An issue with missed class time | Syracusefan.com

An issue with missed class time

Huh? Isn't this the same for virtually all college bball teams? Why use Syracuse as the example?

What? Maybe he applied to Syracuse and couldn't get in. Now he'll take it out in half assed articles...as a lawyer. Or maybe he's friends with Gloria Allred.

He is probably a UConn fan just upset at SU getting into ACC and possibility of being #1 seed in MSG.

Seems he is taking shots at position that college players shouldn't be compensated. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they don't miss more days.

This guy had some jocks piss on his letter jacket in the locker room when he was in High School and he's had an axe to grind ever since. A real friend of the program.

Mr. Edelman clearly has no concept of Division 1 College Basketball. There are 351 schools in 32 Division 1 basketball conferences. Each of these schools plays the same number of games each year (28) prior to the post-season tournaments where the numbers can vary based on how well a team does. Of these schools, Syracuse plays significantly FEWER road games during the season because they hardly ever go on the road during November and December (when many other schools play MOST of their games on the road). Ironically, Syracuse gets criticized by sports reporters for playing a disproportionate number of their early season games at HOME.

Also, Mr. Edelman has no concept of how Syracuse (or several other schools) travels to away games. Due to NCAA regulations, a visiting team must arrive at an away game site the night BEFORE a game (in order to insure that weather does not preclude their being there on game day). They travel with academic support personnel and have mandatory study halls. And they always board a charter flight home immediately AFTER an away game which means they are virtually always home before midnight. They are then monitored to make sure they attend classes the next day.

In other words, they miss exactly one day of classes for an away game during midweek.

Because Syracuse uses charter flights, their players miss many fewer classes than others of the 351 schools that do not use charters.

I have no idea of why Mr. Edelman singled out Syracuse in his column. But he could not have been more off the mark. Syracuse players miss fewer classes than most other schools out there.

And they always board a charter flight home immediately AFTER an away game which means they are virtually always home before midnight. They are then monitored to make sure they attend classes the next day.

When I was in college, even if I did have access to a charter there were many a weeknight I was not back by midnight. ;) Their morning attendance is probably better than mine was in my junior and senior years.

How does jb saying no to paying college players have anything to do with missing classes in march for the tournament?

Maybe what he means is they should start paying them during march madness so they can drop out of Rutgers U and declare for the NBA draft. That would be a bright future :crazy:.

Last edited:
Wonder if he gave Rutger's their legal advice in the mishandling of various scandals? The lack of rational thinking appears familiar.

Very strange, illogical and obtuse argument in using SU players' class absence for games and attempting to tie it to JB's opposition to paying student athletes. I don't think the facts mattered to Mr Edelman when the relevancy or correlation obviously didn't. It was just an attack article against Coach's stance, thus SU, without directly addressing the universal play for pay issue directly or seriously. Not a very well thought out nor articulated article and Forbes published it?

This is a just a very poor agenda piece. Is reducing travel time the factor that would make the pay for play issue go away? Or if players got paid does that mean that travel time is irrelevant? Weird.

pic.jpg

Biography

Marc Edelman is an Associate Professor of Law at the Zicklin School of Business, Baruch College, City University of New York. He specializes in sports law, antitrust, intellectual property, and gaming law.

Professor Edelman is cited by the media on a wide range of sports law topics, including how the Sherman Act applies to professional sports leagues, how gaming laws apply to fantasy sports contests, and the legal issues pertaining to NCAA amateurism. His publications on sports law have been cited by three Supreme Court briefs, numerous textbooks, and more than 100 law review articles.

A magna cum laude graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School and a cum laude graduate of Michigan Law School, Professor Edelman began his professional career by practicing antitrust and sports law with the law firms Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom LLP and Dewey Ballantine LLP. He has also taught on the full-time faculty at the Barry University School of Law and at Rutgers School of Law-Camden.

During the summers, Professor Edelman teaches a course on Professional Sports and the Law at Fordham University School of Law. He also writes a column on sports law for Forbes SportsMoney, and provides legal consulting to clients in the areas of intellectual property, sports law and gaming law.

This guy realizes that they take the majority of their classes during the summer and fall, right? No? Well, that makes sense.

This guy realizes that they take the majority of their classes during the summer and fall, right? No? Well, that makes sense.

"Just details. Who needs to research those? I write for Forbes, dammit!"

Very weak article. He did a little easy math to come up with his numbers, but lacked the research to actually account for the actual days missed, instead relying on his logical assessment of how much time is missed. He could have, and probably did write this garbage in five minutes while on a bathroom break. I am shocked that Forbes published this.

I'm sure Jim will address this article post UNC blowout win

That is a ridiculously dumb article. He equates all days of travel as missed class days. Stupid assumptions to push his own agenda.

Was an embarrassing article.

SU takes charter planes to almost all its away games and returns the same day as the game is played. The premise he is using to calculate travel days is garbage and he could have found this out by making a simple phone call.

What he should have said is "I am a wacko whose single agenda in life is to find a way to get college athletes paid. I don't care that it doesn't make sense, that it would ultimately cause many schools to drop college basketball and ultimately hurt the people I am purportedly trying to help, because this is all about my ego. I was greatly angered by Jim Boeheim for pointing out I am an idiot and this is my sad attempt to get back at him".

Awful article because he could have made a good, informed argument regarding the NCAA and travel for basketball. Take for example, SU playing 9:00 road games for tv purposes. You would think a professor/lawyer would do a better job of constructing a criticism of the NCAA for claiming to support the education of student-athletes while refusing to place any kind of limitations on scheduling.
In fact, the point CTO made about the NCAA requirement that schools arrive the night before a contest reaffirms the stance that the contest is in fact the most important thing to the organization.

Reason 12,427 why the NCAA needs to stop the MBB/FB charade of pretending that academics is more important than athletics.