Andrew White thread | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.gif

It's annoying when you see the thread updated, click on it, and it's yet another asinine stream of conscious post. And it happens with just about every big-time recruitment thread, football and basketball.

As I said in-thread, there are plenty of seldom used off topic boards to post your goofy thoughts in.

I get the frustration, Frozen. But what did you want? It's an internet forum .. stream of consciousness, randomness, orthogonal diversions, comedy ... and once in a while some really funny and informative stuff. Caveat emptor.

Would you prefer every recruiting thread to contain three posts:

1- He's interested;
2- He's visiting; and
3- He's committing/going elsewhere?

Edit: If you really want frustrating drivel, try the OTB.

Last edited:
What did you want, Frozen? It's an internet forum .. stream of consciousness, randomness, orthogonal diversions, comedy ... and once in a while some really funny and informative stuff. Caveat emptor.

Would you prefer every recruiting thread to contain three posts:

1- He's interested;
2- He's visiting; and
3- He's committing/going elsewhere?

Updated news would be good. New offers from other schools. A comment from the kid himself. A development at another school that puts them out of contention for him. There's a lot that can happen in a kid's recruitment. What the point of seeing that I have seven alerts about that thread and none of the posts have anything to do with the topic?

What, and no Rutgers dumpster fire thread :noidea:

Well there you go! I don't think anyone would have a problem if people used that thread to as their creative/humor outlet - even if it's not about Rutgers.

Well there you go! I don't think anyone would have a problem if people used that thread to as their creative/humor outlet - even if it's not about Rutgers.
Yes, the word "dumpster" in a thread title is a tip-off that the content is going to be random.

But we also have a Humor board.
http://syracusefan.com/forums/humor.34/
Sure, but humor about a recruit fits in recruiting. I'm not sure what the objection is ... people should just skip over stuff they don't find entertaining or informative. That's far better than nanny censorship and petty monitoring like they have on HoyaSaxa.

SF.com is a public forum. Anyone can join and post. There are no credentials, tests or requirements. Therefore, expecting the content to be uniformly logical, well-written, informative, linear and humorous is unrealistic -- as we all know from the daily cesspool of drivel on the OTB.

Last edited:
Sure, but humor about a recruit fits in recruiting. I'm not sure what the objection is ... people should just skip over stuff they don't find entertaining or informative. That's far better than nanny censorship and petty monitoring like they have on HoyaSaxa.

SF.com is a public forum. Anyone can join and post. There are no credentials, tests or requirements. Therefore, expecting the content to be uniformly logical, well-written, informative, linear and humorous is unrealistic -- as we all know from the daily cesspool of drivel on the OTB.
You're doing another annoying Internet thing: Exaggerating an opposing argument. Nobody expects all posts to be logical and on point.

If you have a lot of time to read the board, then going through a few (or a boatload, in this case) of random posts isn't too bad. If you don't have much time and are looking for information, then opening a thread when there are new posts and finding out (for five days straight) that every post is just someone amusing themselves with words is a colossal waste of time and can be tough to take. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to limit that or for mods to discourage it.

The bottom line is that there's a fine line between a few funny posts here and there and pages straight worth of calicuse caliber posts.

The bottom line is that there's a fine line between a few funny posts here and there and pages straight worth of calicuse caliber posts.

I was going to say CaptainJ but either one works :)

You're doing another annoying Internet thing: Exaggerating an opposing argument. Nobody expects all posts to be logical and on point.

If you have a lot of time to read the board, then going through a few (or a boatload, in this case) of random posts isn't too bad. If you don't have much time and are looking for information, then opening a thread when there are new posts and finding out (for five days straight) that every post is just someone amusing themselves with words is a colossal waste of time and can be tough to take. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to limit that or for mods to discourage it.
A few responses:
1. I don't know why you'd be annoyed if you figured out that I was exaggerating for humor (obviously) when I when posted to Tee that impatient people lambaste the "entire thread" as being worthless. Either way, you still have the option of skipping content that doesn't interest you. Instead, my impression is that you seem to be pretty demanding for being on a public sports forum, as though people on here have some responsibility, or are being paid, to inform you instantaneously;
2. What's informative or entertaining is a matter of taste and opinion. Why not let the mods do their job and stay out of it;
3. Some of the "diversions" are annoying; others are extremely funny; and
4. Some of the best discussions I've read in the recruiting forum have to do with technically 0ff-topic discussions as to where the recruit would fit or how he might resemble legacy players and old SU teams, etc.. So drawing the line isn't that easy sometimes (in other cases I agree with you).

Last edited:
Frozen said:
is there a way to block that thread completely? It's stupid already.

Don't follow the thread. I aborted mission on the TT tread and have done the same with AW. I just don't have time to wade through the endless BS to get the good info. No skin off my back. Obviously many other posters are enjoying it so let them have at it.

Mods allowed a lot of leeway which is appropriate for the off season. Things usually tend to regulate themselves most of the time except during a crisis. AW hopefully won't reach crisis status.

Now it's pages and pages of people posting "here is my starting line up"."No, mine's better". That's so much more informative and interesting. It may have strayed off topic but it least it was mildly entertaining while there's no new info.

Now it's pages and pages of people posting "here is my starting line up"."No, mine's better". That's so much more informative and interesting. It may have strayed off topic but it least it was mildly entertaining while there's no new info.
But they're on topic
big smile.jpg

Just look at the thread title and see if it changes to committed to Syracuse or somewhere else.

If there a change in status, a new thread should be started.

Personally, I have no use for mega threads. I see the board stats daily. The mega thread views quickly become little more than the same few people talking to each other.

The most common "exit location" (when a person leaves the site) for new visitors, are the mega threads. They look at the first page, then leave.

So basically it's asking too much for you not to read or post in threads if you aren't interested in the discussion? That's weird - I manage to do that every day on here rather than go in and derail the discussion for those interested in it. The responsibility should be on us to wade through a bunch of nonsense posts with you guys circle jerking with each other even though we're the ones using the board for it's intended purpose to discuss Syracuse basketball?

Is there anything else we can do to accommodate you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom