All time SU starting 5 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

All time SU starting 5

Marty might have been the best pure shooter ever at SU. I played a ton of pick up ball with him. Lost track of him hope he is ok.

Might have to go to 4 teams because you need to make room for Hackett, Leo Rautins, Jimmy Lee and Santifer.

My personal watching fandom started in the 90’s.

Flynn
Moten
Melo
Wallace
Etan

Best zone:
MCW
Duany
W. Johnson
Warrick
Fab Melo

Not sure about SG, maybe Battle? I want it to be an actual SG and not just put two PGs up top.

Hot take: our zone was overrated in 2003 because of the Oklahoma game, and we won it all mostly because our offense was elite and balanced.
Definitely had to make a lot of comebacks via the press that year, even during the tournament.

Warrick still delivered the most important defensive play in SU history.

Pearl
Bing
Melo
Owens
Coleman

Sherm
Duval
Wes
Wallace
Seikaly

Sherm
Bing
Melo
Wallace
Coleman

Pearl (put him 2nd because I remember him as a weak shooter, which I think is a bigger deal in the age of the 3 pt. arc)
Moten
Owens
Warrick
Seikaly

Amazing having had so many great players in the program over the years that you do this and leave guys like Jonny Flynn and Michael Carter Williams off the list...plus many more.

Here is my all under rated teams

M Head: How did his parents know?
Jimmy Lee: Poor mans Buddy
Chris Sease: Rocket Man
Red Bruin: He might actually be able to jump higher than Chris
Bob Dooooooommmmmms

Sherm
Bing
Melo
DC
Seikaly

Best zone:
MCW
Duany
W. Johnson
Warrick
Fab Melo

Not sure about SG, maybe Battle? I want it to be an actual SG and not just put two PGs up top.
Triche, most winning player in cuse history

Sherm
Bing
Melo
DC
Seikaly
Suny Binghamton GIF by Binghamton University

Had some time to think about our all time greats.

Based on players that i actually watched or played against this is my all time SU starting 5

PG: Pearl
SG: Dion
SF: Melo
PF: Billy Owens
C. : DC

Second team
PG: Johnny Flynn
SG: Gmac
SF: Moten
PF HW
C. :Rosie

I picked three teams. All the players were judged by Season Stats, all of them from Minutes played to RPG.

None were chosen by popularity. Some positions were difficult due to the lack of defensive ability, not a good three point shooter,etc. but all were chosen by ability at their respective positions.

If you look at the top ten scorers all time at SU - PPG/TPTS: Moten 19.3/2334, Coleman 15.0/ 2143, Wallace 16.7/2119, McNamara 15.5/2099, Warrick 15.4/2073, Douglas 14.9/2060, Thompson 13.9/1956, Shumpert 14.2/1883, Bing 24.8/1883, Addison 14.9/1876, except for Moten and Bing all were reasonably close in PPG. Bing is the exception here as he played only three years and is still the leading scorer per game all time.

I found it very difficult coming up with players at PG, SG, F, PF, C for two teams because all of the best were so evenly matched. Some had tremendous leaping ability like Hakim Warrick, others great rebounding skills like Derrick Coleman with a 10.8 RPG and 1537 Reb total, scoring Moten and Bing and Bing was such a great player and leaper 2with his anticipation of where the ball was going to be off the rim that his total average rebounds per game were 10.3

First Team

PG – Sherman Douglas / Pearl Washington

SG – Lawrence Moten

F - John Wallace

PF - Derrick Coleman

C - Roosevelt Bouie

Second Team

PG – Gerry McNamara

SG – Stevie Thompson

F - Carmelo Anthony*

PF - Hakim Warrick

C - Ronnie Seikaly

Third Team

PG – Dave Bing**

SG - Preson Shumpert

F - Billy Owens***

PF - Rudy Hackett

C - Etan Thomas

It seems like the players here are from the 80's and 90's but that was because there were so many great players wanting to come to SU to play.

• one season, ** three seasons *** had to choose between he and CA
*If you played for only one season you were not considered for the First Team

Resource: orangehoops.org evertyhing SU basketball, any stat any player ever

That I’ve seen in Orange

First Team All-NateW:

Gerry
Dion
Melo
Wallace
Etan

Second Team All-NateW

Scoop
Rautins
Wes
Hak
Fab

Deep Bench:

Moten
Arinze
CJ
Otis Hill
Preston Shumpert

That I have watched:
Douglas
Moten
Anthony
Owens
Coleman(played it his junior year - it counts)

2nd team:
Flynn
Waiters
W. Johnson
Wallace
Etan

If we’re just going with two forwards, I’d go Warrick over Wes. Going SF/PF, then it’s Wes at SF and Wallace in a really tough call over Warrick. I go back and forth on that one. Theyre basically even. Wallace’s senior year tourney run gives him the slight edge.
Wallace over Hak all day imo

Another talking point. And I say this with all due respect to the man (and just to spark convo) ... cuz he’s obviously an all time Orangemen but Johnny Flynn feels overrated to me. Not saying your list in particular but in this thread already and when this topic comes up.

I could be wrong tho.

Also one guy I wanted to put on the list is Todd Burgan. Rewatched the 96 title game, during the pandemic, and he had a great game. He was the second most talented Orangemen on the court that night. Never put it all together tho.

Last edited:
PG - Douglas in a toss up with Washington
SG - Bing not even close
SF - Melo in a toss up with Owens
PF - Coleman easy, but love Wallace too
C - Bouie in a toss up with Seikaly

Had some time to think about our all time greats.

Based on players that i actually watched or played against this is my all time SU starting 5

PG: Pearl
SG: Dion
SF: Melo
PF: Billy Owens
C. : DC

Second team
PG: Johnny Flynn
SG: Gmac
SF: Moten
PF HW
C. :Rosie

During my fandom, by position:

Seikaly
Coleman
Anthony
Sherman
Moten (although I kind of wanna go Rautins)

Biggest weaknesses:

Sherm for Pearl, but NCAA all time leading assist leader and alley-pop master is hard to pass up

Moten at the 2 was not a great shooter, but BE all-time scorer.

No John Wallace, but can’t argue DC and Melo. If not so positional, exchange Wallace do Seikaly.

Had a different all zone all the time line-up come to me.
Seikaly, DC and Melo on the baseline, with Owens and Leo Rautins up top.

Go ahead, try to score.

Here is my all under rated teams

M Head: How did his parents know?
Jimmy Lee: Poor mans Buddy
Chris Sease: Rocket Man
Red Bruin: He might actually be able to jump higher than Chris
Bob Dooooooommmmmms
Those were some of the guys that started my SU sports obsession. Mostly via radio on WSYR listening to Joel Mareiniss and Dave Cohen and the Knicks and Marv Albert on (I think) WNBC. My 5 are...

Sherm
Bing
Melo
Derrick Coleman
Bouie

2nd

McNamara
Stevie Thompson
Warrick
Hackett
Schayes

Last edited: