Annual Away Games Ranked | Syracusefan.com

Annual Away Games Ranked

The only thing you might have missed is odds of someone acting like a drunken fool at Liberty = 100%

flying into Balt instead of DC was much cheaper for me for all the games I looked at going to.

Looks great Mark! I would add Greensboro has a decent little airport that you can get to Durham in an hour from.

I wrote an article for NunesMagician.com and it just got published.

What are you top choices? Was I off-base on anything?

Just for "eye test" purposes, I think Maryland is head and shoulders the best trip. College Park is a dump, but the fact that the weather will be warm, DC is very easy for anyone to get to, and it's a nationally televised game to transition us into the biggest Dome game of this generation. I put it #1. But I like your methodology overall.

The only thing you might have missed is odds of someone acting like a drunken fool at Liberty = 100%
Yeah, I´m inviting the UConn Mac n Cheese kid as our honored guess

Last edited:
For the Florida St game, I suggest checking out Destin if you want to go to the beach. A little further away (2hr drive or so) but way nicer than Panama City.
I am currently on St George Island for vacation (next to Apalachicola). Not overly impressed (they call this area the Redneck Riviera for a reason). Lots of nice places to stay between Panama City and Destin (route 30A). Destin is awesome if you have kids.

For the Florida St game, I suggest checking out Destin if you want to go to the beach. A little further away (2hr drive or so) but way nicer than Panama City.
I am currently on St George Island for vacation (next to Apalachicola). Not overly impressed (they call this area the Redneck Riviera for a reason). Lots of nice places to stay between Panama City and Destin (route 30A). Destin is awesome if you have kids.
I agree (I lived a few miles north of Destin from 1995-2000) but I was trying to make it simple and gave them closer choices. Are you coming down for the game?

Great article. Interesting photo they chose there...

I guess for the Fine Mess folks tailgating at Stadium Lot as shown in that pic would count as an "away" tailgate. Checks out... lol

Great article. Interesting photo they chose there...

I guess for the Fine Mess folks tailgating at Stadium Lot as shown in that pic would count as an "away" tailgate. Checks out... lol
John Cassillo chose all the photos.

Great read.

Soooo... be honest. If you were to do a similar write up, for a different fanbase, where would you put cuse in your rankings. Without the orange glasses.

Great read.

Soooo... be honest. If you were to do a similar write up, for a different fanbase, where would you put cuse in your rankings. Without the orange glasses.
Really depends on which month the game is scheduled. Honestly it would probably be around the middle. I´d have to treat the Dome as a plus in Oct and Nov but a minus in September...but the outside weather is more an issue in November.

Just for "eye test" purposes, I think Maryland is head and shoulders the best trip. College Park is a dump, but the fact that the weather will be warm, DC is very easy for anyone to get to, and it's a nationally televised game to transition us into the biggest Dome game of this generation. I put it #1. But I like your methodology overall.
Also, I'm a little surprised, possibly offended, that getting the chance to meet OttoinGrotto wasn't a factor.

Because that would have pushed Maryland over the top.

I used to go to SGI from Atlanta as well, i liked it, Apalachicola for oysters, 20% of domestic oyster production or some such stat.

I agree (I lived a few miles north of Destin from 1995-2000) but I was trying to make it simple and gave them closer choices. Are you coming down for the game?
No plans but Oct 26th is my bday, that would make a nice gift (will have to talk to my boss/wife). A better gift would be a SU beat down of the Noles.

I used to go to SGI from Atlanta as well, i liked it, Apalachicola for oysters, 20% of domestic oyster production or some such stat.
SGI is definitely more laid back, a lot of nice houses to rent as opposed to all of the condo towers in other areas. Surprised at how run down certain areas are though.
Not many rainy day activities around here for the kids (grrr tropical storm Barry).

I would rank it differently.

NC State isn’t all that attractive of an opponent on a Saturday. On a Thursday forget about it. Add in Duke being the same year and not too different location wise. They should be last.

Louisville is another unattractive team to play. And it is late November. 5th place.

Liberty is unattractive and is hard to get to. Add in that you waste your last holiday weekend in the summer and you get 4th place.

FSU is down so that takes a little away from the game. Another not so easy to get to place. 3rd place.

Duke hits most of what you want in a road trip. If it were a month or two earlier the weather would be great too. Lack of atmosphere hurts though. 2nd

The whole season hinges on the MD game. Location is easy to get to but not much around. If you drive you can hit some nice places on the way back to Syracuse. Being a noon game though sucks. The importance of the game though has to make it #1.

I stopped eating them raw after reading too many scare articles...damn it was fun to sit at a Florida gulf-front bar pounding beer and raw oysters on the half-shell (just a wee bit of cocktail or hot sauce)

I used to go to Destin/Okaloosa Island on military trips. It was way back in the mid/late 80's when Destin was not ruined by high rise condos and had little traffic.

Last edited:
Wait who thinks Louisville is underrated?

I thought the general consensus was that it’s a great city.

SGI is definitely more laid back, a lot of nice houses to rent as opposed to all of the condo towers in other areas. Surprised at how run down certain areas are though.
Not many rainy day activities around here for the kids (grrr tropical storm Barry).
We like Santa Rosa Beach. If you want crazy you can still hit Destin. If you want something cute you can hit Watercolor (still hoping that the Red Bar gets rebuilt). If you want to chill, you just stay put and relax on the beach or by the pool, etc..

I'm all in on the Louisville trip.

An ideal trip for me is brews and battlefields. Louisville has brews (lots of breweries downtown), Kentucky has battlefields (Perryville is an hour away). But the good news doesn't stop there. This trip will have birthplaces (Lincoln), bourbon (Duh), and Babers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom