Andrew White signs with Cavs | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White signs with Cavs

Thus is basically meaningless. Any decent senior will get a summer league invite from somebody.

He signed a contract to play with the Cavs summer league team. The Cavs have no actual contractual commitment here. nor does White have any commitment to the Cavs beyond Summer League.

Nice! Hopefully White in and Korver out.

I actually looked at Korver's college numbers compared to White's junior/senior year out of curiosity. Wow...Korver's shooting numbers were just on a whole different level. I thought the %'s would be closer than that. He was a better rebounder and assist guy than White too.

I actually looked at Korver's college numbers compared to White's junior/senior year out of curiosity. Wow...Korver's shooting numbers were just on a whole different level. I thought the %'s would be closer than that. He was a better rebounder and assist guy than White too.

Yeah, I remember him being quite the athlete as well. Dunking on people and not just a statue shooter.

Thus is basically meaningless. Any decent senior will get a summer league invite from somebody.

He signed a contract to play with the Cavs summer league team. The Cavs have no actual contractual commitment here. nor does White have any commitment to the Cavs beyond Summer League.

It's an audition for a possible invite to camp, same way DeAndre Liggins and Jordan (not Gordon) McRae made it onto the team for part of last season. I wish him well, but I'd keep my passport handy, a buddy who works in the Euroleague loves living in Germany.

Since the Cavs don't have any talent at small forward, AWIII's path to major PT is ripe for the taking.
C0rver's an amazing 3 pt. Shooter, but he didn't get it done in the playoffs. Maybe the thinking is that AW3 could fill that (rotational 3pt catch-and-shoot) role - the question being, can he can defend at the next level?

C0rver's an amazing 3 pt. Shooter, but he didn't get it done in the playoffs. Maybe the thinking is that AW3 could fill that (rotational 3pt catch-and-shoot) role - the question being, can he can defend at the next level?

That's gotta be considered an extreme long shot at this point. White would be doing amazing just to make the team. This deal basically means he'll get a summer league crack, it doesn't mean he'll be on the Cavs next season.

I doubt White stays on the Cavs unless LeBron falls in love with him. James isn't going to want a rookie to help him win another championship.

Korver is way better than White. People discount Korever. Guy has been a really solid NBA starter and now rotation guy for a long time.
It's kind of like the SU fans who thought GMAC had better NBA prospects than JJ Reddick.

Korver is way better than White. People discount Korever. Guy has been a really solid NBA starter and now rotation guy for a long time.
It's kind of like the SU fans who thought GMAC had better NBA prospects than JJ Reddick.

I hope the Cavs re-sign Korver, looks like they will. I still think that corner shot he took in the last minute of the third game of the Finals is going in. He hits threes on the fly that don't even ruffle the twine. Like butta. And he's a good defender. Great hair, too.

That's gotta be considered an extreme long shot at this point. White would be doing amazing just to make the team. This deal basically means he'll get a summer league crack, it doesn't mean he'll be on the Cavs next season.
Agreed. I'm talking about a backup role to add depth, not necessarily "replacing" Corver -- although he's been in the league 14 years (and he's a free agent this year along with the Jones). They also have JR. Smith, who played well against the Warriors. AW3's not at the same level as either of those players. But with his shooting stroke, he could add depth if he can defend and get shots off at the next level.

There are some things to like about him besides 3 point shooting: 1) he's smart, good BBIQ and doesn't turn the ball over that much; 2) he's very strong and is built to take NBA banging; 3) I think if he uses his body and strength correctly, he can slash to the rim (or stop and pop). He displayed all these skills this past season.

The obvious question is, can he demonstrate all this in summer ball against NBA competition? If he can, I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck somewhere.

Last edited:
The Cavs roster will be in major flux this off season. A knock down 3 pt shooter that can hit the kickout 3 certainly fits on the Cavs roster somewhere. Its a good team for him to get a closer look from. Seriously though...Richard Jefferson, Dahntay Jones and James Jones are 3 players he could replace. Cheaper, Younger now he just has to show he's a better shooter too. Plus no other "draft picks" to compete with. In fact the Cavs don;t have a player on their roster that they drafted since 2011 (T Thomspon). And other than 'Bron & Kyrie no other players they drafted. I guess thats just my long way of saying the kid can shoot and the Cavs like and need shooters. If he gets hot in summer league you have to like his chances.

The point of summer league for UFA is not necessarily about making the team they're playing for, but rather an audition for the rest of the league. Hopefully White plays well, which will garner attention around the league and enhance his chances of getting signed by someone, even if it isn't the Cavs.

Shut up! He did and he still does!
He just chooses not to. "By choice. It's a conscious choice, man."

The point of summer league for UFA is not necessarily about making the team they're playing for, but rather an audition for the rest of the league. Hopefully White plays well, which will garner attention around the league and enhance his chances of getting signed by someone, even if it isn't the Cavs.

Agreed - this is better stated than my "meaningless" comment above. He signed a summer league contract with the Cavs, with neither party really having an obligation beyond summer leauge

If his "tryout" goes well he could well end up with the Cavs as both sides have exposure to each other, but he can sign with any NBA team he wants after summer league. This is not unusual as those that do well at summer league now have a bit more leverage entering preseason tryouts in September, and may choose to shop around a bit.

Agreed. I'm talking about a backup role to add depth, not necessarily "replacing" Corver -- although he's been in the league 14 years (and he's a free agent this year along with the Jones). They also have JR. Smith, who played well against the Warriors. AW3's not at the same level as either of those players. But with his shooting stroke, he could add depth if he can defend and get shots off at the next level.

There are some things to like about him besides 3 point shooting: 1) he's smart, good BBIQ and doesn't turn the ball over that much; 2) he's very strong and is built to take NBA banging; 3) I think if he uses his body and strength correctly, he can slash to the rim (or stop and pop). He displayed all these skills this past season.

The obvious question is, can he demonstrate all this in summer ball against NBA competition? If he can, I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck somewhere.

AWIII is a very good shooter. That being said, he will never - at any point - be someone who can get to the rim at the NBA level. Quickness, agility and ball handling skills are not his strong points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom