Am I the only one who noticed... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Am I the only one who noticed...

I feel like Triche has been consistently the biggest lightning rod on this board for four years now.

I've been in the somewhat anti Triche camp more than anything else. I think this pretty much sums it up for me

but to clarify things for the masses here. i didnt say triche sucked. i said he is not very good. you people that are expecting this huge jump from him, as you do every year, are bound to be disappointed.

Triche, to me, is a perfectly fine player. You can wins lots of games with him in your lineup. (the last 3 years are an indication of this). But he's nothing special as a player and I doubt he's going to be a star this year. He'll be solid, and I'm assuming his raw numbers will be up because he's going to get more minutes, but if he is our best player, I think this season will be disappointing.

I feel like Triche has been consistently the biggest lightning rod on this board for four years now.

I've been in the somewhat anti Triche camp more than anything else. I think this pretty much sums it up for me

Triche, to me, is a perfectly fine player. You can wins lots of games with him in your lineup. (the last 3 years are an indication of this). But he's nothing special as a player and I doubt he's going to be a star this year. He'll be solid, and I'm assuming his raw numbers will be up because he's going to get more minutes, but if he is our best player, I think this season will be disappointing.

Triche is a program guy and program guys are the glue of our system! He's not a one and gone or two and done which is most often the case here at SU, I expect him to make the same incremental jumps that other program guys have made before him (andy, Kris Jo, Scoop, etc). Those jumps are generally more a result of experience than improvement in basketball skill, which has as much value as talent and when things are going wrong experience is more valuable. For some reason Triche is criticized for what others have been praised for and I don't get why. Andy went games his senior year where he didn't score played great defense and nobody ripped him for deferring to his teammates. Triche was probably our best player verse Ohio St. in the elite 8 lead the team in scoring and people are ripping him for his play in 36pt exhibition game win! Seriously people!....

Good post, but I can't see how the San Diego carrier game will clarify much of anything; if only because of all the unique factors of that game. Maybe a few games after that.

I'm hoping Triche follows a sort of Lazarus Sims course (who became really efficient in his senior year, although he was probably a more talented ball handler prior to that).

@Arkansas will clarify things. BIG test for our guards.

But we've been snubbed!! It's the best backcourt in the BE! I agree with all of this. There is some mild reason for concern if Triche dosn't handle the ball better and make better decisions. I like MCW so far and it is early but he too seemed very deliberate bringing the ball up. Maybe he's just long strided and not that 'quick.' Or maybe I'm wrong. Guys like Shaun Livingston, Kevin Martin, etc. seemed quicker/faster, imo. This game @Arkansas will be a huge test for whoever plays PG at the time and to see if we'll be able to get dribble penetration like you mentioned.

Neither seems quick getting the ball upcourt - we were so sloooooooow off missed shots. Haven't re-watched the game, not sure if our forwards weren't leaking out, the guards weren't moving, or some combination, but the quickness doesn't seem to be there.

Re: interior defense, based on one game, Keita looks great, Coleman/Christmas gave up a number of layups. Soft is the word I'd use.

And Triche looked unimproved; careless and indecisive. It's one game. We'll see what he does from here.

good observation. if southerland is able to shoot with impunity against d-2 level defenders he will make some shots (we have seen this before). what are you on vacation or something with this analysis? soft inside defensively, what the hell are you talking about? i respect your opinion but What?

Those of us who watch the games have also seen Southerland play damn well against Big East teams.

As far as "soft defensively," feel free to tell us how you'd label all those open looks Pace got on Thursday night.

IMO Been saying it for the last 2 years, Triche is a guy you don't want as your first or second go to scorer, but can put up the points to be near your leading scorers. Hes at his best running motion and when he is scrappy on defense, yesterday wasn't built for that. But, 34 mpg we may not be able to utilize his scrappyness and motion (bad for us).

Triche is easy to read on offense. His isolation has never looked to great and his three point shooting maybe 3-4 games in his career has looked above average, but hes good when he gets a step on his man in the lane. I think we will see alot of delayed give and goes or triangle give and goes from brandon this year only he will utilize more of the court when doing it.

A) exhibition game getting stripped by a 5'5 freshmen isn't good but Cuse wanted to come out and run not take care of the ball against pressure from Pace. He was being sloppy in a practice game. In a real game he gets low on that possession and utilizes a light crossover.
B) Brandon had a nice layup or two on off the ball movement. Good to see.
Don't be to hard on him to he knows the other players roles, the other guys learn to give him the space for his motion, and he learnswhere his motion can fit in.

Well put. He's a perfectly fine player. Good, but never quite capable of being the player people here seem to expect year after year. It's like those 4 or 5 games each year where he does play strong somehow make him immune to criticism. Also, I get that he started for 3 years, but if he didn't start in year 1 (which easily could have been the case) or year 3 (again, easily could have been the case) it doesn't change who he is as player. The fact that he was a three year starter is awesome, but people go overboard with that defense of his awesomeness.

He's a very solid ballplayer, will be again this year, but still does all those things like his patented drive, jump, get stuck in the air and then just toss the ball aimlessly under the hoop that will always frustrate those that don't think he's a #1 option, or ever probably will be.

Also, I get that he started for 3 years, but if he didn't start in year 1 (which easily could have been the case) or year 3 (again, easily could have been the case) it doesn't change who he is as player. The fact that he was a three year starter is awesome, but people go overboard with that defense of his awesomeness.

Agreed on this. He started last year, but he also played fewer minutes than Dion.

He started as a freshmen and scoop got more minutes, Triche is a good, solid, dependable player, who will have another year like the last 3, good not great and thats ok. All great programs need those kind of players to compliment the other players.

I'll just never get the way people seem to have such axes to grind with certain players, year after year.

Some of us never expected Triche to be a superstar. Or a vocal leader type. Not sure why anyone would have expected that. He's been solid, dependable and has completely lived up to (my) expectations. If he does that again this year, I'll be quite pleased.

Triche is a program guy and program guys are the glue of our system! He's not a one and gone or two and done which is most often the case here at SU, I expect him to make the same incremental jumps that other program guys have made before him (andy, Kris Jo, Scoop, etc). Those jumps are generally more a result of experience than improvement in basketball skill, which has as much value as talent and when things are going wrong experience is more valuable. For some reason Triche is criticized for what others have been praised for and I don't get why. Andy went games his senior year where he didn't score played great defense and nobody ripped him for deferring to his teammates. Triche was probably our best player verse Ohio St. in the elite 8 lead the team in scoring and people are ripping him for his play in 36pt exhibition game win! Seriously people!....

I don't see much in this thread "ripping" Triche as much as I see informed critique of his game with plenty of "one exhibition game" disclaimers. I honestly think people just get far too sensitive about this stuff.

Plus, let's not forget that while Andy went scoreless once or twice, he was a premier defender in the zone (2 steals a game, plenty of deflections), a feared shooter (quick release, deep range, over 40% as a senior), an elite passer (5 assists per game) and a key part of our transition game (which was lethal in 09-10). Oh, and Rautins certainly took a smidge of criticism as well.

Triche, meanwhile, spent 11 of 12 games (prior to a good performance vs. Wisc.) in single digits. And, while he was great vs. both Wisc and Ohio St., he piled up a total of 3 rebounds and 1 assist combined in those two games. He's a nice player, but he's a complimentary piece. I think that's all anyone is really stating.

I don't see much in this thread "ripping" Triche as much as I see informed critique of his game with plenty of "one exhibition game" disclaimers. I honestly think people just get far too sensitive about this stuff.

Plus, let's not forget that while Andy went scoreless once or twice, he was a premier defender in the zone (2 steals a game, plenty of deflections), a feared shooter (quick release, deep range, over 40% as a senior), an elite passer (5 assists per game) and a key part of our transition game (which was lethal in 09-10). Oh, and Rautins certainly took a smidge of criticism as well.

Triche, meanwhile, spent 11 of 12 games (prior to a good performance vs. Wisc.) in single digits. And, while he was great vs. both Wisc and Ohio St., he piled up a total of 3 rebounds and 1 assist combined in those two games. He's a nice player, but he's a complimentary piece. I think that's all anyone is really stating.

Yeah I wrote that post after watching the football so I was a little sensitive in general but we do have too many Triche haters around here and I wasn't trying to compare Triche's junior year with Andy's senior year. I am expecting a big year out of Triche and will be surprised if it doesn't happen. Who was the last 4 year player that did not have a great senior year? Preston?...

If you could rewind this board 1 year you'd see what is essentially this same thread over and over again, with Scoop as the subject instead of BT. Rewind a little more and plug in Andy Rautins in place of Scoop. Players improve. JB's players from Jr. to Sr. year? Phenomenal.

If you could rewind this board 1 year you'd see what is essentially this same thread over and over again, with Scoop as the subject instead of BT. Rewind a little more and plug in Andy Rautins in place of Scoop. Players improve. JB's players from Jr. to Sr. year? Phenomenal.
Lets not even get into the Waiters talk either.

a dramatic drop off at PG last night when MCW wasn't on the court.

Brandon has to be better with the ball than he was last night. He was atrocious considering he is a sr. Only downside I noticed last night.

Lots to really like. Really enjoy watching mcw play. I just love his game - It's borderline irrational. He just makes the others better.

Southerland will flourish this year if he is able tyo receive the ball in rhythm like last night.

I think we may be a bit soft inside defensively, but it's picking nits.

8.5 deep this year. A perfect JB rotation. Love the parts that we have.

Could use one more dribble penetration player. I expect other teams to crowd us and force us to use the bounce. It's why Brandon must be better with the ball. I think it's the key to a deep run.

Very excited about MCW"s offensive skill / potential, but I am not convinced about either his ball handling or lead guard aptitude yet. IMO, that is the team's biggest achilles heel heading into the season. Last year's team did a phenomenal job taking care of the ball and avoiding turnovers. We actually won a couple of close games last year simply because we didn't turn the ball over.

Can MCW handle pressure and facilitate half court offensive sets after we've faced pressure and there are only 18 seconds left on the shot clock when we get settled on the offensive side of the court? Not saying he can't, but it is a giant question mark and Thursday's performance didn't do anything to alleviate those concerns. I'm hoping a lot of it was just "first game jitters" and that some of the wildness will curb as he gets a few games under his belt. We need him to be exceptional as a lead guard--not just a scorer.

Triche will be helpful as a combo who can chip in as a secondary ball handler / facilitator to take some of the pressure off of MCW, but as the OP points out his handle / decision making / tendency to get ripped attempting that low crossover all scare me.

Frontcourt is loaded, but the backcourt really needs to step up for this team to actualize it's potential. Long way to go in that regard.

A case of the box score not telling the story. MCW's turnovers were aggressive moments pushing the ball trying to get easy baskets.

Brandon got stripped by a 5' 7" white guy who took it the distance...almost happened twice.

Brandon needs to play better.

Good to see Brandon still driving to the hole and leaving the floor not knowing what to do and with not place to go...and what would a game be like without him getting stripped at least once.

Very excited about MCW"s offensive skill / potential, but I am not convinced about either his ball handling or lead guard aptitude yet. IMO, that is the team's biggest achilles heel heading into the season. Last year's team did a phenomenal job taking care of the ball and avoiding turnovers. We actually won a couple of close games last year simply because we didn't turn the ball over.

This is a great point, and something I kind of forgot about until you mentioned it. We were 6th in the country in offensive turnover %, and 10th in defensive turnover %.

Just looking at the numbers, Scoop had by far the highest turnover % on the team, at 24%. MCW didn't play a ton of minutes last year, he was at 19%. I think you would expect MCW to at the worst be around where Scoop was last year. The real thing we need to replace is Dion and Kris. Those 2, especially Dion, were incredible at limiting their turnovers. CJ and James were both great at this, and they'll replace some of those turnover free minutes, but it's probably going to be tough to be 6th in TO this year. But for a team that had consistently ranked in the 100's or worse previously; staying somewhere in the top 50 or so would be huge.

Yeah I wrote that post after watching the football so I was a little sensitive in general but we do have too many Triche haters around here and I wasn't trying to compare Triche's junior year with Andy's senior year. I am expecting a big year out of Triche and will be surprised if it doesn't happen. Who was the last 4 year player that did not have a great senior year? Preston?...

I think you are confusing Triche haters with Triche realists. His positives and negatives are well documented. If he plays as well last year as this year we will be okay. If he makes the players around him better than that's a big plus.

I think you are confusing Triche haters with Triche realists. His positives and negatives are well documented. If he plays as well last year as this year we will be okay. If he makes the players around him better than that's a big plus.

Believing that anyone has reached their peak and will not improve at 21 is not realism its hate.

Believing that anyone has reached their peak and will not improve at 21 is not realism its hate.
maybe in your world, being realistic is not hate, its being honest with things.

For Four (4) years I have heard the same bull...and can't quite see it the way some of you do...so:
Not even a Jack & Coke for a few hours but I am ready to STOP THIS ABOUT TRICHE NOW: here is the bet...FIRST TO TAKE GETS BET:
Four tickets to first 'Cuse/NCState game in ACC in Raleigh vs. a case of Jack Daniels and case of Coke (I will throw in a steak dinner for two also at restaurant of my choice--(I know good ones in Raleigh)
Steveholt, Jake, Ithaca Matt, Sobicuse, Mymelomyman, and Albanycuse...
First of above get the bet:
'Cuse with Triche go at least as far as 'Cuse last year in the NCAA's....and if 'Cuse does, you will write a post indicated that you were wrong about Triche. and pay up as indicated above..and I will do the same.
ANY TAKER?

Did anyone ever respond to this one?

I see trouble ahead...

I should probably let it go. But with sequestration killing my business, I'm bored as hell.

I should probably let it go. But with sequestration killing my business, I'm bored as hell.
I have your back if this turns ugly. I'm even willing to get banned for the cause. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom