Alma Mater - Post Game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Alma Mater - Post Game

I don't even watch that game honestly. I think its overhyped.
Yes. Absolutely a trend. I'm more about the football than the pomp.
Because you don’t, you don’t get to see both teams stand in front of each other’s corp to listen to the respective “alma mater”. First the loser, then the winner. Magic moment, in a game that you belittle as overhyped. Unlike a Syracuse game, many of the players in the games between the academies will be killed or wounded defending your privilege to not watch “overhyped” games

I love Syracuse football but if anyone thought this team was an orange bowl team, they're borderline delusional. They got incredibly lucky to win against Purdue/UVA and are very banged up, not having quality depth, which will undoubtedly get worse as the season goes on. They're going bowling and I'm satisfied with that accomplishment. Does that mean I want them to roll over and quit on the season? No way, but they're already overachieving based on recent history.
No disrespect but you are absolutely wrong. To call those delusional who believe that is the case just tells me you don’t know much about football. It’s understandable though to have that loser mentality engrained in your perception.

Let me break it down for you. All a sudden 7-1 UNC has the inside road for the Orange bowl. Here are their seaso results.

W App St 63-61
W Georgia St 35-28
W Duke 38-35
W Miami 24-21
L ND 35-24

Their big win is Pitt. Who cares? Still have to play at Wake and NC St.

Back to Syracuse. Last year we lost 3 straight games to Clemson, FSU, and Wake by 3 points all because of non-physical errors, but more game management issues. Those were arguably 2 of the best teams and a very good one in FSU. We played them all basically to the point where either team could have won. Let’s say we just won 2 of those. All a sudden we’re 7-5 going to a bowl. Maybe we win that bowl game and end the season 8-5.

Try to stay with me now. All a sudden we have multiple 2022 NFL draft picks on both sides of the ball coming back, not to mention an all-American RB, and numerous all-league players (from a 5-7 team). There is a possibility we start the season in the top 25, or just outside.

Now we know we need to make improvements coming into 2022.
- OC Gilbert was a disaster and held the 2021 team back. What do they do? Go out and get a home run hire in Anae who we’ve already seen work wonders with QB’s similar to Shrader, and his QB coach Beck comes with him. Syracuse suddenly may have the best set of O/D coordinators in the league. Shrader comes out looking like a different person and ends up on the Davey O’Brien watch list for best QB’s in country .

- Now do you want to talk defense. Syracuse has the top scoring defense in the ACC, and are a consensus top 3 defense in league.

- ST’s? Hell even our 2018 Groza award winner for best kicker in the country is back to his old self.

- The other thing I don’t get is sh!tt!ng on our schedule. There is no luck in football. If we have to suffer those 3 losses from last year where we played good enough to win I don’t want to hear about beating a very good Purdue team who has a chance to win their division. I don’t care we handled an NCST team who had an injured QB. Look how many starters we’re missing. That’s football. Even Louisville who we smashed 31-7 when we were close to our healthiest all a sudden looks like a really good team who just demolished Wake.

- Let’s take a look at our losses. We made Clemson’s star QB look so bad he got benched . We were running all over them and moving the ball in the first half until Shrader got injured and could no longer carry the ball and they sold out on Tucker on the RPO. Even still we led Clemson in the 4th qtr 21-10 when we should have got the ball back until 1 of the most egregious unnecessary roughness calls was made allowing cleMson to keep the ball. They needed 2 other game changing BS calls that were just enough to give them a win.

- That leaves ND with a game it was obvious we were still suffering the mental effects from Clemson. Even still , with a back up QB we scrapped and had the ball down 7 in the 4th. We fell short . It’s an OOC loss. If we’re going to have a loss that’s it.

So to sum all this up Syracuse was 6-0 with W’ vs Purdue, Louisville, NCST and we just went toe to toe @ #4 Clemson, and toe to toe with a talented ND team who was tied with Ohio St in the 4th and beat UNC 35-24.

I won’t even mention the all-league players Stefon Thompson and Chris Elmore we lost for the year in the very 1 game, or Isaiah Jones who was looking like he was going to be our legit #2 WR behind a true #1 in Orange Gadsen. Or how about our best Dlineman in Terry Lockett, and future NFL draft pick Garrett Williams, who missed the Clemson game, along with our QB Garrett Shrader who gutted it through the 1st half, but couldn't finish the game.

You might not have noticed, or not paid attention, but this program has stocked up on legit all league and NFL talent to go along with one of the best combo of coordinators in the conference. Just because you are used to not seeing it happen doesn't mean this team
hasn't proved it on the field. With a better health situation I would say there is absolutely no reason this wasn't an Orange bowl contender. As is now, if Shrader is healthy, and they can mentally move past these last 2 weeks, they still have a chance to make it as the 3rd highest ranked team by the CFP committee.

Dont you understand it isnt about the song.
If it’s not about the song, replace the song. We have a perfectly good fight song. Or how about something by Lou Reed, Vanessa Williams, or Pete Yorn?

No disrespect but you are absolutely wrong. To call those delusional who believe that is the case just tells me you don’t know much about football. It’s understandable though to have that loser mentality engrained in your perception.

Let me break it down for you. All a sudden 7-1 UNC has the inside road for the Orange bowl. Here are their seaso results.

W App St 63-61
W Georgia St 35-28
W Duke 38-35
W Miami 24-21
L ND 35-24

Back to Syracuse. Last year we lost 3 straight games to Clemson, FSU, and Wake by 3 points all because of non-physical errors, but more game management issues. Those were arguably 2 of the best teams and a very good one in FSU. We played them all basically to the point where either team could have won. Let’s say we just won 2 of those. All a sudden we’re 7-5 going to a bowl. Maybe we win that bowl game and end the season 8-5.

Try to stay with me now. All a sudden we have multiple 2022 NFL draft picks on both sides of the ball coming back, not to mention an all-American RB, and numerous all-league players (from a 5-7 team). There is a possibility we start the season in the top 25, or just outside.

- OC Gilbert was a disaster and held the 2021 team back. What do they do? Go out and get a home run hire in Anae who we’ve already seen work wonders with QB’s similar to Shrader, and his QB coach Beck comes with him. Syracuse suddenly may have the best set of O/D coordinators in the league. Shrader comes out looking like a different person and ends up on the Davey O’Brien watch list for best QB’s in country .

- Now do you want to talk defense. Syracuse has the top scoring defense in the ACC, and are a consensus top 3 defense in league.

- ST’s? Hell even our 2018 Groza award winner for best kicker in the country is back to his old self.

- The other thing I don’t get is sh!tt!ng on our schedule. There is no luck in football. If we have to suffer those 3 losses from last year where we played good enough to win I don’t want to hear about beating a very good Purdue team who has a chance to win their division. I don’t care we handled an NCST team who had an injured QB. Look how many starters we’re missing. That’s football. Even Louisville who we smashed 31-7 when we were close to our healthiest all a sudden looks like a really good team who just demolished Wake.

- Let’s take a look at our losses. We made Clemson’s star QB look so bad he got benched . We were running all over them and moving the ball in the first half until Shrader got injured and could no longer carry the ball and they sold out on Tucker on the RPO. Even still we led Clemson in the 4th qtr 21-10 when we should have got the ball back until 1 of the most egregious unnecessary roughness calls was made allowing cleMson to keep the ball. They needed 2 other game changing BS calls that were just enough to give them a win.

- That leaves ND with a game it was obvious we were still suffering the mental effects from Clemson. Even still , with a back up QB we scrapped and had the ball down 7 in the 4th. We fell short . It’s an OOC loss. If we’re going to have a loss that’s it.

So to sum all this up Syracuse was 6-0 with W’ vs Purdue, Louisville, NCST and we just went toe to toe @ #4 Clemson, and toe to toe with a talented ND team who was tied with Ohio St in the 4th and beat UNC 35-24.

I won’t even mention the all-league players Stefon Thompson and Chris Elmore we lost for the year in the very 1 game, or Isaiah Jones who was looking like he was going to be our legit #2 WR behind a true #1 in Orange Gadsen. Or how about our best Dlineman in Terry Lockett, and future NFL draft pick Garrett Williams, who missed the Clemson game, along with our QB Garrett Shrader who gutted it through the 1st half, but couldn't finish the game.

You might not have noticed, or not paid attention, but this program has stocked up on legit all league and NFL talent to go along with one of the best combo of coordinators in the conference. Just because you are used to not seeing it happen doesn't mean this team
hasn't proved it on the field. With a better health situation I would say there is absolutely no reason this wasn't an Orange bowl contender. As is now, if Shrader is healthy, and they can mentally move past these last 2 weeks, they still have a chance to make it as the 3rd highest ranked team by the CFP committee.

While I appreciate your passion in your write up about why I'm wrong, there's a significant amount of what ifs used to prop up your point rather than facts. Bottom line is that you are what your record is, especially with last year's team.

First, if I had to choose a path to an orange bowl berth at this point in the season, I'm taking UNC over Syracuse. Do I think UNC has a better resume at this point? Hell no, but they'll have more wins when the season comes to a conclusion. UNC is trending up, while Syracuse is trending down. If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat crow, I just don't see it.

Next, to say there's no luck in football is patently false. Anybody who understands football, watches the last couple minutes of the Purdue game recognizes that Syracuse had no business winning that game. Once again, not trying to crap on this team, just recognizing the reality of the situation. Wins like that aren't sustainable for long term success for the season.

Luck was also a huge reason Syracuse was even in the game against Clemson. Turnovers are largely luck driven and turnovers are the only reason Syracuse was in the game in the first place. Even with the turnovers, Clemson dominated Syracuse. Almost 300 yards rushing for Clemson. Gross.

I also find it odd that you claim success with Purdue without acknowledging how officiating had a clear influence on the outcome and then complain about officiating with the Clemson loss. Can't have it both ways, or you can to push your narrative.

We can agree to disagree about the ND game. Syracuse's mental errors that didn't cost them wins against UVA and Purdue caught up with them and they got bullied from the start due to the lack of depth on the DL. Once again, almost 250 yards rushing. Gross.

Here's my concern moving forward: If Syracuse's DL/QB groups don't grow up real fast, it's going to be a long November (outside BC). Teams are going to pound the rock against Syracuse and it doesn't seem like they can stop it (almost 550 yards in two games). And guess what, Pitt and FSU are some of the better rushing teams in the conference. Syracuse also doesn't have the QB health/experience to score points to force teams to throw the ball more.

You also talk crap about UNC in the beginning and then praise them in the end. Are the good or are they not?

You also appear to miss my point about the injuries. Injuries are a HUGE reason this team isn't contending for an orange bowl berth. The defense is decimated currently. Having a former, undersized walk on taking all the snaps at nose is unsustainable, regardless of how much a complete ANIMAL he is.

I'll finish with this:

I HOPE I'M SO WRONG WITH WHAT I'M SEEING!!!

Syracuse has got a chance to shut me up by beating Pitt.

EAT S*** PITT!!!

I don't think the song dictates that. But again, I may be in the minority. I don't even recall staying for that song as a student. But I respect the opinion of those who like it.

And yes I like those days.
It is important to honor those who paid the “ultimate sacrifice” for Syracuse University.

If it’s not about the song, replace the song. We have a perfectly good fight song. Or how about something by Lou Reed, Vanessa Williams, or Pete Yorn?
Im good with Lou

Our song was written in 1893. 94 years later someone made a movie about dancing and baby making at a corny 1950s summer resort, and our song was apparently ruined for people.

W App St 63-61
W Georgia St 35-28
W Duke 38-35
W Miami 24-21
L ND 35-24

OK, I'm back in on the Orange Bowl train after reading that. Can we pleeeeeaseee beat a very average Pitt Team this weekend and get our mojo back.

Because you don’t, you don’t get to see both teams stand in front of each other’s corp to listen to the respective “alma mater”. First the loser, then the winner. Magic moment, in a game that you belittle as overhyped. Unlike a Syracuse game, many of the players in the games between the academies will be killed or wounded defending your privilege to not watch “overhyped” games
Just a little bit of hyperbole on the death and wounded part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom