An analogy for ya... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

An analogy for ya...

I would argue that it's much, much harder to win the CBB championship than to win the Super Bowl - although the Bills are saying "hello"...

I agree. Especially when you aren't at a Duke/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas-type school. I think JAB has done a damn fine job bringing great basketball year in and year out to a private university in a relatively small city in Upstate NY.

CBB very different from the NFL. The playing field is not level.

Manning has had some awful postseason game, Boheim has been to three titles games, he should have won two of them, and came pretty close in the third. Manning has been to 3 sbs, and played pretty poorly in two of them.

I agree. Especially when you aren't at a Duke/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas-type school. I think JAB has done a damn fine job bringing great basketball year in and year out to a private university in a relatively small city in Upstate NY.

CBB very different from the NFL. The playing field is not level.

Perhaps Arsene Wenger is a good comparo? Hasn't won the title since 2004 but is always in the conversation as a big name coach/team.

I actually came up with this exact same analogy last year. Then we made the Final Four.

It is a fair comparison, but I have been wondering lately, it used to be that a guy needed a title to complete his career. Now the goalposts have moved and Payton and Boeheim need 2 titles to somehow justify how great they are? I don't get it.

And somehow idiots attempt to minimize Boeheim's title because he actually had a really good player on his team. Like, that seems to be a first and only time thing for a lot of these people...the championship basketball team had a great player on it! Go figure.

Winning it all which is how we measure great coaches is very difficult to do and requires great players. Look at the players the coaches who won multiple championships had and compare them to what we have had at Syracuse. I remember one year when Dean Smith had Michael Jordan, James Worthy and Sam Perkins on the same team. Hell even I could have won with that lineup.Look at the players that Wooten had when he was winning it all plus the fact that the tournament was nothing like it is today. The cool thing I find about Jim is that he gets better with age unlike coaches like Bob Knight.