An interesting Roy comment on the game | Syracusefan.com

An interesting Roy comment on the game

jordoo

Living Legend
One of the ESPN people after interviewing Roy yesterday paraphrased that Roy was stressing to his team that they needed to do what they did, run, rebound and pound it inside. I find this pretty interesting because if we can get back and hold our own on the boards than we have a great shot. We've showed over the years that JB will stress getting back on defense against Roy and we have been able to do that a very high percentage of the time. We have rebounded better in this tourney than the regular season and did fairly well against UNC both games on the boards because they don't force us to extend as much as other teams do.

I've said before its a strength vs strength match up. It sounds like Roy is putting all his eggs in that basket as well. I don't necessarily think its a bad strategy from Roy because he can't count on outside shooting and he has both the players (size, athleticism) and the fouls to pound us all game and hope to wear us down. With a week to prepare though I'm sure he also has a back up plan. (maybe) Still the key for us is to do what we do well better than UNC does what they do well. We need to defend at a high level and getting back on D and competing on the glass are the keys to that. We need to spread the ball with multiple shooters to create driving lanes and open jumpers.

I think that's basically the same strategy they had in the first two games.

Yes and had we shot it better we could have won either one. We need to shoot it better than we have all tourney and also get to the FT line IMO. I also think our D can be better in this game than it was in either of the other two.

For me it comes down to making them earn it down low. If they score buckets down there, which they will, we need to make it a challenge. We can't give up easy layups and dunks, everything needs to be contested. This is what we have been doing a better job of lately. If you look at Gonzaga, Sabonis had great numbers against us, but he had to earn it. We swarmed and made it as difficult for him as we could. Need the same mentality against UNC.

Agreed. I definitely like the Gonzaga approach. Swarm them anytime it goes inside and force them to take a contested shot or make the right pass.

They've been shooting the 3 ball well but I have to think their numbers will regress somewhat to the mean. It's pretty unusual to have multiple mediocre 3 point shooters all shoot lights out for an entire tournament (of which they've done up to this point).

For me it comes down to making them earn it down low. If they score buckets down there, which they will, we need to make it a challenge. We can't give up easy layups and dunks, everything needs to be contested. This is what we have been doing a better job of lately. If you look at Gonzaga, Sabonis had great numbers against us, but he had to earn it. We swarmed and made it as difficult for him as we could. Need the same mentality against UNC.

I agree that its important. Not only are those easy points but thats what seems to get them going as well.

If Carolina resorts to shooting threes albeit they have been much better lately, we win this game. I honestly wouldn't be mad if JB told the guys, not to go outside the arc. They are the best team left, we have to force them to beat us with their weakness of outside shooting. I doubt they can match themselves in that regard to last weekend.

If Carolina resorts to shooting threes albeit they have been much better lately, we win this game. I honestly wouldn't be mad if JB told the guys, not to go outside the arc. They are the best team left, we have to force them to beat us with their weakness of outside shooting. I doubt they can match themselves in that regard to last weekend.

The best thing that could happen for us is if they hit 2-3 early 3's and keep shooting.

The best thing that could happen for us is if they hit 2-3 early 3's and keep shooting.
Exactly, look at Perrantes as an example. He shot lights out throughout the game, but when the game got close they weren't falling. No one talked about this hardly this week, but if he wasn't making every 25 footer he shot in that first half, we are never down 15. Virginia's offense really wasn't attacking the zone effectively in the first half either, he saved them.

As long as they don't go off like they did against Indiana where they shot 55% from 3!
I have faith in the larger sample size over 1 game. They won't shoot 55% from 3. I expect against the zone in that enormous arena that they are somewhere in the mid-30's.

One of the ESPN people after interviewing Roy yesterday paraphrased that Roy was stressing to his team that they needed to do what they did, run, rebound and pound it inside. I find this pretty interesting because if we can get back and hold our own on the boards than we have a great shot. We've showed over the years that JB will stress getting back on defense against Roy and we have been able to do that a very high percentage of the time. We have rebounded better in this tourney than the regular season and did fairly well against UNC both games on the boards because they don't force us to extend as much as other teams do.

I've said before its a strength vs strength match up. It sounds like Roy is putting all his eggs in that basket as well. I don't necessarily think its a bad strategy from Roy because he can't count on outside shooting and he has both the players (size, athleticism) and the fouls to pound us all game and hope to wear us down. With a week to prepare though I'm sure he also has a back up plan. (maybe) Still the key for us is to do what we do well better than UNC does what they do well. We need to defend at a high level and getting back on D and competing on the glass are the keys to that. We need to spread the ball with multiple shooters to create driving lanes and open jumpers.

Its just coach speak. nothing to see here.

Cuse House said:

A couple coaches were on Sirius radio discussing the game and said while our weak side guard drops to the foul line, don't be surprised to see us drop that guard even deeper and "give" them the 3 if they rotate the ball quicker.

Just putting that out there in anticipation of people asking where the heck are our guards when they do hit some open 3's. A lot of pressure is going to be placed on the forwards to rotate up and force an additional pass.

Last edited:

Defense is the key. If our defense holds up, we don't have to shoot "lights out" throughout the game to win. We have proven that throughout The Tournament.

The main thing that could affect our defense is foul trouble. UNC's depth and strength down low combined with our short bench gives them a significant advantage. As soon as any of our key players acquire two fouls in the first half, or three early in the second half, they will be forced to stop challenging underneath. I believe Roy will have his guys going hard to the basket often in order to put us in foul trouble. I hope JB has a plan.

Last edited:
I'm very concerned about us getting into foul trouble. UNC's depth and strength down low combined with our short bench gives them a significant advantage. As soon as any of our key players acquire two fouls in the first half, or three early in the second half, they will be forced to stop challenging underneath. I believe Roy will have his guys going hard to the basket often in order to put us in foul trouble. I hope JB has a plan.
After going through all the posts, this is exactly what I was about to say. I'm counting on the refs to let the boys play. If they don't, then we will definitely be challenged due to lack of depth on the front line. Would not surprise me to see Obokoh in this game at some time just for that reason.

After going through all the posts, this is exactly what I was about to say. I'm counting on the refs to let the boys play. If they don't, then we will definitely be challenged due to lack of depth on the front line. Would not surprise me to see Obokoh in this game at some time just for that reason.

Don, we think alike. I was going to add the "Obokoh" comment at the end of my post.

Don, we think alike. I was going to add the "Obokoh" comment at the end of my post.
I understand the thought process, but it just hasn't happened. I thought we might see 5 first half minutes of Obo against someone- maybe the Zags. Steal 5 minutes in the first half - put Lydon at pf and along with Mal, TC and MG you would have 4 potential scorers still in.
But since it hasn't happened yet, seems unlikely now.

Uh Chino ain't seeing the court. At all.

We're really going to have to hope that Berry and Paige each have a cold night from three. I don't think we can deny the entry to the middle, cover the big men underneath, crash the boards, and consistently defend the three-point shot. I just don't see how that will be possible. One of those will have to be sacrificed and it will likely be the 3 point shot. And unfortunately they've been hot from three in this tournament.

Then again, if Cooney, G, Mal and Lydon are all on fire from three and Roberson is crashing the offensive boards then we should be able to keep up with their points regardless.

Uh Chino ain't seeing the court. At all.

The context was foul trouble. If Chinonso plays, that will mean JB is pretty much out of options. So the question becomes: Will we find ourselves in a situation whereby we are out of options?

This game comes down to Roberson/Coleman and Paige/Berry. Basically, the "weakness" of each team.

No offense, but basically you're saying UNC is game-planning to do what they're built for, and do. every. single. game.

I don't understand your comment that it's strength vs. strength? Isn't that what every college game is about. Unless you know of a coach that tells his team to utilize their weakness to win...

How is UNC throwing all their eggs in one basket? Their strength is inside. That's not a secret. It's not like Etan Thomas, Seikaly, and Derrick Coleman are suddenly suiting up to counter their inside game. It's not like UNC wrote a contract to only shoot around the basket and decline all outside shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom