Almost a carbon copy of UConn game | Syracusefan.com

Almost a carbon copy of UConn game

HRE Otto IV

All American
It was almost the same game on both O and D. And there isn't much separating the two teams.

The difference was that against UConn we were able to throw it down the field the first two drives. Because of the weather we were not able to against Wake. Still doesn't excuse the play calling in either game. The UConn game it felt like we were wasting a chance to put it away, thinking how in the hell are we still winning. The play calling kept UConn in the game that day. The Wake game it was how in the hell are we still in this.

I get wanting to stay true to the O but when you have a chance to win a game or two you need to go with what is working that game. The kids aren't learning anything by going 3 and out. You cannot only be aggressive the first two drives each game and then late in the 4th when it is too late. Also if something isn't working, it is a little concerning to keep going back to it over and over. That is simply bad coaching. Sure the play with the right talent might be the right call, but if your current talent cannot execute it then the play is the wrong call. I want Babers to run his system, but use plays within the system that we can execute.

Yesterday was a game where Ismail, Estime, and Philips should have done damage underneath. I understand ET not getting the ball because he is a down the field guy. Did we even throw a single pass to Philips? How does that happen? And why go away from Cam when it was working? They were giving up 385 yards passing a game how the heck were they able to "blanket" our receivers all of a sudden? And why was Wake able to take a few shots down the field but we didn't throw a single one?

I get that they often had only 5 in the box. But when you only run straight up the middle, one could defend that with 3 players. It isn't a mismatch. Why do we never run it to the edge to keep the D honest? Or at least use the short pass as an extension of the run? If all a team needs to do is show a pass D to take us out of our game, it will be a long 3 years. Also where has the full backfield been since Colgate? It is in the O. How about trying that if you are only getting 2 ypc every game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom