An analogy for ya... | Syracusefan.com

An analogy for ya...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Just wondering if posters here would agree or disagree with it.

Last night, my roommate referred to Jim Boeheim as the Peyton Manning of college basketball: old stalwarts/HOFers who put up gaudy records when there is little on the line. Yet when it comes to the big game, they have trouble winning.

People are going to love this one. Getting my popcorn as we speak.

People are going to love this one. Getting my popcorn as we speak.

Me too. That is why I asked it here. I honestly did not know how to respond. He just kept saying, "It's not a bad thing. Peyton is one of the best all time."

I believe JB once said "you don't get to big games without winning big games".

He also said, "good teams win."

I thought analogy was the study of the buttthole...jk. Coaches and quarterbacks get too much credit and too much blame. The players play. The coach doesn't even touch the ball.

Last night, my roommate referred to Jim Boeheim as the Peyton Manning of college basketball: old stalwarts/HOFers who put up gaudy records when there is little on the line. Yet when it comes to the big game, they have trouble winning.
He's been to four Final Fours and three National Championship games. I suggest there was a lot on the line when he beat a bunch of #1 seeds to get to those games.

He's been to four Final Fours and three National Championship games. I suggest there was a lot on the line when he beat a bunch of #1 seeds to get to those games.

Perfect response. Will share this with him tonight.

It is a fair comparison, but I have been wondering lately, it used to be that a guy needed a title to complete his career. Now the goalposts have moved and Payton and Boeheim need 2 titles to somehow justify how great they are? I don't get it.

Perfect response. Will share this with him tonight.

arguably he should've won the 87 ship too but we choked. thats not on boeheim. thats on our foul shooters.

arguably he should've won the 87 ship too but we choked. thats not on boeheim. thats on our foul shooters.

Arguably only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...wait a minute.

Me too. That is why I asked it here. I honestly did not know how to respond. He just kept saying, "It's not a bad thing. Peyton is one of the best all time."

It's a fair comparison. Being compared to Peyton Manning in anything cannot be bad. Also, the guy is hilarious. Can we get Jimmy on SNL?

I like it. Two of the greatest ever but 1 more championship would do wonders for both of their legacies.

I think it's a great comparison. But it seems like your roommate is making the comparison as an insult, whereas I think it's a compliment.

Creative way of putting it.

I think it's a great comparison. But it seems like your roommate is making the comparison as an insult, whereas I think it's a compliment.

I get the arguement. Still...four final fours. Only eleven have done better in the history of the game...which I think is pretty good.

Arguably only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...wait a minute.

when you're comparing an nfl quarterback to an ncaa basketball coach, i think it works.

I get the arguement. Still...four final fours. Only eleven have done better in the history of the game...which I think is pretty good.

And Peyton has been to 3 Super Bowls - seems more or less equivalent.

It is a fair comparison, but I have been wondering lately, it used to be that a guy needed a title to complete his career. Now the goalposts have moved and Payton and Boeheim need 2 titles to somehow justify how great they are? I don't get it.

Boeheim is unquestionably great and is unquestionably a legend. The debate now is whether he's in the conversation with guys like Coach K, John Wooden, Bob Knight for all-time elite status. In my opinion he can't be in that conversation without multiple titles.

Peyton never really performed that well in big games. Jimmy has had some bad luck. If Smart misses the J (or DC makes the FTs) that would be title #2. If AO doesn't go down there is probably pretty close to a 50% chance that would have been another title as we were probably the best team that year, though we were still several wins away. The other NC game we were severely overmatched 7 never really stood a chance.

But, on the other hand Jimmy accomplishments have been over 40 years vs Peyton's 3 Super Bowl in approx 15 years.

Peyton never really performed that well in big games. Jimmy has had some bad luck. If Smart misses the J (or DC makes the FTs) that would be title #2. If AO doesn't go down there is probably pretty close to a 50% chance that would have been another title as we were probably the best team that year, though we were still several wins away. The other NC game we were severely overmatched 7 never really stood a chance.

But, on the other hand Jimmy accomplishments have been over 40 years vs Peyton's 3 Super Bowl in approx 15 years.

Everyone has bad luck. Coach K lost three national title games by a total of ten points.

And playing the "if" game is a two way street. Good thing Macnamara made six instead of five threes.

Boeheim is unquestionably great and is unquestionably a legend. The debate now is whether he's in the conversation with guys like Coach K, John Wooden, Bob Knight for all-time elite status. In my opinion he can't be in that conversation without multiple titles.

Yeah he's in the top echelon of his profession. No one is comparing Boeheim to Jeff Bzdelick.

True. But the flip side of that is only four final fours in 38 years. I think that works against JB's perception nationally as much as anything--right, wrong, or indifferent.

I would argue that it's much, much harder to win the CBB championship than to win the Super Bowl - although the Bills are saying "hello"...