angry and sad or sad and angry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

angry and sad or sad and angry

Neil is spot on and I have posted the same thing previously. We are going to have more traditional football rivals where we are going than where we currently are. If you look at our schedule from the late 60's, there will be more of those teams on it where we are going than where we currently are.

Traditional Eastern football went the way of the dinosaur when Colagte, Cornell, and Holy Cross dropped off the slate eons ago. PSU was really the only other one left and that ship sailed when they joined the B10.

Other than that, Louisville, Cincy, and USF aren't traditional rivals. BC is, and we're getting them back. Miami is and we're getting them back. Maryland actually is and we're getting them back. VT was a rival for a long time in the "old Big East" and we're getting them back. And of course, Pitt is going with us.

WVU and Rutgers are the only longterm rivals not in the package (UConn is not a longterm rival). Who knows...as much as I don't like the idea, Rutgers could even end up in the ACC.

So when you get right down to it, we're actually moving to a more traditional list of eastern foes than what we have had in recent years. It's more Back to the Future than first meets the eye.
i dont understand why this is so hard to understand...understand??

today i have witnessed the loss of yet another rival wvu, to whatever conference. it doesn't matter which one. this speaks to the loss of the old mans game of traditional eastern football. i speak for myself, once we lost psu and now wvu, the old rivalries are gone you're right if you say i am melonchany (sp), but this is the time as i said in another thread,that football and the old traditions have passed me by, and it is now a youngers persons game, rightfully so. after many years of waiting to be able to afford the season tickets, rather that going to game day tickets -- i may have to give them up--because it is not fun anymore. i guess i am with jimmy b on this one.someone will no doubt buy my seats, i'm not concerned ---but i hope they have the same bleed orange mentality---times change.--some times old timers do not---but in my own way--maybe i graduated--to saturday afternoon golf?

It seems that you are lamenting the end of "eastern football" as opposed to "Big East Football."

"Eastern football" ended years ago when Penn State opted for the Big Ten.

What we have been playing for years has not been what you fondly recall.

With the move to the ACC we will continue to play our longtime rivals Pitt and BC and will re-engergize another longtime rivalry, Maryland. Plus we will re-establish the great Va Tech and Miami rivalries that everybody enjoyed in the 1990s.

And to top it off we get to see Florida State, Clemson and Ga Tech in the Dome.

If you can't get excited about any of that then you probably should go play golf.

I know that I will be having fun in the Dome.

It seems that you are lamenting the end of "eastern football" as opposed to "Big East Football."

"Eastern football" ended years ago when Penn State opted for the Big Ten.

What we have been playing for years has not been what you fondly recall.

With the move to the ACC we will continue to play our longtime rivals Pitt and BC and will re-engergize another longtime rivalry, Maryland. Plus we will re-establish the great Va Tech and Miami rivalries that everybody enjoyed in the 1990s.

And to top it off we get to see Florida State, Clemson and Ga Tech in the Dome.

If you can't get excited about any of that then you probably should go play golf.

I know that I will be having fun in the Dome.

Absolutely! I cannot for the life of me understand what the hand-wringing is all about. Unless it's Bball inspired.

This started for me in 2003, and ever since that time I've spent way too much time thinking about how the BE would survive. I'm sad to see the BE lose out. And while I've been no fan of the ACC especially since the raid in 2003, I'm very happy that SU is going to a conference with a future. The ACC played the money game and won, and the BE was stuck reacting, focusing on survival and lost. In the end I think JB is right, we'll know in 10 years how healthy any of this is.

today i have witnessed the loss of yet another rival wvu, to whatever conference. it doesn't matter which one. this speaks to the loss of the old mans game of traditional eastern football. i speak for myself, once we lost psu and now wvu, the old rivalries are gone you're right if you say i am melonchany (sp), but this is the time as i said in another thread,that football and the old traditions have passed me by, and it is now a youngers persons game, rightfully so. after many years of waiting to be able to afford the season tickets, rather that going to game day tickets -- i may have to give them up--because it is not fun anymore. i guess i am with jimmy b on this one.someone will no doubt buy my seats, i'm not concerned ---but i hope they have the same bleed orange mentality---times change.--some times old timers do not---but in my own way--maybe i graduated--to saturday afternoon golf?

The response from forum fans is universally positive. The feeling in the community is much more 50/50. While the move is $$ positive I can see a negative effect on FB attendance. Only time will tell.

WVU and Rutgers are the only longterm rivals not in the package (UConn is not a longterm rival). Who knows...as much as I don't like the idea, Rutgers could even end up in the ACC.

Agree with what you say. Moving to the ACC is better for our long time rivalries. I will miss playing WV, but not RU. RU was always a boring game and only became interesting the last 5 years because we have been awful and they have been mediocre. Going forward it will be boring again. Plus we really didn't play them all that much pre BE. Here is a list of D1A teams we played at least 10 times prior to the BE...

PSU 68
Pitt 46
WV 38
MD 32
BC 31
Navy 27
Temple 22
RU 21
Army 20
Mich St 13
Nebraska 12
Illinois/Miami/Mich 10

They were 8th highest and have only moved up because of the BE. Even now they are only 5th and will be passed by MD in 8 years.

The response from forum fans is universally positive. The feeling in the community is much more 50/50. While the move is $$ positive I can see a negative effect on FB attendance. Only time will tell.

Are you serious? No one wants to see SU vs UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville, or USF. The only BE game SU fans care about is WV. They used to care about Miami, VT, and BC when those schools were in the BE. Now we have them back along with a bunch more interesting matchups than the current BE. Attendance will easily go up.

Being born 4 years after the Carrier Dome was built I have no recollection of the times in which you speak so I can't pretend to comprehend your feelings on this.

However being a fan since 1994 I am more than happy to be in line to play Miami, Va Tech, and BC once again. Add to that the fact that Pitt is coming with us and we have Penn State on the OOC slate in the future this whole move becomes extremely appealing to me. Going one step further, with BC no longer as an OOC game it will open up the potential to add a Big 12 WVU to schedule.

You could potentially see a dream season (in terms of what you're looking for) where we play an OOC schedule of Colgate, WVU, and PSU in addition to conference games vs Pitt, BC, Miami, Va Tech. Add to that the fact that we replace Cinci, Rutgers, Lville, UConn, USF with Clemson, Maryland, FSU, UVA, UNC, etc. and Syracuse football becomes quite a bit more relavent.

I feel a bit of a loss for some of the basketball rivalries however I'm hoping to keep most those alive OOC as well in addition to adding some good ACC matchups to the mix.

Syracuse football will be closer to days of old, and basketball will remain a force as will lax.

More importantly, with the move, we are all assured Syracuse will remain a top level team to cheer for in all sports moving forward. This move needed to happen and if you give it a chance you might actually enjoy the results. Hate to lose any fans, even the old timers!

I must confess I had an initial take similar to yours. SU leaving the northeast to play in a league I'd been trained to hate was not high on my list of paradigm shifts. So I've debated it endlessly with myself and a few others with these conclusions: SU as an institution is now a player on a national level which is better supported by the ACC connection than the Big East, i.e. academic, research, etc.; college football is now primarily about money and the Big East chose not to compete for the money a good football conference could bring - the ACC is a better financial option; a true Atlantic Coast Conference from north to south may be what we've all wanted for a while, i.e. playing in a geographic conference that makes sense; we can still schedule our traditional rivals in football & basketball though it will never be the same kind of routine; SU sports are working hard to develop & maintain national prominence with the entire eastern seaboard being an appropriate venue for the school & alumni, i.e. SU has a strong fan base from Boston to Miami. Lastly, for me, I'm much closer now to more games. Other than less regular games against WVU, GTown, Villanova, UConn, etc., I don't see a downside.

Are you serious? No one wants to see SU vs UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville, or USF. The only BE game SU fans care about is WV. They used to care about Miami, VT, and BC when those schools were in the BE. Now we have them back along with a bunch more interesting matchups than the current BE. Attendance will easily go up.

Yes I am serious. There is a whole world outside of this board and the sucess of the move will be decided there not by us.

Yes I am serious. There is a whole world outside of this board and the sucess of the move will be decided there not by us.

The casual fan we're trying to attract back to the dome would much rather see FSU than USF, Clemson than Rutgers, etc. Seeing ranked teams on the schedule does alot to change perception and interest. Last Friday was our only ranked opponent on the schedule and the crowd showed up for it.

The notion that Va Tech, Florida State, BC, Miami and Clemson will draw less than Louisville or Cincinatti is mind boggling to me.

FSU, Va Tech, Clemson and at least until recently, Miami, are truly big time programs with national reputations far beyond those of So. Florida, UConn or Rutgers.

The move to the ACC is brilliant for football, lacrosse, other olympic sports and even basketball - I can't wait to see MD, Duke, NC State and NC in the Dome during the winter!

:crazy: So you are saying the casual fan cares more about the current BE FB teams, who we have been playing for 5 years, more than playing Top 25 programs and teams we have a long history with? LOL. That is a good one. If that is the case then why did BC do so well last year for attendance, yet the UConn game which was for the drivers seat in the BE had no one show up? Same for the Louisville game. Why did less people come out for RU this year than BC last year?

If you want to make that argument in BBall, fine. But in FB your either crazy or lying.

:crazy: So you are saying the casual fan cares more about the current BE FB teams, who we have been playing for 5 years, more than playing Top 25 programs and teams we have a long history with? LOL. That is a good one. If that is the case then why did BC do so well last year for attendance, yet the UConn game which was for the drivers seat in the BE had no one show up? Same for the Louisville game. Why did less people come out for RU this year than BC last year?

If you want to make that argument in BBall, fine. But in FB your either crazy or lying.

Agree, fans see our big oppnents the same they did 15 years ago. Miami, VT, BC, Pitt, will draw for sure. Clemson and FSU will as well. Big East football died more than 6 weeks ago people

As I am from roughly the same era as Tipp I can relate to where he is coming from...I get his point...but I think the ACC move is terrific. It has much more of an eastern feel to it than the bastardized BEFB conferencel we have been in and now there are better brand names coming to the dome.

Sorry, but Louisville, USF, Cincy, UConn, Rutgers don't do it for me. Playing them is like buying a generic drug when you want the real deal. Rutgers a rival? If you are 25 years old you might think so. For me, they are a schedule filler never to be missed. UConn might as well be Towson. The only reason we lost to them is because the bottom fell out of our program.

The faster we can get out of this temporary, generic mess of a FB conference the better.

So, now these teams will be replaced with VT, VA, Miami, MD, FSU, Clemson,BC, Wake, NC State, UNC, even Duke,and Pitt still isin the fold.

So with this line up you think attendance will drop? You have to be kidding us.

With Marrone rebuilding the program the way he is, and with vastly better brand names coming to the dome you had better buy your season tix soon because attendance will only increase.

Jim, I like the cut of your jib.

Great post.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors