Andrew White NBA.com Article | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White NBA.com Article

I'd love to see him get drafted and stick somewhere. He excels at a skill that has gotten and kept a lot of guys in the association.
Can he shoot as well as Kyle Korver?

Probably not but maybe. If white was in the NBA he would not be prioritized defensively much like Korver. That leads to quality looks which certainly helps the percentages.
I remember when Korver came out of college, I couldn't believe he was making a team. And now, years later, he is a valuable role player. If White can hit open threes and be somewhat capable on defense, he might have a shot.

Is he really only 6'6" or was that a typo? 6'6" is going to jump out as a negative to a lot of scouts for a guy who can't play SG.

Regardless, he has an elite talent. Truly elite. In today's NBA, his ability to knock down triples should get him plenty of chances to stick somewhere. I wish him the best.

Is he really only 6'6" or was that a typo? 6'6" is going to jump out as a negative to a lot of scouts for a guy who can't play SG.

Regardless, he has an elite talent. Truly elite. In today's NBA, his ability to knock down triples should get him plenty of chances to stick somewhere. I wish him the best.
That's probably close to his height without shoes. He always seemed to "play" small, too, and doesn't possess exceptional athleticism. Not sure how that translates into a 3 at the NBA level, but the man can certainly shoot it.

Probably not but maybe. If white was in the NBA he would not be prioritized defensively much like Korver. That leads to quality looks which certainly helps the percentages.

Defenses pay a TON of attention to Korver. From a Zach Lowe article a few years ago:

"The fear is real. The gurus at Stats LLC, the company behind the SportVU cameras, have developed two previously unreleased metrics designed to measure the amount of attention an offensive player gets from defenders when he doesn’t have the ball.

The first, dubbed “gravity score,” measures how often defenders are really guarding a particular player away from the ball. Korver had the fourth-highest score, behind only Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, and Paul George. The second — “distraction score” — is a related attempt to measure how often a player’s defender strays away from him to patrol the on-ball action. Korver had the lowest such score in the league."

There may be a marketable lesson here: playing a year for the Orange can get help get you noticed by the NBA.

He might as well take Wes Johnson's spot on the Clippers roster since Wes doesn't know how to take advantage of the situation he was given.

Defenses pay a TON of attention to Korver. From a Zach Lowe article a few years ago:

"The fear is real. The gurus at Stats LLC, the company behind the SportVU cameras, have developed two previously unreleased metrics designed to measure the amount of attention an offensive player gets from defenders when he doesn’t have the ball.

The first, dubbed “gravity score,” measures how often defenders are really guarding a particular player away from the ball. Korver had the fourth-highest score, behind only Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, and Paul George. The second — “distraction score” — is a related attempt to measure how often a player’s defender strays away from him to patrol the on-ball action. Korver had the lowest such score in the league."
Which is exactly why guys like LeBron wants guys like Korver on their teams - he spaces the floor and spreads the defense to open up passing and driving lanes for LeBron etc.

I remember when Korver came out of college, I couldn't believe he was making a team. And now, years later, he is a valuable role player. If White can hit open threes and be somewhat capable on defense, he might have a shot.
Coming out of Creighton, I thought Kyle Korver was one of the best shooters I'd ever seen. Wasn't surprised in the least that he made a team. His shot has always been deadly, even if the defense is lacking.

Can he shoot as well as Kyle Korver?

Probably not, but he is top 10 all time. He doesn't have to shoot as well as Kyle Korver to carve out a career shooting the 3.

Coming out of Creighton, I thought Kyle Korver was one of the best shooters I'd ever seen. Wasn't surprised in the least that he made a team. His shot has always been deadly, even if the defense is lacking.
I guess the thing that surprised me is that he does little else.

Yeah, Korver shot 48% from 3 on 269 attempts his senior year at Creighton. That's remarkable.

Comparable to Korver: White at SU 18ppg., 4.6rb., 1.6st. Shot 278 3's made 112, .403 - 141ft., .837. The man can shoot. Loved these quotes from JB and White:

“Andrew played great the whole year,” Boeheim said after an NIT loss to Ole Miss ended Syracuse’s season. “We [were] a little disadvantaged with him at forward because of his size. That hurt us on the boards; that hurt us defensively. But offensively, he was great. You couldn't have asked for a player to have a better year offensively. He probably had the best offensive year of anybody in the league. He was there every night.”

White would have loved to play in the NCAA tournament, but he wouldn’t trade his time at Syracuse. “Coach Boeheim was great,” White said. “He rolled me onto the court and let me do what I do. That’s how he prefers to coach. He doesn’t over coach. Either you can play, or you can’t play.”

Great article. Glad he's working hard to make it. Not that I would expect otherwise. He did fall back on some of his shots at times, and come up short. I figured it was his legs, but working with the trainer should allow him to be 40% in the NBA too. At worst 38%, in my opinion. He made so many difficult shots, but will have easier attempts in the NBA. So, it will be hard to keep him out of the league.

I'm optimistic that he can play D well enough to become a 2. His ability to drive, and dribble does need to improve but is a bit underrated. I hope he finds a great organization in the 2nd round, or even undrafted, and picked up by the right team. I think he can carve out a long career in the NBA, but if not, then overseas will pay just fine. Best of luck, Andrew.

As with most of these young men - he needs to land in the right spot where he can get an opportunity. If not he's Europe bound.

Great article. Glad he's working hard to make it. Not that I would expect otherwise. He did fall back on some of his shots at times, and come up short. I figured it was his legs, but working with the trainer should allow him to be 40% in the NBA too. At worst 38%, in my opinion. He made so many difficult shots, but will have easier attempts in the NBA. So, it will be hard to keep him out of the league.

I'm optimistic that he can play D well enough to become a 2. His ability to drive, and dribble does need to improve but is a bit underrated. I hope he finds a great organization in the 2nd round, or even undrafted, and picked up by the right team. I think he can carve out a long career in the NBA, but if not, then overseas will pay just fine. Best of luck, Andrew.
I think he is more likely to carve out a long and lucrative career overseas after spending some time in the D-League. His size, skill set, athleticism and age will work against him in terms of an NBA career, IMO. I'm not sure his shooting ability will be enough to overcome that.

Nice article. Really hope he succeeds.

A telling and depressing comment, though — that Kansas' recruiting is so strong they were able to get Wiggins and Oubre and White at the same position.

Younger Korver wasn't a terrible defender, he at least had decent length.

And he of course has truly game changing shooting ability. White isn't at that level. But how many guys are?