Another great coaching move from Boeheim re: Chukwu | Syracusefan.com

Another great coaching move from Boeheim re: Chukwu

RF2044

Living Legend
I haven't seen this discussed much here, but just a few games ago Chukwu was pulled from the starting lineup and benched. He barely played one game, in fact, with JB making some vague excuse at the post-game press conference alluding to him having some mysterious injury.

Boeheim benched a senior starter, who was an important cog in last year's post-season run, and didn't play him in one game.

Looks like Chukwu got the message -- 18 rebounds at Duke, and he's been much more active in every game since. He's such a "flow" player that when he's active, even his shot blocking seems to pick up. And now he's finishing shots inside in a way that he never seemed to do this year. He "earned" back his starting role.

Masterful move by JB. Sure, the kid had to respond to it, which is no sure thing -- but it looks like Chukwu got the message loud and clear, and Boeheim's subtle coaching strategy paid off.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this discussed much here, but just a few games ago Chukwu was pulled from the starting lineup and benched. He barely played one game, in fact, with JB making some vague excuse at the post-game press conference alluding to him having some mysterious injury.

Boeheim benched a senior starter, who was an important cog in last year's post-season run, and didn't play him in one game.

Looks like Chukwu got the message -- 18 rebounds at Duke, and he's been much more active in every game since. He's such a "flow" player that when he's active, even his shot blocking seems to pick up. And now he's finishing shots inside in a way that he never seemed to do this year.

Masterful move by JB. Sure, the kid had to respond to it, which is no sure thing -- but it looks like Chukwu got the message loud and clear, and Boeheim's subtle coaching strategy paid off.
I think he’s sending Jalen a similar message to take better care of ball

I think he’s also teaching him while having him sit next to him on the bench. He did that with Frank Howard, GMac etc. JB wants to teach him how and what to look for during the game. Sitting next to him to learn is a bonus not a punishment and JB has used this strategy often successfully.

Difference is ball-handling is less effort and more skill and repetitions. Riding the pine isn't going to change that.

Chuku i don't understand - how he can be so dominant or so useless in the course of a single game.

Difference is ball-handling is less effort and more skill and repetitions. Riding the pine isn't going to change that.

Chuku i don't understand - how he can be so dominant or so useless in the course of a single game.

It is also judgement-based.

Carey is a terrific ball handler, in terms of skill. A waterbug. He needs to make better decisions and not dribble into bad situations.

For some reason, I don't think the TOs are as troubling to Coach as the bad shots are. If Jalen understood his role a bit better, as a facilitator or penetrate/dish guy, then he'd be seeing more court time. He gets the open looks in the corner and can't help himself and take and miss a shot. When he does that, it ends up going the other way quickly and JB won't abide that.

I think it is a totally different scenario. The emergence of the TB at point along with Buddy's improvement seems clearly ahead of any combination with JC. I think JB will be giving all meaningful backup guard minutes to the TB/Buddy combo and have it continue to develop. JC in mop up the rest of the way.

JC's big value is next year when Frank and TB are gone.

It is also judgement-based.

Carey is a terrific ball handler, in terms of skill. A waterbug.
Agree to disagree. He gets picked or loses the ball vs tough pressure. A strong ballhandler doesn't let that happen. Frank at times in his career has been as bad, but of late he seems to be better about shielding with his body (although he's still very prone to pushing off with that forearm).

Agree to disagree. He gets picked or loses the ball vs tough pressure. A strong ballhandler doesn't let that happen. Frank at times in his career has been as bad, but of late he seems to be better about shielding with his body (although he's still very prone to pushing off with that forearm).

He's got a much better handle than Frank. When I say "ball handling," that's what I'm referring to. He's also been turnover prone, which is what I believe you are referring to.

But he's a frosh -- and he can't get away with doing some of the stuff he did in HS at this level. Being loose with the ball and making poor decisions doesn't equate to not being a strong ball handler. His handle is tight. His execution is not.

He's a much better ball handler than Frank. But he's a frosh -- and he can't get away with doing some of the stuff he did in HS at this level. Being loose with the ball and making poor decisions doesn't equate to not being a strong ball handler. His handle is tight. His execution is not.

He needs to follow Frank's recent lead and pass the ball to get himself out of trouble, not dribble. Use Tyus as a relief valve, and all will be fine.

But he's a frosh -- and he can't get away with doing some of the stuff he did in HS at this level. Being loose with the ball and making poor decisions doesn't equate to not being a strong ball handler. His handle is tight. His execution is not.
Maybe i'm just traumatized from his performance vs duke. It seemed like if he was breathed on he turned it over.

Thank god for Frank stealing a page from the Babers playbook and taking out their quarterback. Play of the year IMO.

and Oshae who sat a good portion last night.
So true. I have never seen a player miss so many point blank shots as Oshae has. I will be pulling for him to get out of this long slump.

So true. I have never seen a player miss so many point blank shots as Oshae has. I will be pulling for him to get out of this long slump.

If OB is not scoring while shooting a reasonable percentage, I think Marek offers more in most situations.

Marek won’t typically score a ton, but he also won’t miss many shots, is a far better passer, and usually against most teams a similar rebounder/defender.

We usually seem to play better when Marek is in the game. Exceptions would probably be when none of our other perimeter scorers can buy a bucket and we need Oshea’s ability to create offense one on one and he’s having a good game.

Last edited:
If he’s not scoring while shooting a reasonable percentage, I think Marek offers more in most situations.

Marek won’t typically score a ton, but he also won’t miss many shots, is a far better passer, and usually against most teams a similar rebounder/defender.

We usually seem to play better when Marek is in the game. Exceptions would probably be when none of our other perimeter scorers can buy a bucket and we need Oshea’s ability to create offense one on one and he’s having a good game.

Now that JB has given Marek the green light to operate as a point forward from the high post, our entire offense seems to kick it up a notch when he's out there. JB's taking advantage of Marek's ability to see the floor -- and defenses are having to react to him getting the ball there, which opens things up for teammates even more.

Especially since he's also proving capable of knocking down jumpshots, too.

The buttons being pushed are the right ones. The team is back to being fun to watch. Very good ball movement and guys being unselfish on offense. The turnaround from a month ago is almost to good to believe.

essentially benched him in the 1st half last night, too, after 4 ineffective minutes.

worked again.

It looked to me like JB almost pulled him again early in the second half, but Chukwu made an easy basket and he called back the sub, but couldn't quite make it out on TV. Might have been an entirely different substitution but it was very early which usually means PC. :)

Cheers,
Neil

It looked to me like JB almost pulled him again early in the second half, but Chukwu made an easy basket and he called back the sub, but couldn't quite make it out on TV. Might have been an entirely different substitution but it was very early which usually means PC. :)

Cheers,
Neil
You're right. JB sent Sid to check in then called him back.

I think that it's hard to dispute that this team has shown some marked improvement since the start of the season. I think we may be able to look back at the GT loss as being the turning point for this group. It may be the best loss we have all season if in fact it elicited changes which got this team to start to coalesce.

There have been some stretches during some of the recent games where the team did some great things and started to show us what they are capable of. I think that if the current trajectory of the team continues we will see a team which will go into March as a formidable threat to go deep into the tournament.

It's been awesome to watch this team begin to come together and find it's own identity and I think they are all realizing that they are in fact capable of playing with anyone... and winning. It's fantastic to be heading into the end of January and feeling like the team is improving in leaps and bounds.

Not worried abuty Jalen Carey. He has talent and is learning. There are few points for him not seeing as much hardwood compared to pine:

1) Need Frank Howard at 100% before the post season. We will not get there without significant play. The foot still seems to bother him some on sharper cuts/sprints.
2) Buddy Boeheim has been adding significant threat from the outside. We all know the three was lacking early this season. Buddy is hot and of more value in the grand scheme (see other points).
3) Tyus Battle will not leave the court for significant periods.
4) Jalen Carey is still adjusting to the elite level of Top 50 hoops. He clearly holds his own against lesser talent, but let's be honest, any tourney level team has significant talent, just like JC.
5) Aggravating #4 is the fact that JC is coming off his own injury. An injury that caused him to miss significant pre-season practice and hampered him in the early season.
6) JC is less in the dog house than a victim of circumstances. He will improve and will be the PG we have wanted for a while. He will learn, JB is a teacher, first and foremost.

If the team is really where I think it is, JC will see more playing time, albeit, some clean up work, but he will get minutes. Regardless, one year in the system, one year against elite college level players, and one year learning from a master and some very good assistants and JC will be a very good PG.

Last edited:
The JC saga is interesting. While IMO, the TB/Buddy combo has distanced itself from JC for the short term ie this year, next year IMO, JC is more crucial. Without TB and Frank we need a better JC than what we're seeing right now.

So JB has a slight dilemma on his hands, ride and develop the new TB/Buddy combo to have it gel more, or play JC some first half to help his development and the potential of next year.

To compound the problem Buddy is in developmental mode. He has made huge strides, I believe by being able to acclimate to the pressure. He has a pure shooting stroke, it is just being in the new level of pressure/stress it is hard to perform, ie Buddy's bank at Duke. But Buddy has shown tremendous improvement as his 3pt% is showing. He still has a ways to go though - one indicator being his underperforming FT%.

It'll be interesting to see it play out. I'm hoping JB can get enough trust to start giving JC some first half minutes again, and have Buddy get some time throughout the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom