guy who sits behind me in the nose bleeds on a discount to run Special Teams.

Should we just make the OL Coach Offensive Coordinator...We are a run heavy team...Maybe the OC/OL coach with a young QB coach could work...Could free up room for us to hire the 65 year old guy who sits behind me in the nose bleeds on a discount to run Special Teams.
I think a goal is to not be such a run heavy team.

Being able to run the ball is great. But not at the expense of passing for less than 100 yards, which we had in a key 3 game stretch.

I wish every game could have been like the Virginia Tech game. On offense anyway.

Interesting thought. The OL coach might be the most realistic at knowing what the team actually can do versus what is hoped the team might be able to do. Obviously he can't be blind to the skill positions, but unless he is delusional, he might realize the need to, say, have designed rollouts to buy the QB time instead of hoping a pocket lasts long enough for routes to develop.

Interesting thought. The OL coach might be the most realistic at knowing what the team actually can do versus what is hoped the team might be able to do. Obviously he can't be blind to the skill positions, but unless he is delusional, he might realize the need to, say, have designed rollouts to buy the QB time instead of hoping a pocket lasts long enough for routes to develop.
I agree with you that there should be designed rollouts but that's a fairly basic play in anyones system.
Hopefully the offensive line will be good enough to protect the QB so he can step back from center then step up to throw because he's protected.

The OL coach is involved with coaching the players and developing them. The OC is woking during the week with the head coach reviewing film of the opposing team to develop a game plan that will hopefully work and produce yards on the ground and in the air. I know you know this, but think the OL and OC are two distinct positions within a football team with different responsibilities.

The OC is working with the offensive players and primarily the QB. I think he has too much in front of him to be concerned with the Line players.

Last edited:
Maybe Co-OC, but not OC.

Akron
Colorado
Duke
FIU
Florida
Fresno State
Georgia Southern
Georgia Tech
Indiana
LSU
Louisiana Tech
Miami
Minnesota
Nebraska
New Mexico State
Old Dominion
Oklahoma
SMU
Temple
TCU
Troy
UMass
USC
Virginia Tech
Washington
Washington State
Curious what offensive-minded head coaches are getting fired we could pick from. I’d love an OC that’s been a HC before at any D1 level (not to replace Dino.)

Washington State is hiring the OC from Incarnate Word who lost 49-42 to Sam Houston State in the FCS playoffs today. Dino needs to hire Ryan Carty from Sam Houston. Now. I command it

Edit: I just sent Wildhack an email about Carty. You can thank me later if we hire him

Last edited:
yeah, If we could get like Western Kentucky's OC/QB coach, or UTSA O-coordinator that would be something...I love schmidt though
Yeah, let's see Dino or anyone pluck this guy from WKY.

"WKU announced the hiring of Zach Kittley as the team's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Dec. 14, 2020. One of the great young minds in the game, Kittley helped coach NFL MVP and Super Bowl Champion Patrick Mahomes for three years at Texas Tech, and most recently turned Houston Baptist into one of the most prolific passing offenses in college football.

With Kittley as offensive coordinator over the past three seasons, WKY quarterback Bailey Zappe has a 61.9% completion rate and averaged 313.2 yards per game, with 73 touchdowns and 29 interceptions."

Yeah, let's see Dino or anyone pluck this guy from WKY.

"WKU announced the hiring of Zach Kittley as the team's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Dec. 14, 2020. One of the great young minds in the game, Kittley helped coach NFL MVP and Super Bowl Champion Patrick Mahomes for three years at Texas Tech, and most recently turned Houston Baptist into one of the most prolific passing offenses in college football.

With Kittley as offensive coordinator over the past three seasons, WKY quarterback Bailey Zappe has a 61.9% completion rate and averaged 313.2 yards per game, with 73 touchdowns and 29 interceptions."
Sounds like Zach is going to Texas Tech..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom