Class of 2019 - An Early Look at the Top NYS Prospects for 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 An Early Look at the Top NYS Prospects for 2019

This is a copy and paste from the pdf posted in the original post.

I think the 2020 class will be a strong one. Constant looks like he is going to be a national recruit. Mousand has crazy numbers and already has an offer from BC. Czarnecki could grow into a Gronk type TE, stay at LB, where he is already a GAM, or most likely develop into a dominating DL.

Liam Scheuer has one of the most impressive highlight tapes for a sophomore DE type I have ever seen. Wait a little for the defensive highlights to start. If he continues to grow and fill out, wow.

Liam Scheuer on Hudl

Lots of other talented kids with excellent potential. I will post more on some of the kids I like best down the road a bit.

Super Early Look at the Top Prospects in the Class of 2020 for NYS:

Player Name High School Pos Hometown Hgt Wgt Comments

Lamy Constant Poly Prep RB Brooklyn 6’0 180 Top 100 players in NYC as soph, offers from Syracuse, BC, UMd, Mich, RU. Loves ND.
Sofian Mousaud Cardinal Hayes ATH Brooklyn 6’0 170 3rd team class AA all state, 1st team All NYC, passed for 3106 yards, 32 TDs, offer from BC
Liam Scheuer Williamsville North DE Williamsville 6’2 220 1st team class A all state, 109 tackles, 23 TFL 11 sacks as soph. QB demo machine, love his film.
Isiah Czarnecki Notre Dame MLB/TE Utica 6’3 220 5th team class B all state, 97 tackles, 13 TFL as a soph. Big, fast and tough.
Colbie Young Binghamton WR Binghamton 6’2 170 6th team class AA all state, 1st team All Southern Tier, 11 catches in playoff game, D1 talent
Mike Glinski West Seneca West LB West Seneca 6’2 200 First team AWNY
Connor Desiderio Maryvale QB Cheektowaga 6’1 170 3rd team class B all state as a soph, lefty with excellent touch and decent speed.
Justin Lacks Moore Catholic RB Staten Island 6’0 180 5th team all state (class B) as a freshman, ran for 1251 yards, 11 TDs as a soph
Andre Hines St Peter’s ATH Staten Island 6’0 200 HM All NYC, as a soph, 4.5 40, 245 lb bp, big, fast, tough.
Tyrese Weeks Midwood RB Brooklyn 6’0 222 HM All NYC as a soph, 315 bp, agile power back who can catch it too. ‘Iron Head’-like game.
Jayson Colorado Poly Prep ATH Brooklyn 6’1 185 Has interest from Rutgers, visited ND, 4.7 40
Collin ‘Bubba’ Null Carthage OL Carthage 6’0 285 First Team All CNY large schools, 18-2 record as a wrestler
Tywon Wright Dunkirk LB Dunkirk 6’2 215 2nd team class B All State as soph. No film.
Clarence Thomas South Park RB Buffalo 5’9 180 5th team class A all state, good speed and vision, 793 yards & 10 TDs as a soph
Roland Dempster Tottenville RB Staten Island 5’11 205 HM All NYC as a soph, power back with good, not great speed. Elusive.
Brian McNeil Holy Trinity ATH Schenectady 6’2 200 First team All Capital Region (small schools)
Liam Matthews Sidney WR Sidney 5’11 155 First team Elite 24 (All Southern Tier), 56 catches for 1217 yards and 16 TDs as jr
Joey Venezia Hills West ATH Dix Hills 5’11 195 2nd team all Long Island as a sophomore
Joe Tortello Holy Trinity QB Schenectady 5’9 175 1st team class C all state, passed for over 1600 yards as sophomore, nice touch & form
Bryce Yockel Caledonia-Mumford RB Caledonia 5’10 180 1st team class C all state, has good straight ahead speed; tough.
Nacier Huntley Holy Trinity LB Schenectady 5’9 175 Defensive player of the year Capital Region (small schools)
David Stevens Midwood WR Brooklyn 5’8 160 HM All NYC as a soph. No film found.

The Defensive Tackles...

If you had to pick one position where SU needs help the most, it would probably be defensive tackle.

