Another Example - John Thompson: HUGE Phony | Syracusefan.com

Another Example - John Thompson: HUGE Phony

Col. Bleep

All American
Great educator...cared only about recruiting players regardless of background (see also Michael Graham and John Turner). Here's Steve Francis:

“It was almost Georgetown,” Francis said. “But I’ll never forget the conversation I had with John Thompson. He said, ‘Steve, we like you. We do. But I just had Allen Iverson. I can’t have you right after Allen. I just can’t have it, Steve. I’ll have a heart attack.’

“I respected it. He was right. He saw all those hangers-on who were around Allen all the time at Georgetown, and he knew they’d just be waiting for me to come through. So my junior year, when I was already 21 years old, I transferred to Maryland.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/how-ex-knicks-star-went-from-selling-crack-to-the-franchise/

The Washington Post sports staff and the local talk radio heads were silent all during the JT era. He brought thug after thug in, used them and then ran them off. The number of transfers out of GU was startling.

But the local press was cowed by the threat of being called racists for even suggesting somethings weren't right. The national press also.

He skated close to the line. I guess he sensed bringing Francis in was too big a risk.

The fact that Georgetown played like a bunch of undisciplined scumbags through his tenure shows that it was more about winning than anything else, by far.

Great educator...cared only about recruiting players regardless of background (see also Michael Graham and John Turner). Here's Steve Francis:

“It was almost Georgetown,” Francis said. “But I’ll never forget the conversation I had with John Thompson. He said, ‘Steve, we like you. We do. But I just had Allen Iverson. I can’t have you right after Allen. I just can’t have it, Steve. I’ll have a heart attack.’

“I respected it. He was right. He saw all those hangers-on who were around Allen all the time at Georgetown, and he knew they’d just be waiting for me to come through. So my junior year, when I was already 21 years old, I transferred to Maryland.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/how-ex-knicks-star-went-from-selling-crack-to-the-franchise/

Oh, hey. Where does the time go?

Look at that. It’s 620 and Georgetown continues to suck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom