Andy Pettitte is incredible | Syracusefan.com

Andy Pettitte is incredible

longislandcuse

Living Legend
With the Yankees on a 3 game losing streak, Andy does what Andy does. He is the ultimate stopper. One of the most clutch pitchers to ever play the game. Dude is in his second game back after a year off, a month away from turning 40, went out there and pitched 8 masterful innings, striking out nine, allowing zero runs in a Yankee win. Words cant describe what Andy has and still does mean to the Yankees.

It was a great performance and the Yankees did need a win, but I think you are overstating things bit.

It was a great performance and the Yankees did need a win, but I think you are overstating things bit.
How so? Im 29 so you may have a longer timespan than I have but Pettitte is part of the Core 4 which is legendary even for the Yankees.. For the most part he was the stopper in the Playoffs whenever we needed a win. He's one of the most clutch performers in recent history for any sport imo. As for yesterday to come out and stop a 3 game losing streak after a year off, pitching 8 innings with 9 k's and no runs is pretty special in itself, especially with the yankee bats quiet and the rotation not living up to expectations.

Come on, he saved the season in game 39. It was a must win situation. A little bird told me so. ;)

The last time Andy went 8.0 IP, allowed no runs and struck out at least nine was 9/16/97 vs. Boston.

Thats a pretty corny insult but ok sure. I think most Yankee fans would agree with me that Pettitte has been bigtime clutch for us. He won every deciding series game during our last World Series run and has been labeled "the stopper" for winning games after we have lost one, especially in the playoffs. My post was more on what he "has" (past tense) meant to the Yankees, but also pretty awesome that he could pitch like he did yesterday after a year off, in his second start of the year, a month away from turning 40.

How so?
I don't necessarily reject the notion that he is "clutch," although I don't care for the media and fan obsession with labeling players as "clutch" or "chokers." With some exceptions, I think most players' post season or "clutch" numbers will mirror their overall career numbers with a large enough sample size. Andy Pettitte's career regular season winning percentage and ERA are almost identical to his career postseason winning percentage and ERA. The idea that he somehow gets extra powers in a big spot is nonsense. He wins more often than he loses because he is good.

It was one game of 162. They all count the same. If the Yankees lost the game, they would have been 5 games out instead of 4 1/2. It didn't really determine the season.

He won every deciding series game during our last World Series run
Off the top of my head, I recall him getting destroyed in Game 6 of the 2001 World Series and Game 6 of 2003 League Championship Series. Again, he is a great pitcher that wins more than he loses.

I don't necessarily reject the notion that he is "clutch," although I don't care for the media and fan obsession with labeling players as "clutch" or "chokers." With some exceptions, I think most players' post season or "clutch" numbers will mirror their overall career numbers with a large enough sample size. Andy Pettitte's career regular season winning percentage and ERA are almost identical to his career postseason winning percentage and ERA. The idea that he somehow gets extra powers in a big spot is nonsense. He wins more often than he loses because he is good.

It was one game of 162. They all count the same. If the Yankees lost the game, they would have been 5 games out instead of 4 1/2. It didn't really determine the season.
I didnt mean it to be like that. I was just talking in terms of him coming back when people doubted him. Time off, age, being rusty and then putting up a performance like that yesterday. It was pretty cool to see.

Going off topic a bit, players caught taking performance enhancing drugs should look to Pettitte as a model. His reputation, particularly with us Yankee fans, doesn't appear to have been damaged at all.

Pettitte has definitely gotten lit up in the playoffs before, but hey, you throw enough innings in the playoffs, that'll happen.

The Yankees guys give you a good chance at looking at "clutch" performers in the sense that Jeter, Pettitte, Posada, and Bernie have made so many appearances in the playoffs that the sample size is actually kinda large.

Pettitte has made 42 playoff starts, so more than a season; he has a career 3.83 ERA as compared to 3.87 for his regular season career. Jeter has a career 833 OPS in the regular season, 839 in the playoffs. Bernie had a career 858 regular season OPS, 850 for his playoff career. Posada has a career 848 OPS in the regular season, 750 in the playoffs. (I wonder if catchers hit worse than you';d expect in the playoffs because they get worn down?)

Rivera of course is a cyborg.

Going off topic a bit, players caught taking performance enhancing drugs should look to Pettitte as a model. His reputation, particularly with us Yankee fans, doesn't appear to have been damaged at all.

It's actually incredible. He lied about it multiple times!

It appears that he is truthful when he says he only took them for rehab purposes. Obviously we dont know for sure but if that was the case I do view it differently than someone taking them while healthy. He also used HGH not Anabolic Steroids which I think plays a part.

It appears that he is truthful when he says he only took them for rehab purposes. Obviously we dont know for sure but if that was the case I do view it differently than someone taking them while healthy. He also used HGH not Anabolic Steroids which I think plays a part.

The only problem I have with this is he lied about when he took it. He said he only took it one time to rehab, then it turns out he took it other times as well. So his credibility isn't exactly the best. Speaking of credibility, I am only half following the clemens-mcnamee thing, but shouldn't mcnamee be charged with perjury? Seems like he has changed his story multiple times. Also, I'm not saying it's ok to use roids or whatever, but should the government really be that worried about it?

On the HGH vs Steroids thing; I don't know for sure but I think the thought is most people who use at the higher levels use HGH because it's harder to detect in tests? I also don't believe it is any less effective than anabolic steroids, but I will also plead a pretty high level of ignorance on that as well.

And to bring it back to baseball; Andy Pettitte; hall of famer?

Off the top of my head, I recall him getting destroyed in Game 6 of the 2001 World Series and Game 6 of 2003 League Championship Series. Again, he is a great pitcher that wins more than he loses.

He was tipping his pitches in 2001 in both of his starts where he was absolutely destroyed. The D'Backs knew what was coming before it was coming.

this is a quote from Jay Bell:

"We went up against Andy Pettitte in Game 6," Bell said. "We knew it was going to be a tough game, but fortunately we picked up something in his delivery to allow us to have a clear picture of what he was going to throw."

With Pettitte tipping his pitches by the way he held his glove, the Diamondbacks "took good swings at him," Bell said, knocked him out of the game in the third inning and romped past the Yankees, 15-2.

Bell said he believed it was Steve Finley, the team's center fielder, who spotted the telltale signs. "He's pretty good at that," Bell said. "A lot of times he sees stuff nobody else sees."

In 2003 Game 6 he lost 2-0. Thats the hitters not doing their job. Beckett was unbelievable that night.

He was tipping his pitches in 2001 in both of his starts where he was absolutely destroyed. The D'Backs knew what was coming before it was coming. and in 2003 Game 6 he lost 2-0. Thats the hitters not doing their job. Beckett was unbelievable that night.

That was the world series. Game 6 of the LCS was against Boston; 4 runs in 5 innings.

The only problem I have with this is he lied about when he took it. He said he only took it one time to rehab, then it turns out he took it other times as well. So his credibility isn't exactly the best. Speaking of credibility, I am only half following the clemens-mcnamee thing, but shouldn't mcnamee be charged with perjury? Seems like he has changed his story multiple times. Also, I'm not saying it's ok to use roids or whatever, but should the government really be that worried about it?

On the HGH vs Steroids thing; I don't know for sure but I think the thought is most people who use at the higher levels use HGH because it's harder to detect in tests? I also don't believe it is any less effective than anabolic steroids, but I will also plead a pretty high level of ignorance on that as well.

Ive been with people who have done HGH and Anabolic Steroids. In my view, steroids are much, much more powerful.

McNamee said he kept other players results in a beer can with Clemens? Is that the new big thing, seems like a huge deal, no?

I would vote Pettitte for HOF, but thats just because according to br801 im his mother ;)

It apparently helps to be a God-fearing man with a likable personality.

You could make an argument he is HOF worthy. He has more postseason wins than anyone ever. He is known as a Big Game stopper. In the last 20 years there has been no bigger game pitcher. He has out dueled some of the greats. Smoltz & Pedro immediately come to mind. With the exception of getting blown up in '01 (as my last post shows he was tipping pitches) He has been unbelievable whenever The Yanks needed it.

ps. This whole Clemens thing is BS. Our money is being wasted on a witch hunt to get Clemens in jail. They still have a terrible case and he will probably win again. A second time! Clemens had a truly great Career. The fact is he was pitching against people using the same stuff he was using (allegedly) It was a pretty even playing field to be honest. They all say he didn't start using until the late 90's. He had a HOF career in his first 12 years! He was great on The Jays and became a great Yankee! We as fans were fortunate to have him and Andy. That is not even mentioning Mussina and El Duque before him. (btw El Duque also had balls of steel in big games). It really has been a great 17 years to be a Yankee fan!

If anyone cares, his playoff game logs. He had some bad ones, though he made 42 starts, of course he had some bad ones

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=pettian01&t=p&post=1

My first thought was Pettitte isn''t a HOF. I went back and double checked; he's a stronger maybe than I thought. He was really good, though rarely great. There are worse pitchers in the hall, but there are better pitchers than him who won't make it.

You beat me to it
With the Yankees on a 3 game losing streak, Andy does what Andy does. He is the ultimate stopper. One of the most clutch pitchers to ever play the game. Dude is in his second game back after a year off, a month away from turning 40, went out there and pitched 8 masterful innings, striking out nine, allowing zero runs in a Yankee win. Words cant describe what Andy has and still does mean to the Yankees.
but Holy Cow Andy Pettite. I loved his "slider cutter with arm action pushing the pitch at a 10 to 5 angle . Almost impossible to hit if it doesn't hang up in the zone. You would think that the younger pitchers would learn by just watching. A couple home runs when base hits would be just as effective always help the scoring.

He damaged it with me with his walk it up to the border of perjury a couple of weeks ago at the Clemens re-trial.

I
He damaged it with me with his walk it up to the border of perjury a couple of weeks ago at the Clemens re-trial.
don't think Andy was try to be misleading. After all those years I doubt he could remember vibatum what Roger said. He could fill in the blanks and put away his friend or be honest which I think he was.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom