Allman Brothers Band - August 30, 1994 Syracuse, N.Y. | Syracusefan.com

Allman Brothers Band - August 30, 1994 Syracuse, N.Y.

I saw them at Weedsport in 1992. Just finished reading a biography of the band. Heavy stuff.

Anyone remember the '73 concert with them and the Dead at Watkins Glen? I'm not old enough to remember but have heard many stories of the skydiving incident. One of my dads best friends jumped with his instructor (who died). They all had flares tied to their boots and his ignited a fire on his clothes.

Anyone remember the '73 concert with them and the Dead at Watkins Glen? I'm not old enough to remember but have heard many stories of the skydiving incident. One of my dads best friends jumped with his instructor (who died). They all had flares tied to their boots and his ignited a fire on his clothes.

I only vaguely remember the incident because I was only 5. But his (the one who died) parents were wonderful people. My family had come over from Europe, and fell into extreme hard times. His folks basically bought us a house in Syracuse, and a car, until we got onto our feet. My father paid them back quickly. His mom would often visit the house with a "yoo hoo!" and a huge bowl of spaghetti.

When did Dicky Betts get kicked out? I was in my show going hay day at this point. I was at this show for sure. Phish, Allmans, Panic, couldn't get enough. Haven't see Phish in 10-12 years but when they were playing places like the Smith Opera House in Geneva, etc they were just tearing it up. I have some buddies that are still diehards, I just lost interest a while back, still love the music but I don't like huge venues

When they had Gregg, Jamo, Butch Trucks, Dicky Betts and warren all getting after they were just ridiculous. Don't know how long that Allman Bros version was together. Just great stuff

I only vaguely remember the incident because I was only 5. But his (the one who died) parents were wonderful people. My family had come over from Europe, and fell into extreme hard times. His folks basically bought us a house in Syracuse, and a car, until we got onto our feet. My father paid them back quickly. His mom would often visit the house with a "yoo hoo!" and a huge bowl of spaghetti.
So this is what I got from my dad; Bill Smith was the guy who died (Smitty). He was an instructor and nationally ranked skydiver. There were 5 people total that jumped but not all at the same time. My dad went to the Camillus airport to pick up a different friend than the one of his who jumped, who was just on the plane for the ride. They had to hurry up and pick him up and leave as to avoid the NYS police who were arriving to question the pilot. Everyone who jumped was illegal. Bogus/forged paperwork. The pilot had no clue.

Thanks.

Whoops. Broken link. Was trying to link a memoir on Ducks.org by someone named Garr who trained with him.