All-time BE Basketball team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

All-time BE Basketball team

Douglas - all time assist leader, 2k points, great tournament success, total package.

Hamilton - if he hadn't of gotten hurt the 99 UConn team would have gone undefeated and been considered arguably the greatest ever college basketball team. I still consider them that and he was by far their best player.

Mullen - basketball legend

Owens - check out these stats ... 23.3 pts, 11.6 rebounds, 3.5 ass, 2.4 stls, 1.2 blocks, 52% from 2 and 40% from 3 ... NOBODY puts up stats like that.

Ewing - basketball legend

Back ups I'd probably go with Iverson, Allen, Anthony, Coleman, Mourning.

The Delgado inclusion was so egregious I assumed there had to be some homerism going on

Sure enough-
(The columnist's resume)
DECE5AF4-7E2C-4E64-9758-8E6600B8DD74.jpeg

Sherman was great. That between the legs pass to Stevie should put him on the "Mount Rushmore" of incredible plays, followed by John's pass to Cipolla on the Georgia game.

Delgado was a beast on the boards but c'mon.
Would anyone really take him over Smith?
Or Billy Owens?

Or over that Providence kid who had 8 million rebounds on their good 1994 team? Michael somebody.

Ya, this is silly. There are 30 players more deserving in every way.

I wouldn't put Melo or any other one and done on the list. Too many guys who were too good over multiple years, including many guys who were all first team multiple years, including 7 guys who were first team all Big East three years and 3 players who were 2x BE player of the year (Rip Hamilton, Troy Bell & Troy Murphy) and not named at all. I would think an All Big East list is about what you did while competing in the Big East, not how successful you were thereafter.

Bill Curley (2x)
Craig Smith (2x)
Danya Abrams (3x)
John Bagley (2x)
Troy Bell (3x)
Corny Thompson (2x)
Donyell Marshall (2x)
Emeka Okafor (2x)
Rip Hamilton (2x)
Alonzo Mourning (2x)
Sleepy Floyd (2x)
Mike Sweetney (2x)
Reggie Williams (2x)
Roy Hibbert (2x)
Tim James (2x)
Luke Harangody (3x)
Pat Garrity (2x)
Troy Murphy (2x)
Aaron Gray (2x)
Brian Shorter (2x)
Charles Smith (2x)
Sam Young (2x)
Ryan Gomes (2x)
Terry Dehere (3x)
Malik Sealy (2x)
Mark Jackson (2x)
Marcus Hatten (2x)
Billy Owens (2x)
Gerry Mac (2x)
Hakim Warrick (2x)
John Wallace (2x)
Lawrence Moten (3x)
Preston Shumpert (2x)
Sherman Douglas (3x)
Ed Pickney (2x)
John Pinone (3x)

I am legitimately floored than Marcus Hatten was first-team all-league twice.

Granted, this was probably when the Big East honored 14 guys on the first team, but still, I didn't remember him getting that kind of attention.

(As an aside, this is one of the only things I like about the ACC: a true five-man team for all-league honors.)

Or over that Providence kid who had 8 million rebounds on their good 1994 team? Michael somebody.

Ya, this is silly. There are 30 players more deserving in every way.

Michael Smith.

I think I called him Brian Grant (who went to Xavier)earlier, but I was thinking of Smith. They were both rugged rookie power forwards for the Kings in the same season.

Providence had Eric Williams and Dickey Simpkins at the same time as Smith. 3 NBA players in the front court, all as upperclassmen.