Amid All the Excitment...We've Ignored Phil Jackson Giving Melo Worst Insult Ever | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Amid All the Excitment...We've Ignored Phil Jackson Giving Melo Worst Insult Ever

Phil inherited a total mess when he arrived. he has done some good things, probably the three best were drafting KP, trading for and drafting Hermangomez, and holding on to draft picks.

He has also, of course, had some bad moves, maybe the worst being the Noah contract.

However, I simply do not understand the Melo-drama that he has created. Melo is what he is, but that being said he is still their best player. Furthermore, there is no way due to Melo's no trade clause, the limitations in Melo's game, and his contract that Phil is going to get close to equal value for Melo. So all of Phil's picking on Melo simply makes no sense.

I admit that I had thought Phil had assembled a playoff team talent wise going into the seaosn and the only issue would be health. Well, the team has been reasonably healthy, but the talent hasn't meshed. I really don't blame Phil for that as the roster did look good on paper, in turn, Phil should not be trying to blame Melo. Meanwhile, the guy who really is the one who failed to put it all together (Hornacek) gets the teflon treatment. It is a ridiculous sceneio.

Melo has displayed class and restraint throughout what must be an ordeal for him. Phil needs to back off hard or else get Melo somewhere that he might want to be.
Melo is classy because he learned from the best.

Also JB seldom picks kids who are unmitigated disasters.

Even the anti-Melo had something of an excuse; being from Brazil, where of course English is spoken but not as much as in say the rest of the Americas or Europe or Africa even. And also relatively few Americans speak Portugese.

Sure he had tutors, but not as many to choose from as if he'd spoken Spanish or French.

Not delivered a championship to NY with his rag tag group of garbage role players? I legitimately dont know. It's New York. Melo has handled this better than most superstars subject to the NY sports media.
Got into a couple of brawls early on and picked up a most undeserved reputation as a result

Also he's just not quite Lebron. Thankfully.

Got into a couple of brawls early on and picked up a most undeserved reputation as a result

Also he's just not quite Lebron. Thankfully.
Good point. Look at how LeBron is handling things lately.

I think that anyone who goes to the Knicks in a coaching or front office position automatically gets dumber. It's like a blackhole for smart. I think it reflects poorly on the owner. Dolan would be better off hiring some up and comers and let the old guard live out their days on a farm somewhere upstate. But that's not his style, so the Knicks will continue to suck.
The Knicks have a habit of signing guys two years too late. I'm already anticipating them overpaying Isaiah Thomas when he is a free agent.

The Knicks have a habit of signing guys two years too late. I'm already anticipating them overpaying Isaiah Thomas when he is a free agent.

yes, they should sign him and bring back the other Isaiah Thomas to run things. that would be sweet

A very underrated aspect of Melo as a NYK is that his presence permitted the organization to significantly raise ticket prices year over year for a while there, and I'm not sure if they ever reduced them. I think that actually gives Melo an odd kind of moral authority here, because his value to the organization goes beyond the court and can be directly measured.

THIS. Every Knick team seems to be comprised of "5 years ago's Greatest Hits" type players.

At best, they get guys who have plateaued; but most are already on the downward slope, and about to fly off a cliff.

Phil should have stuck with coaching. Giving Noah that contract and hiring Fisher should have been fire-able offenses. Those aren't the moves winners make.

He pays a huge sum of money to bring in the 2008 Bulls, promising a "win now or bust" mentality. Now he wants to get younger halfway through the season?

Phil needs to retire and live on his ranch in Montana or wherever it is.

Cant understand why Jackson would want to continue to bash a player he's trying to trade??? The point is to get as much as you can for a Melo. Telling the world Melo is bad at this or bad at that isn't going to get you more for him :bat:?? Just bad bad business, but I guess this is the Knicks were talking about

THIS. Every Knick team seems to be comprised of "5 years ago's Greatest Hits" type players.

At best, they get guys who have plateaued; but most are already on the downward slope, and about to fly off a cliff.

Examples: Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, Steve Francis, Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess, etc., etc.

This is all about Jackson trying to shift the blame for what has been his disastrous stewardship of the team. Throw it onto someone else.

This is all about Jackson trying to shift the blame for what has been his disastrous stewardship of the team. Throw it onto someone else.
Seems a lot of truth there on what Phil is doing.
But comparing Melo to Michael Graham????
Despicable.
You could get lower, I suppose, by comparing him to the devil.
Or even worse to John Thompson Sr.(pardon the offensive language).

Cant understand why Jackson would want to continue to bash a player he's trying to trade??? The point is to get as much as you can for a Melo. Telling the world Melo is bad at this or bad at that isn't going to get you more for him :bat:?? Just bad bad business, but I guess this is the Knicks were talking about
His ego at this point lets him think he can say whatever he wants.

A very underrated aspect of Melo as a NYK is that his presence permitted the organization to significantly raise ticket prices year over year for a while there, and I'm not sure if they ever reduced them. I think that actually gives Melo an odd kind of moral authority here, because his value to the organization goes beyond the court and can be directly measured.
The Knicks could throw 5 clowns riding around on tricycles out there and MSG would still sell out. It's a shame that such a loyal and passionate fan base is stuck with this garbage organization.

The Knicks could throw 5 clowns riding around on tricycles out there and MSG would still sell out. It's a shame that such a loyal and passionate fan base is stuck with this garbage organization.
I suspect Charles Oakley would "like" your post !!!

Read Frank Isola's story on the Oak incident. Not quite how the Knick management spins it.

Read Frank Isola's story on the Oak incident. Not quite how the Knick management spins it.

Knicks' treatment of Charles Oakley is an embarrassment

What an embarrassment.

The Knicks organization is in complete disarray, from top to bottom. No wonder they never get better. Other than the Pat Riley era, they've basically stunk ever since I was a little kid. Meanwhile, that championship in the early 70s gets further and further away in the rear view mirror.

Knicks' treatment of Charles Oakley is an embarrassment

What an embarrassment.

The Knicks organization is in complete disarray, from top to bottom. No wonder they never get better. Other than the Pat Riley era, they've basically stunk ever since I was a little kid. Meanwhile, that championship in the early 70s gets further and further away in the rear view mirror.

It really shows how bad things are that they are a bigger embarrassment than the Nets right now. At least with Brooklyn, it's only about basketball

He pays a huge sum of money to bring in the 2008 Bulls, promising a "win now or bust" mentality. Now he wants to get younger halfway through the season?

Phil needs to retire and live on his ranch in Montana or wherever it is.
No. He needs to become a broadcaster. Then he can say all the stupid nasty shiznit he likes till management gets sick of it and fires him.

I'm thinking about pairing him with Walton. I find Walton unlikable a lot, especially when he's gratuitously nasty to his partner - Dave Pasch? - and I can hear Dave or whomever thinking, wait till I get my contract for my memoir. You just wait... But at least Walton was a superstar player and is damn smart about so much. He gets distracted and boring to me when I'm listening on the radio and not seeing the game and c'mon Bill, what's happening in the GAME! I think he's probably pretty nice too when he's not feeling the need to prove he's the smartest guy in the room.

Phil is just a toad. A poisonous one.