The best prospect in the state might be Alex Barshaba, a 6’6, 330 refrigerator out of McKee HS on Staten Island. Alex is reasonably athletic and has exceptional strength. He is unblockable.

Alex Barshaba on Hudl

Ryayan Buell of Hornell HS in Western NY is one of the top athletes in the state. He plays middle linebacker for Hornell at 6’2, 265 pounds, is really agile and has racked up over 200 tackles in the past 2 seasons. Has huge potential.

Rayyan Buell on Hudl

EJ Buck, one of the best prospects out of CNY, is a 6’1, 325 pound DT from ESM HS. Buck is very physical, tough and has excellent lateral agility.

EJ Buck on Hudl

The Defensive Ends...

If someone out of NYS is going to develop into a national recruit, it most likely be Adisa Issac, a 6’5 210 DE out of Canarsie HS in Brooklyn. Adisa has explosive speed and has the potential to develop into a premiere pass rusher. He is one of two players from the state to have an offer from Syracuse, as well as offers from Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois and Rutgers.

Adisa Isaac on Hudl

Jason Blissett is a 6’3 255 DE out of Poly Prep in Brooklyn. Quick and physical, Jason is more of a run stopper than a pass rusher and it looks likely he will eventually grow into DT. He has offers from Maryland, Temple and UConn to date.

Jason Blissett Jr. on Hudl

Anton Juncaj is 6’4, 215 pounds and plays at Minisink Valley HS in Slate Hill (lower Hudson Valley). He is fast, athletic and specializes in creating violent collisions. Could also play at TE. I think he has a world of talent.

Anton Juncaj on Hudl

Keith Winfrey, 6’3, 229 pounds, is from Long Island power William Floyd HS in Mastic Beach. He has a good blend of strength and agility, an offer from Stony Brook and interest from BC, Temple and UConn.

Keith Winfrey on Hudl

Nasiere Tisdale is another good prospect out of Churchville-Chili. 6’3, 233 pounds, Nasiere runs a 4.61 40 and excels at penetrating. Makes a lot of tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Nasiere Tisdale on Hudl

Lastly, Nathan Genevick of Cambridge HS near Albany,is a 6’5, 245 pound lieman who made 112 tackles as a junior. He is athletic and very tough.

Nathan Genevick on Hudl
Update:

Winfrey has an offer now from BC. I think they are recruiting New York harder than any other P5 school.

The OL from Homer definitely belongs on the list great call Sutomcat. I've seen the kid on the field and in the gym he's big, strong, quick and shuts everything down. At 6'4" maybe even a little over by now and 325 currently could easily slide in to OG and is smart enough to play C.
He'll also have a full year of film playing nose tackle next season.

Last edited:
The OL from Homer definitely belongs on the list great call Sutomcat. I've seen the kid on the field and in the gym he's big, strong, quick and shuts everything down. At 6'4" maybe even a little over by now and 325 currently could easily slide in to OG and is smart enough to play C.
He'll also have a full year of film playing nose tackle next season.

I was just told this kid is visiting Saturday as well .

The Running Backs...

Deyvon Wright is from Half Hollow Hills High on Long Island, the alma mater of Devante McFarlane and Cam Jordan. He is one of the few NYS kids with a P5 offer (West Virginia). At 5’11 and 173 pounds, he might not be big enough to play RB in college full time. Ran for 1307 yards and 23 TDs as a junior. Excellent speed and cutting ability; he is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

If he were to come to Syracuse, I would expect him to be used in the slot like Erv Philips was. Kids with this kind of play making ability are rare in NY, but seem to be relatively common in Florida.

Deyvon Wright on Hudl

Dhyquem Lewinson is from Spackenkill HS in Poughkeepsie. Probably the strongest RB in the state, he benches 315 lbs and squats 700. Set a world record when he became the youngest person to ever deadlift 500 lbs 5 times at age 14. Hence his nickname ‘Manchild’.

Ran for 1001 yards and 18 TDs as a frosh but missed most of his sophomore year due to a broken collarbone. He was healthy in 2017 and responded well, running for 1525 yards and 21 TDs, averaging 11.5 ypc. His film is fun to watch. He has very good speed, cuts well and consistently makes good reads.

Was recently named second team all state class B at RB, along with teammate Kyiev Bennermon, a senior headed to BC. Given his skill set and the way BC plays, would not be surprised if he ends up there.

Dhyquem Lewinson on Hudl

The best returning RB in NYC, at least according to News 12 Varsity, is Vin Wagner of Monsignor Farrell on Staten Island (he was first team All NYC). At 6’1, 206 lbs, Vin is another power back who can run. Rushed for 1487 yards and 10 TDs (8.5 ypc) last season.

While Lewinson gets most of his yardage on outside runs and doesn’t break lots of tackles, Wagner is a true inside runner who thrives on contact. Vin is a junkyard dog on the field, a great competitor and very tough. Also looks very good catching the bill out of the backfield. Might be an upgrade over Elmore at the power back position Chris tried to play last year though he would have work to do in the weight room.

He would be a great fit at Army or Navy.

Vin Wagner on Hudl

Rutgers continues to take borderline D1 prospects from NYS. I assume their recruiting has collapsed and they have no better options.

I like Cole. He is a really raw prospect at QB but he is a fine athlete with a strong arm. It is going to take a lot of hard work to mold him but I think his ceiling is high. At the worst, he has the speed, size and mentality to play safety, and might even grow into a linebacker down the road. Congrats to him. I hope he does well in NJ.

I was surprised by this. Southwestern is a great small school program but the competition level is not good. Goes to show that you can find kids you like through camp evaluations. Not sure if Cole's a Big Ten QB but I hope he throws for 4000 yards while Butgers goes 0-11.

Seems like the standouts are Jaheim Jones (WR) and Zimmerman (OL) on offense, and Barshaba, Cook, Willis, Juncaj and Jackson on defense. Speed kills.

Appreciate the work Tom. We keep a google doc of Rochester players. I will be happy to share with you in the future. Gerald Drumgoole is getting a lot of attention. Has Toledo and UB offers along with ODU. He can be one of the those kids that gets more offers if he attend camps. Schools like him as a TE/DE prospect. He's a basketball kid too. He good in hoops but he's a better football prospect. Also Bobby Searight plays for East, big lineman that has interest from D1 schools. Pittsford has a TE/DE prospect. Victor has a Offensive lineman.

Yes been rumored for awhile. I was told he wasnt going to play football even if he stayed. Big loss for Irondequiot's hoops team because they were in the state chip game last two years. Won 1 and lost 1. This year was suppose to be the best of the last 3 years.

The Quarterbacks

As far as I know, the only NYS QB with a solid offer to play football in college is probably the most talked about recruit on the basketball recruiting board, Joe Girard III, the People’s Choice. While he has many offers for basketball, some to big time programs, he also has at least one for football: Tulane.

His film is just a long series of broken plays where he runs around until he finds a way to make a play for a big gain. He does not appear to be more than 6’0 tall, and not very muscular either, While he runs well, he doesn’t have great speed. While he throws the ball accurately, he does not appear to have a tremendously strong arm. Watching him play, I kept thinking how much he reminded me of how Doug Flutie used to play.

Joseph Girard III on Hudl

Whether he would be successful playing at the P5 level is moot; I don’t think for a minute he is going to play football in college. It is a shame though because it would be great fun to watch him play.

Freddy June Jr is a junior at Irondequoit HS in Rochester. The All Greater Rochester player of the year in 2017, Freddy is also a fine basketball player, though not nearly at the level of Girard III.

A true dual threat QB, he ran for 1220 yards and passed for 1293 yards in 2017. Very good athlete who is a better runner than a passer right now. Has a strong arm but isn’t in a program where he is going to throw the ball a lot. I think he could be a fine BCS level QB but it will take some time for him to catch up on other QBs that come from more sophisticated offenses (the same would apply to JG III).

Freddy June on Hudl

Casey Kelly goes to St Joseph’s Collegiate Institute in Buffalo. Casey is the brother of Chad Kelly and the nephew of Jim. While he looks a little heavy on film, he can run very well (reportedly a 4.6 40) and he has a strong arm.

While he has a world of talent, according to Maxpreps, he only played in 4 games his junior season. He has played there for 3 seasons, during which he has thrown for 1262 yards and ran for 969, which are good numbers, but he also has thrown for 9 TDs and 9 interceptions, and his career completion percentage is 52.4. Not good.

If he figures things out, he could end up being a national recruit. If not, his only offer might be from UB. He is a huge wild card, One major positive: his gpa is said to be 3.8.

Casey Kelly on Hudl

Tylik Bethea is probably the best QB out of NYC in the class of 2019. At 6’4, he has nice height but at only 180 pounds, he needs to get stronger. Threw for 2133 yards and 23 TDs for Lincoln HS in 2017. Looks very poised in the pocket, has a nice arm and a very relaxed throwing motion. Doesn’t run much.

Tylik Bethea on Hudl

Cole Snyder is a 6’2 190 lb QB out of Southwestern HS. He passed for 1587 yards and 23 TDs in 2017. Has a strong arm. Also is a gifted runner and an excellent athlete who could probably play safety as well.

Cole has been a visitor in the SU campus and played at the Dome in a state championship game last fall. Works with former SU QB John Kinder, also a star hockey player. I like his film. Kid is a winner.

Darren Smith plays at little Sidney HS but he has put up some great numbers there, passing for 2766 yards and 30 TDs as a junior. He probably has the most accurate arm of any of these quarterbacks, but I don’t see great arm strength. Don’t see a lot of athleticism from him either. Likes to stay in the pocket. Might be a little chunky as well.

Darren Smith on Hudl

Matt Sluka appears to be the best QB coming out of Long Island in this class. A dual threat guy, he ran for 1619 yards and 24 TDs and passed for another 984. Has good size at 6’2 195 lbs. Good athlete who knows how to make people miss, his passing skills need refinement. He is another guy who might project best in college with a switch to safety,

Matthew Sluka on Hudl

The most impressive stats of the QBs in this class belong to Pat Hackler of Skaneateles. He threw for 3124 yards and 53 TDs in 2017. Another really smart winner type, Pat has excellent speed and very good accuracy throwing, but did not show great arm strength. He is headed to Yale to play lacrosse.

PATRICK HACKLER on Hudl

Lastly, let’s talk about Nathaniel Prophete of Christ the King HS in Middle Village. This is the same school Terrel Hunt went to. Like Terrel, Nathaniel is big (6’3 190 lbs). Has a strong arm and runs fairly well (4.8 40). Army, BC, Duke, Rutgers and Syracuse are all said to have interest in him.

Nathaniel has really bad numbers but is handicapped playing for an awful team. C the K finished 2017 0-8, and was outwcored by its opponents 280-76.

Nathaniel Prophete on Hudl
Mallard Creek star, major college recruit, doesn’t plan to ‘cheat’ a senior year opportunity
Casey Kelly transferred to Mallard Creek HS, Charlotte, NC

▪ The Mavericks, who return senior quarterback Jadyn Washington, have also added 3-star New York transfer, quarterback Casey Kelly, the brother of Denver Broncos QB Chad Kelly and the nephew of Buffalo Bills legend Jim Kelly.

This isn't about the top players in NY State but the DO is going to be covering local Syracuse football teams this season.

The best interior OL in the state is AJ DeSantis of Maine-Endwell HS near Binghamton. AJ is 6’4 285 pounds, strong as a bull and very agile. Great balance. Could play center of guard, or DT for that matter. I want him. Badly.

You will most certainly be able to see him play college ball in Central NY next season, Tom.

In Hamilton, NY.

You will most certainly be able to see him play college ball in Central NY next season, Tom.

In Hamilton, NY.
Colgate got a good one. Congrats to AJ.

Colgate got a good one. Congrats to AJ.
Word on the Southern Tier streets is that he accepted a full ride to Maryland, but had a minor knee injury and they backed off. Haven't bothered to look too deeply into it. M-E has a BIG line and is well coached so he may end up in the Dome at some point, if Forks doesn't continue their Class B dominance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom