Amazon Fire TV | Syracusefan.com

Amazon Fire TV

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Ok geniuses. I got an Amazon Fire TV for Xmas. First smart TV I’ve had. Set up was easy and going along smoothly. Until….it came to scanning channels for live TV.

I used an HDMI cable from my Spectrum box to an HDMI input on the TV. Used HDMI 1. Tried 3 options. Cable, digital and digital/analog. None scanned in any channels. Read some online support stuff it mentioned a coax cable so I hooked one up from the cable box to the TV. Nothing except 4 channels. I have about 400 channels on Spectrum.

The support people were useless. Any suggestions?

Amazon Fire TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick?

Do you need to scan if you're using a cable box? TV's I've had in the past scanned for available channels when using over the air channels through the built in TV tuner. If you have a cable box you should be able to switch to the appropriate input and use the cable box like normal. I don't have an Amazon Fire TV, but my new Samsung smart TV worked just like that.

Ok geniuses. I got an Amazon Fire TV for Xmas. First smart TV I’ve had. Set up was easy and going along smoothly. Until….it came to scanning channels for live TV.

I used an HDMI cable from my Spectrum box to an HDMI input on the TV. Used HDMI 1. Tried 3 options. Cable, digital and digital/analog. None scanned in any channels. Read some online support stuff it mentioned a coax cable so I hooked one up from the cable box to the TV. Nothing except 4 channels. I have about 400 channels on Spectrum.

Did you reboot the Spectrum box? Are you sure the TV is set to display input 1? You could also most likely download the Spectrum app onto the tv assuming you’ve connected the tv to your wifi. It’ll work until you can get the hdmi connection figured out.

It’s probably easiest to just download/install the Spectrum app onto the FireTV and use your Spectrum login credentials on the app. It should make all of your subscribed channels available.

Do you need to scan if you're using a cable box? TV's I've had in the past scanned for available channels when using over the air channels through the built in TV tuner. If you have a cable box you should be able to switch to the appropriate input and use the cable box like normal. I don't have an Amazon Fire TV, but my new Samsung smart TV worked just like that.

I’ll check that out.

Did you reboot the Spectrum box? Are you sure the TV is set to display input 1? You could also most likely download the Spectrum app onto the tv assuming you’ve connected the tv to your wifi. It’ll work until you can get the hdmi connection figured out.

Yea to both and downloading the App was my next attempt.

It’s probably easiest to just download/install the Spectrum app onto the FireTV and use your Spectrum login credentials on the app. It should make all of your subscribed channels available.

Will do.

I just looked up how to do it, and all I can say is that Amazon Fire TV seems to make this process much more complicated than a Roku TV.

I have a Roku TV in our bedroom, you just use HDMI to connect, and Cable Box is the first "app" on the list. Select it, and you're using the cable (or Fios in my case) box like normal.

Should just be able to plug the box into the HDMI 1 port, and select that input and power on the box. The app is going to be behind live TV.

Should just be able to plug the box into the HDMI 1 port, and select that input and power on the box. The app is going to be behind live TV.

That’s what I did. I change the channel on the tv by using the boxes remote.

F84026D0-20EC-4FB6-B3A0-8D8111D19319.jpeg

This is Bees smart tv

On my Roku the live channel option is the over the air channels that come in through my antenna system and from the WIFI internet connection. Then the DirecTV channels come in through the Satellite/Cable option.

Let us know your progress. Many of us will be going down the same path.

We bought a new TV as well. Haven’t hooked it up yet, and I’m dreading it. I miss the days when you just plugged one in, connected the antenna and got two good stations and one fuzzy station.

On my Roku the live channel option is the over the air channels that come in through my antenna system and from the WIFI internet connection. Then the DirecTV channels come in through the Satellite/Cable option.
Same with me. If you want live channels to work, you probably are going to have to spring for an HDTV antenna. But if you have Spectrum, you probably don't want to bother. I think this is more for cable cutters who stream most of their content and depend on OTA signals for the big networks.

It won’t work that way. The cable box only outputs one or so channel at a time. You have to connect the cable box to the TV (usually HDMI is best), switch the tv input to the input you connected the cable box, and then control the channels using the cable box.

You can use the spectrum app as some suggested.
Also as a backup and to watch some bad old TV shows that on secondary channels you can hook up an antenna to the coax, set as over the air and scan for local channels.