Amile Jefferson versus Jerami Grant | Syracusefan.com

Amile Jefferson versus Jerami Grant

Dave85

Living Legend
Jefferson was ranked higher coming out HS than Grant. It will be interested to see if the extra year at Duke helps Jefferson more in the NBA than Grant leaving early. It will be interesting to see if the extra year in CBB matters in terms of a successful NBA career.

Dave85 said:
Jefferson was ranked higher coming out HS than Grant. It will be interested to see if the extra year at Duke helps Jefferson more in the NBA than Grant leaving early. It will be interesting to see if the extra year in CBB matters in terms of a successful NBA career.

Means nothing who was ranked higher coming out of high school.

From what I saw of Amile, he is very limited. A small forward with a big mans game. He had a great game in the dome playing around the basket, ate up a bunch of O rebounds for some easy put backs and played with high energy. But he would often disappear in many Duke games I saw, and he will get tossed around trying to play inside in the NBA. I think Jerami's game is more diverse, he can stretch the floor more than Amile, and he is still improving. While I haven't been very good at projecting NBA success over the years, I think this is an easy one to call, Jerami > Amile.

Jefferson is a solid college ball player but has limited NBA upside imo. Maybe he could carve out a role as a high energy hustle player off the bench for a team down the road. Grant's on another level when it comes to the athleticism, length, and upside that the NBA loves. Hopefully he can develop a consistent jumper to stick around in the Association for many years to come.

Jefferson is a solid college ball player but has limited NBA upside imo. Maybe he could carve out a role as a high energy hustle player off the bench for a team down the road. Grant's on another level when it comes to the athleticism, length, and upside that the NBA loves. Hopefully he can develop a consistent jumper to stick around in the Association for many years to come.

I was thinking more in terms of them being equals and would the extra year in college matter. But since everyone thinks Grant is so much better than Jefferson it kind of destroys my question before it starts. I am not interested in defending Jefferson. I could care less. I was more interested in whether an early exit from college BB helps or hurts a player's long term success in the NBA.

But just to make people happy I will concede Jefferson is no way near Grants caliber.

I was thinking more in terms of them being equals and would the extra year in college matter. But since everyone thinks Grant is so much better than Jefferson it kind of destroys my question before it starts. I am not interested in defending Jefferson. I could care less. I was more interested in whether an early exit from college BB helps or hurts a player's long term success in the NBA.

But just to make people happy I will concede Jefferson is no way near Grants caliber.
Lol no need for that, we can all agree to disagree on certain topics. If you want to have somebody to compare with Grant down the line then I think the better example would've been Harrell from Louisville. He had the chance to become a lottery pick this year and decided to return to school, plus he has the athleticism and physical tools that matches Grant more so than Jefferson. Imho staying in college can help a player mature and mentally become ready. On the flip side if you don't have the physical tools and a certain skill set then it'll always be tough to have any kind of success in the NBA whether it's short or long term no matter how long you stay in college. Maybe by staying an extra few more years in school, Jefferson can develop a better and more consistent jump shot than Grant and maybe an overall better skill set. What he won't improve on that Grant has and the NBA looks for is the freakish athleticism and a wingspan and reach that matches the majority of PF's and C's in the league already. Most of the top players currently in the NBA have either never played college ball or only played a year or two at most in college. So if we're going by the numbers then yes leaving early and striking while the iron is hot has helped players have success in the NBA more so than staying longer in college. McAdoo from UNC was a projected top 10 pick after his freshman year, now there are reports that he might not even get drafted when all said and done. Example being that just because you stay in college longer doesn't guarantee that your game will improve and become NBA worthy.

Lol no need for that, we can all agree to disagree on certain topics. If you want to have somebody to compare with Grant down the line then I think the better example would've been Harrell from Louisville. He had the chance to become a lottery pick this year and decided to return to school, plus he has the athleticism and physical tools that matches Grant more so than Jefferson. Imho staying in college can help a player mature and mentally become ready. On the flip side if you don't have the physical tools and a certain skill set then it'll always be tough to have any kind of success in the NBA whether it's short or long term no matter how long you stay in college. Maybe by staying an extra few more years in school, Jefferson can develop a better and more consistent jump shot than Grant and maybe an overall better skill set. What he won't improve on that Grant has and the NBA looks for is the freakish athleticism and a wingspan and reach that matches the majority of PF's and C's in the league already. Most of the top players currently in the NBA have either never played college ball or only played a year or two at most in college. So if we're going by the numbers then yes leaving early and striking while the iron is hot has helped players have success in the NBA more so than staying longer in college. McAdoo from UNC was a projected top 10 pick after his freshman year, now there are reports that he might not even get drafted when all said and done. Example being that just because you stay in college longer doesn't guarantee that your game will improve and become NBA worthy.
Harrell seems to bring tremendous intensity and a serious "motor". I have a hard time coming up with a comparable for his NBA trajectory...

You could? It doesn't sound like it.

You could? It doesn't sound like it.

I could say anything and you would read it with whatever emotion you are attributing to it god damn it!

I could say anything and you would read it with whatever emotion you are attributing to it god damn it!

He was just referring to the correct phrase being "I couldn't care less." I hate being the grammar police on here but that's kind of one of my grammar pet peeves.

He was just referring to the correct phrase being "I couldn't care less." I hate being the grammar police on here but that's kind of one of my grammar pet peeves.

You do know I grow up and were educated in New Jersey.

Given that the rankings are intended to be a predictor of college success and we are a college program. It will be more interesting seeing which of the two ends up having the better college career. I'm not sure either has a leg up on the other at this point, which suggests that it will be Jefferson unless he gets relegated to the bench this season. Will also be interesting to see how having Okafor there changes what is expected from him and the game that he gets to play in the context of the Duke team concept.

A better comparison for Jefferson might actually be CJ Fair.

I also thought that Hak was a comparable player to Jefferson. Obviously, Jefferson has to make a pretty big leap to reach the heights that Hak did, but sophmore to junior season and moving out of the lost post might result in a big change.

This. Misuse of that phrase just kills me for some reason.

This. Misuse of that phrase just kills me for some reason.

"Which is correct: I could care less or I couldn't care less?
The expression I could not care less originally meant 'it would be impossible for me to care less than I do because I do not care at all'. It was originally a British saying and came to the US in the 1950s. It is senseless to transform it into the now-common I could care less. If you could care less, that means you care at least a little. The original is quite sarcastic and the other form is clearly nonsense. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only here, recorded in print by 1966. The question is, something caused the negative to vanish even while the original form of the expression was still very much in vogue and available for comparison - so what was it? There are other American English expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of an apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means 'Don't tell me about it, because I know all about it already'. The Yiddish I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often 'I have no hope of being so lucky', has a similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning as does I could care less."

Did I axe you to "tell me about it?" Some people just can accept they are not in charge of the vernacular. I couldn't care less about your grammar correction. Hock me a tshaynik!

Last edited: