Another dumb OT thread: prettiest country you've visited... | Syracusefan.com

Another dumb OT thread: prettiest country you've visited...

cto

Administrator
I recently returned from a trip to eight Baltic countries... and I totally (and unexpectedly) fell in love with Norway. The mountains, the fjords, the waterfalls, the pastoral panoramas, the quaint rural villages...were just amazing. I've been to many "exotic" places, and more than 40 countries, but Norway was such an unexpected treat.

Just curious as to what other neat places (that you have loved) that I may have missed -- and would like to visit.

Switzerland
The Alps, waking up, looking out the window and there is the Matterhorn. People are very hospitable, food and wine excellent, slower pace, flowers everywhere.
In close second the Alsace region of France, old villages, flowers, food and wine to die for, slow pace of life.

When I was 23 I took a ski trip to Zermatt Switzerland. I flew into Zurich, and we took a bus on down. One of the most gorgeous views I have ever seen. Zermatt is close to the Matterhorn.

Matterhorn.jpg

British Columbia is also gorgeous.

When I was 23 I took a ski trip to Zermatt Switzerland. I flew into Zurich, and we took a bus on down. One of the most gorgeous views I have ever seen. Zermatt is close to the Matterhorn.

Matterhorn.jpg

British Columbia is also gorgeous.
Zermatt is the place I was referring to in my previous post, but in summer.

Austria and Switzerland are 1-2 for me. Took the train from Rome to Geneva (Europe, not Central NY) and going through the Alps was truly memorable. Austria, however, is not only scenic, but culturally beautiful as well. St. Stephen's Square is amazing.

Iceland. Taken four bicycle trips there. Glaciers, lagoons with icebergs, majestic waterfalls, dramatic coastlines (cliffs to the oceans edge), birdlife galore (puffins, skuas), beautiful vistas, geysirs, black sand beaches, the gap between two continental plates that you can walk in, boiling mud pits, tremendous rivers. Even going as slow as you do on a bike you see something marvelous every couple of minutes.

St. Maarten. Half Dutch, half French. The French side has it going on,...er,.off. Very nice scenery.

For landscapes, Switzerland (Lauderbrunnen Valley near Interlaken) and New Zealand (South Island near Queenstown & Milford Sound)

For beach, the Maldives (absolutely gorgeous)

PS: Forgot about geological landscapes. Southern Utah - Amazing landscapes unlike anywhere else in the world. Also, agree about Iceland.

St. Maarten. Half Dutch, half French. The French side has it going on,...er,.off. Very nice scenery.

We went there for our honeymoon. We stayed on the Dutch side but close to the border of the French side.

To answer the original question: Italy.

Interlaken, Switzerland
Salzburg, Austria

Snow capped mountains, even though I remember it to be fairly warm - mid 70s at least.

Yes! Watching the sun come up thorough the water on the horizon at the break of day atop Peak Paradise! Marigot is like being in the south of France.

I haven't been too many places but for me Italy would be the answer to places outside of home.

Tuscany, mountains, the Mediterranean, art, architecture, Sicily, etc

Can't wait to go back.

For the states, without a doubt: the Adirondacks.