Alrighty sports fans, who's going to be the other starting guard | Syracusefan.com

Alrighty sports fans, who's going to be the other starting guard

Who starts alongside JJ at guard?

• Total voters

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Alrighty sports fans, J.J. is set in stone as a starting guard so who's going to start next to him?

Cuffe seems to have worked his way back from injury.

Westry was the highest rated coming out of highschool but hasn't yet been that guy in college.

Carlos is the most pure point guard we've had in a while and is a veteran player.

Taylor is the most accomplished 3 point shooter.

Moore is intriguing but we'll already start one freshman in Freeman and having two starting freshman seems incongruous with the off-season emphasis on adding veteran players. Also I couldn't figure out how to have more than 4 selection options, which bums me out because we're also missing "poll choice."

Who ya got? And why?

Last edited:
I chose Carlos just because he is a pure point and the most experienced player. I think when he comes out of the game J.J. moves to the point and Taylor slides to the 2 as the shooter off the bench.

By all accounts Westry is just back to full health so I don’t expect more than 10-15 mpg from him early this season.

If it's JC, does that mean JJ is cool playing off ball? All good if that's the case, but that doesn't seem like the path for him if he's looking to get to the league. He has to show something as a lead.

But I guess that's not our problem. We just need Ws.

I'm actually less concerned with who starts, but who is in the rotation. There are just too many guys to all get burn. Got to get the rotation locked in early.

I'm judging all this against my benchmark of just getting into the dance.

Btw I'm not surprised Carlos is leading, but am surprised he's running away with the poll. Thought Westry would have more votes.

I think Lucas Taylor for two reasons:

1) Red is going to give Starling his shot at point guard. Especially during the early season, Starling getting used to playing point helps the team, helps the player demonstrate those skills, and probably fulfills a recruiting promise. If he isn't good, Carlos is always ready, and committed expecting to be off the bench anyway.

2) Taylor is a versatile player who also can handle the ball, but clearly not a point guard. Taylor doesn't take the pg role from Starling, but can help him. Considering the timing of his commitment and his history, I think Taylor was given a soft promise he'd have a chance to start next to Starling. Again, if it's not working there are lots of options coming out of the first timeout.

I think Carlos gets a lot of time, but Starling gets his shot to be PG next to Lucas Taylor... At least to start the season.

My dream is Westry grabs hold of the position by the start of the conference season and never lets go.

Last edited:

1) Red is going to give Starling his shot at point guard. Especially during the early season, Starling getting used to playing point helps the team, helps the player demonstrate those skills, and probably fulfills a recruiting promise. If he isn't good, Carlos is always ready, and committed expecting to be off the bench anyway.

2) Taylor is a versatile player who also can handle the ball, but clearly not a point guard. He didn't take the roll from Starling, but can help him. Considering the timing of his commitment and his history, I think Taylor was given a soft promise he'd have a chance to start next to Starling. Again, if it's not working there are lots of options coming out of the first timeout.

I think Carlos gets a lot of time, but Starling gets his shot to be PG next to Lucas Taylor... At least to start the season.

My dream is Westry grabs hold of the position by the start of the conference season and never lets go.
I think I agree with all of this. These are pretty much exactly my thoughts.

2) Taylor is a versatile player who also can handle the ball, but clearly not a point guard. He didn't take the roll from Starling, but can help him. Considering the timing of his commitment and his history, I think Taylor was given a soft promise he'd have a chance to start next to Starling. Again, if it's not working there are lots of options coming out of the first timeout.

Yeah I think of it very similarly. The lineup was set to be JJ and Leffew. They didn't pick Carlos up to start him. Could he play into a starter role? Absolutely...and frankly, I hope so.

Taylor is the best defensive player on the squad. That isn't my opinion by the way.
I'm guessing this is the opinion of the coaching staff... Which, in my opinion, confirms my earlier thoughts that Lucas Taylor is going to probably be the fifth starter.

Looking at his stats, including his advanced stats, he went from a insanely bad -8.7 PER as a freshman at Wake Forest (in only 46 total minutes) to a modestly bad 5 PER as a sophomore, to a really solid 13.1 as a junior at Georgia State.

I'm guessing BPM counts strength of competition more aggressively than PER, because he was a -2.5 BPM his second year at Wake, with a positive .8 dBPM, which is pretty good defensively. But playing much better at Georgia State, Taylor's BPM gets substantially worse. Lol

There isn't a lot to tease out of the advanced stats other than that positive dBPM two years ago. He looks like a solid but unexceptional all around player. His video looks that way to me as well.

We'll have to use the eye test of the people that matter... The coaches.

If he's really good defensively, that will help the team a lot.

I'm guessing this is the opinion of the coaching staff... Which, in my opinion, confirms my earlier thoughts that Lucas Taylor is going to probably be the fifth starter.

Looking at his stats, including his advanced stats, he went from a insanely bad -8.7 PER as a freshman at Wake Forest (in only 46 total minutes) to a modestly bad 5 PER as a sophomore, to a really solid 13.1 as a junior at Georgia State.

I'm guessing BPM counts strength of competition more aggressively than PER, because he was a -2.5 BPM his second year at Wake, with a positive .8 dBPM, which is pretty good defensively. But playing much better at Georgia State, Taylor's BPM gets substantially worse. Lol

There isn't a lot to tease out of the advanced stats other than that positive dBPM two years ago. He looks like a solid but unexceptional all around player. His video looks that way to me as well.

We'll have to use the eye test of the people that matter... The coaches.

If he's really good defensively, that will help the team a lot.

Or “he’s the best defensive player so we have to start him” is the new “we have to start him for spacing”

As you said, he might very well be. It would be fantastic to have a good defender in the backcourt.

I don't see why JJ can't drastically improve his defense. He has good size and athleticism for a sg. A lot of his issues involved positioning, and almost fear of contact or fouling. Hoping he is better this season. Not counting on it, just hoping.

I don't see why JJ can't drastically improve his defense. He has good size and athleticism for a sg. A lot of his issues involved positioning, and almost fear of contact or fouling. Hoping he is better this season. Not counting on it, just hoping.
I’m not sure what he’s missing can be taught. He appears to lack the fight and awareness on that end. 75% of defense is what he’s missing. I’d rather have someone a bit less athletic with a better motor than what he offered last season.

This roster could really use a versatile 4/5 that steals a couple of possessions every game and bangs with bigger dudes on the boards. Would make up for some of the deficiencies on that end.