All I have to say after today's performance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

All I have to say after today's performance

who teaches tackling in practice?

The D was on the field for a long time, the tackling went downhill as the game went on, this is not a big surprise. It's almost as if people have never played football and don't understand how the game changes as players get tired.

The D was on the field for a long time, the tackling went downhill as the game went on, this is not a big surprise. It's almost as if people have never played football and don't understand how the game changes as players get tired.
ya mean the 2 hour delay tired us out more?

what do they know? ;)

Here's my take--we were playing against the #2 team in the country, against a QB who might be the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft and two WRs who are top 10 caliber. They have more speed / talent than we do. And yet, we more than held our own.

Was there some flawed execution? Sure. Were there some coaching decisions that are questionable [for me, not going for it on 4th and 7 in the first half, then "settling" for an 11 yard punt was the move that I objected to most]? Sure.

But this team hung with the #2 team in the country. And if not for a turnover and a big play, who knows? If maybe we play a little better offensively in the first half, who knows? If we don't turn the ball over to start the second half and give them a TD, who knows?

What I DO know is that it was exciting as hell when we cut the score to 21-16, then stuffed them and got the ball back. I am CONVINCED that this is the best team we've had in more than a decade, and that they are only going to improve on both sides of the ball as the season goes on.

People who are indignant about today's loss [not saying you, just in general on this forum] are foolish, because we were playing against #2 and accorded ourselves well. Disappointed by the loss? Sure. Holding a bonfire to demand the HC be fired? Lunacy--as the rest of this season will demonstrate.

Jesus christ--think of how bad our roster was a few years ago--small, slow, unathletic. If Marrone could turn that around while our program was at it's lowest point, just imagine what things are going to be like on the recruiting trail when we string together a couple of bowl appearances. And that starts this year--book it.

I know what you mean--I am livid about being 0-2, but it is hard not to feel excited about what this team can accomplish the rest of the season.

The OL transformation has been eye-popping-ly shocking. And our offense is going to win a LOT of games this year. Again, not happy about being 0-2 and I don't take any solace in moral victories at this point, but it is impossible for me to be down on this team or these players given what I've seen the last two weeks.
I agree. I think EVERY facet of our game has been much improved with the lone exception of special teams. We fix that up and we are going to be special (despite our 0-2 start).

agreed RF

all I am saying is:

the talent is there ... if we win less than 7 games it is on the staff completely

they have upgraded us back to D1 level

now we have no excuses based on the first two weeks to not be competing for the Big East title considering the competition we will face moving forward

agreed RF

all I am saying is:

the talent is there ... if we win less than 7 games it is on the staff completely

they have upgraded us back to D1 level

now we have no excuses based on the first two weeks to not be competing for the Big East title considering the competition we will face moving forward

I agree with that. I predicted 8 wins before the season [including a "W" over NW]. That was a missed opportunity--no question. But there is no reason we can't get 7 wins. But the bigger consideration is bowl eligibility--not an arbitrary win total. 6 wins--and bowl eligibility--is well within this team's potential.

The only question is: how much can this team improve, and will they beat any teams that we're not expecting them to? Because based upon what I've seen, any game left on the schedule is completely winnable.

The staff put the players in position they cannot make tackles for them. Shamarko should have had Woods for a 4 yard gain on the reverse.

I thought same thing when it happened, Shamarko, one of our best tacklers couldn't at least slow him down quite a bit. ...and few teams even have one player like him let alone two. These two are top ten draft picks and they had to use them all day on us because they had to to beat us. That opened up their running game, but I'm pretty happy with today's performance. With that good of a performance, I wish we could have shocked the world. We have a team that can compete for the Big East, if we don't I'm still renewing my season tickets. We're heading in the right direction, faster than I thought Doug could do it, we'll be in a pretty good place an the sun will shine tomorrow (okay, maybe not until Thursday, I just read the weather report for this week.)

i did not blame the players ... i blame the staff ... that wont change any time soon

the players were tremendous and did everything they could

Do you give the staff credit for making those players? because you can't have it both ways.

they recruited them

i commended them for the upgrade

now they need to upgrade their gameday execution

I just love the up tempo offense - keep it up and we will win. I bet we had over 85 offensive plays again - this time against a really good defense!

Pugh will be back - Lemon will be full speed soon - Flemming too. Let's go SU!

It will be interesting to see if Pugh gets back this week [against on paper an easier team], so he can get some snaps under his belt. Would love to have hi back for Minnesota - on for the remainder of the schedule.

It will be interesting to see if Pugh gets back this week [against on paper an easier team], so he can get some snaps under his belt. Would love to have hi back for Minnesota - on for the remainder of the schedule.

I agree. Did anyone catch Big Lou's replacement for the play they showed him on the sidelines? Was it Phillips?

Btw, if Smith is gonna whiff when helping out Lou, I'd rather see PTG or AAM get a shot.

Clean up the tackling and the dropped passes, and we'll have something working. :D

Here's my take--we were playing against the #2 team in the country, against a QB who might be the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft and two WRs who are top 10 caliber. They have more speed / talent than we do. And yet, we more than held our own.

Was there some flawed execution? Sure. Were there some coaching decisions that are questionable [for me, not going for it on 4th and 7 in the first half, then "settling" for an 11 yard punt was the move that I thought was crazy]? Sure.

But this team hung with the #2 team in the country. And if not for a turnover and a big play, who knows? If maybe we play a little better offensively in the first half, who knows? If we don't turn the ball over to start the second half and give them a TD, who knows?

What I DO know is that it was exciting as hell when we cut the score to 21-16, then stuffed them and got the ball back. I am CONVINCED that this is the best team we've had in more than a decade, and that they are only going to improve on both sides of the ball as the season goes on.

People who are indignant about today's loss [not saying you, just in general on this forum] are foolish, because we were playing against #2 and accorded ourselves well. Disappointed by the loss? Sure. Holding a bonfire to demand the HC be fired? Lunacy--as the rest of this season will demonstrate.

Jesus christ--think of how bad our roster was a few years ago--small, slow, unathletic. If Marrone could turn that around while our program was at it's lowest point, just imagine what things are going to be like on the recruiting trail when we string together a couple of bowl appearances. And that starts this year--book it.

No question. Good post. A couple of years ago and we get murdered like Savannah St. SU looked like they belonged and were delivering some blows of their own. This was a win-win personally since I have ties to USC but SU made some positive strides today and towards building towards the future. USC had to work some for this.

The Xavier Grimble TD I'm convinced was fatigue with our secondary. Guys try to bump and hit guys instead of wrapping up when they get tired. The Sharmako play vs Woods on his big gainer in the open field...eh. Woods is going to make most guys miss there. As a whole, I thought the tackling in space was much better.

Not sure yet how I feel about game being in NYC.

Not sure how I like Broyld running the ball. He's isn't any Julio Jones with the afterburners with the ball. I'd like to just see him lined up all sorts of places catching the ball like Aaron Hernandez.

Sales and West are good.

Yep it was Philips - I think same thing happened against NW too. Can't wait for Pugh & Hickey as our two bookends. When Nassib is not pressured, he stops with the happy feet and throws much better. Impressed with Foy btw...

Yep it was Philips - I think same thing happened against NW too. Can't wait for Pugh & Hickey as our two bookends. When Nassib is not pressured, he stops with the happy feet and throws much better. Impressed with Foy btw...

It is pretty amazing how the OL is performing.

I really don't know a ton or specific information about the players on USC, but they are ranked #2 and recruit 5-stars. If we held up today against them--in light of how piss poor the OL has been for a decade--how are they going to perform against the rest of the schedule, when Pugh gets back?

No matter how you slice it, the OL deserves major, major props. Not suggesting that they are "perfect" or that this is a great OL by any means, but the jump in performance is, in a word, amazing.

not rats ... people who understand that poor coaching cost us at least one game

Yeah, because all the good stuff that is obvious happens by itself, coaching has NOTHING to do with it.

Yeah, because all the good stuff that is obvious happens by itself, coaching has NOTHING to do with it.
like missed tackles and poor specials

i commended the staff on upgrading talent

I commend hackett for his play calling this year

there is room for improvement, and we could have won both games

Let the doubters and the haters, kiss my *ss! This is a whole new Syracuse Orange football team!! Today I am a proud SU alumni and fan & can't wait to see how this season develops!! GO ORANGE!

Anybody who doesn't recognize the profound transformation of this program from top to bottom because they disagree with a couple of play calls is a complete and utter moron.

Anybody who doesn't recognize the profound transformation of this program from top to bottom because they disagree with a couple of play calls is a complete and utter moron.
i never questioned the improvements ... i questioned game day decisions

like missed tackles and poor specials

i commended the staff on upgrading talent

I commend hackett for his play calling this year

there is room for improvement, and we could have won both games

If they are bouncing off of guys the rest the year, maybe. There isn't anybody on the rest of the schedule that has a single receiver, TE, or TB that compares who with what they played against today. There were also a tremendous amount of great tackles made today.

They are going to have to make some hard choices about Morris and Macfarland if they are physically ready to go on returns.

Of course there is room for improvement.