Andrew White | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White

Lydon and White could easily drop by the end of the year. We will be chucking up a bunch of 3s trying to erase 20 point deficits. Interesting no G Mac. It goes down to shooting only when open vs. creating shots. If G Mac were wide open, he felt almost automatic.

Trevor says hello.
:cool:

Stats are what they are. But I'm talking in terms of pure shooters... white is top 10. Probably top 5.

Rautins
Gmac
Janulis
White?
GMac a pure shooter? Decent shooter, maybe even very good, but I wouldn't say he was one of our best shooters ever...

GMac a pure shooter? Decent shooter, maybe even very good, but I wouldn't say he was one of our best shooters ever...

Yep, people get confused by this. I'd say he was one of our most dangerous shooters and a good one but we have had better pure shooters. He was very clutch in big moments and you tend to remember those the most as time goes on. I think he was a better shooter than the numbers indicated because he didn't have enough help down the stretch of his career so defenses keyed on him. Still he has the most maid 3's in orange and always had the attention of the defense because he could go off in any game.

Stats are what they are. But I'm talking in terms of pure shooters... white is top 10. Probably top 5.

Rautins
Gmac
Janulis
White?
We agree. Top stats don't always equal top shooters due to volume. White is definitely top 10. Can't argue with that. Rautins was the best by senior year, but he was less consistent early in his career Marius had the best form, but wasn't a very big part of the offense for most of his time here. G Mac is very debatable. He was a gunner and memories tend to cloud the vision. Personally I probably value him too high (top 5) because I saw him drain 10-15 in a row during warmups a bunch of times (saw more games in person then). You could add Wes and Southerland (more of a top 20, but had a high peak) to the debate too. Shumpert too. He had to carry some of our less impresive teams

G-Mac deserves all the love he gets, but what about the other Irish assassin?

Yes, that's right, Trevor Cooney. One of the wildest, craziest shooters in Syracuse history.

This years team really brings JB's "Not 10 games" quote into perspective. It has made me appreciate GMac's senior year even more because he was the entire difference between that team being able to win a freaking BET and this years team. One could argue this team has more overall talent and yet I think the chances of this team being able to do something like are vanishingly small.

Some people seem down on him due to his less than stellar D, but he has been every bit of what we brought him in for. No? Dude is easily a top 10 shooter in Cuse history. He is the least of our problems.

If we could get an Andrew White every year, sign me up.
I agree. I don't have a problem with White. If only we had a point guard. It's amazing how many problems would be solved.

While GMac wasn't spectacular percentage wise, JB calls him the best clutch shooter we ever had.

Am I crazy or should Greg Monroe and Matt Roe be on that list?

They had the old, much shorter 3pt line back then.

And yes - they both shot a higher % than the guys on this list - in large part because it was an easier shot then.
(and both played on teams where they were like Option # 4 or 5 for scoring, so opponents didn't game-plan against them)

They had the old, much shorter 3pt line back then.

And yes - they both shot a higher % than the guys on this list - in large part because it was an easier shot then.
(and both played on teams where they were like Option # 4 or 5 for scoring, so opponents didn't game-plan against them)

The main reason those two guys shot better was because they were better shooters; your Option 5 explanation also accounts for some of it. The closer line -- not much shorter, but about 13 inches, I think -- probably had something to do with it, but not much. And it's an apples-to-apples comparison among Roe and Monroe and most guys on the other list - the line change happened quite recently. 2009, if I'm not mistaken. McNamara, Shumpert, Wallace, and most of the other guys also shot from 19'9".

The main reason those two guys shot better was because they were better shooters; your Option 5 explanation also accounts for some of it. The closer line -- not much shorter, but about 13 inches, I think -- probably had something to do with it, but not much. And it's an apples-to-apples comparison among Roe and Monroe and most guys on the other list - the line change happened quite recently. 2009, if I'm not mistaken. McNamara, Shumpert, Wallace, and most of the other guys also shot from 19'9".

Greg Monroe has gone on to have a decent NBA career with the Pistons and Bucks...who says Syracuse players do not do well in the NBA?

Greg Monroe has gone on to have a decent NBA career with the Pistons and Bucks...who says Syracuse players do not do well in the NBA?

That growth spurt after graduation had a lot to do with it.

Look at the years.

On White: I love watching the guy shoot. It is just a pure shot. Lydon is fantastic as well. It really is nice to have such good shooters. It's so funny how different this team is from any other Syracuse team of this decade. If you put MCW on this team instead of Gillon, we'd probably be undefeated. He sparked the defense and was effective at running the offense even though he wasn't much of a shooting threat.

You're talking about the MCW who didn't start fast breaks for the other team with that jump pass behind him from under the basket...

But I agree. His length and activity at the top of the zone were both excellent. Once he figured out how to run the offense, pretty nice player.