Another position change thought | Syracusefan.com

Another position change thought

GoSU96

Living Legend
Bromley and Brantley to Strongside DE.

I don't think Chandler is going to get the news he wants from the league and between his brothers there shouldn't be any urgent financial need at home.

Jones, Goggins, Crume, Bromley across the front.

Spruill, MDavis, Lynch at LB

Anderson, Thomas, Eskridge, Desir/Reddish

Great idea, Bromley on strong side makes a lot of sense. I think Sharpe if he can avoid dumb penlaties will be ok as well, looks to me like Sharpe is carrying too much weight now as well. I agree I think Jones will be back

I don't expect Lyn to be back but I think we will be fine at corner.

Jones has stated all along that there is nothing that will make him leave early. He plans to use all his eligibility.

I'd go Jones, Bromley, Crume, Goggins since Goggins can really get after the QB.

I'm still holding out hope that if we plan to continue using a FB in our offense that Brantley ends up there at least in goal line sets if nothing more.

I don't think Chandler is going to get the news he wants from the league and between his brothers there shouldn't be any urgent financial need at home.

nassib to tight end

i kid i kid

but he'd be a way better tight end than andrew robinson was. good combo of speed and size,could get way bigger in no time if he wanted to.

I'd go Jones, Bromley, Crume, Goggins since Goggins can really get after the QB.

I'm still holding out hope that if we plan to continue using a FB in our offense that Brantley ends up there at least in goal line sets if nothing more.
I agree. This would be a dynamic d line that would be a major improvement at rushing the qb from what we've seen. Also a lot of size to clog up the middle.

Goggins gives more push inside, and plays with better leverage, more natural DT. Strongside is more about run stopping, which the defense needs.

Great idea, Bromley on strong side makes a lot of sense. I think Sharpe if he can avoid dumb penlaties will be ok as well, looks to me like Sharpe is carrying too much weight now as well. I agree I think Jones will be back

I don't expect Lyn to be back but I think we will be fine at corner.
What did Lyn do??

IMO our best bet would be

DE Jones/Sharpe
NT Crume/Sloan
DE Goggins/Bromley

That is assuming Sloan is good enough to be #2 at NT and is still eligible.

OLB Lynch/Vaughan
ILB Spruill/Davis
ILB Diabate/Coker
OLB Davis/Vigille

Certainly guys can be moved around there.

CB Reddish/George
FS Eskeridge/Wilkes
SS Desir/Shamarko
CB Lyn/Anderson

Shamarko is one of my favorite players but he is best at being an Okie SS/OLB hybrid. IMO he isn't good enough to be a SS.

Seems like we'd be giving up some speed though. I'm hoping Micah Robinson makes the leap to start at the other DE spot. I like Bromley as an athletic DT.

Assuming the Sloan mess is resolved and he stays and/or Welsh is ready for the rotation, your plan would help out what looks to be a thin DE unit. Excluding true freshmen, am I only counting 4? (Chandler, Sharpe, Robinson, Simmons).

I'm sorry, I've been away, why do we believe Lyn won't be back? His decision or the coaches? He breaks a rule and then can't man up for his punishment... How weak is that!!!!

Funny penciling in a kid with two knee surgeries over Dyshawn Davis, who may be tue most physically talented LB we have had since Bullock, and yes, I'm aware of what I just wrote.

Before anyone lays into Davis, remember this is his first year ever at linebacker. A redshirt year would have been ideal, but due to injuries and defections he was thrust into the starting lineup this year. When all is said and done, I believe he will be one of the better lb's we have had in the last fifteen years.

If anyone is a candidate to sit, it's Vaughan, who probably ends up on specials again.

Funny penciling in a kid with two knee surgeries over Dyshawn Davis, who may be tue most physically talented LB we have had since Bullock, and yes, I'm aware of what I just wrote.

Before anyone lays into Davis, remember this is his first year ever at linebacker. A redshirt year would have been ideal, but due to injuries and defections he was thrust into the starting lineup this year. When all is said and done, I believe he will be one of the better lb's we have had in the last fifteen years.

If anyone is a candidate to sit, it's Vaughan, who probably ends up on specials again.

Davis seems kinda soft to me. Too many times he had a slot WR running him off the LOS. These are guys he is bigger than. I think Davis has a ton of natural talent but he just doesn't have that LB mentality.

Just throwing ideas out there. My thoughts are that Dyshawn could use a redshirt year, if possible, next year. Don't disagree at all about his potential. The kid was thrown into the fire without enough time to learn the position or be truly physically ready. And it would be more moving Spruill over, MDavis to the inside.

Davis seems kinda soft to me. Too many times he had a slot WR running him off the LOS. These are guys he is bigger than. I think Davis has a ton of natural talent but he just doesn't have that LB mentality.

Kid played WR and Safety until last year, why don't we see what happens over time.

Just throwing ideas out there. My thoughts are that Dyshawn could use a redshirt year, if possible, next year. Don't disagree at all about his potential. The kid was thrown into the fire without enough time to learn the position or be truly physically ready. And it would be more moving Spruill over, MDavis to the inside.

Can't say as I keep up with all the Milford posts, assuming that's even where he was, but anyone know how Myles Davis did this year at prep?

I'm generally against having two Davis' starting at LB, only because of the name confusion, no other reason.

Can't say as I keep up with all the Milford posts, assuming that's even where he was, but anyone know how Myles Davis did this year at prep?

I'm generally against having two Davis' starting at LB, only because of the name confusion, no other reason.

He was injured last fall and did not play this fall. Word was he was great until he got hurt.

He was injured last fall and did not play this fall. Word was he was great until he got hurt.

On a brighter note, he is expected to be here in January so he won't be an unknown quantity by the time Spring Ball is done.

Kid played WR and Safety until last year, why don't we see what happens over time.

He can get better but for next year IMO Spruill and Lynch both deserve PT over him. Davis will have to hold off all the other LBs to keep his job.

Love the idea of Goggins sliding over to DE. I think he can wreak havoc from that position and bring his power with his speed. Will need to learn to contain though. I thiink that staff will get our 300 lbers in interior positions next year. Nothing against our linebackers now but I'm hoping that Davis is good enough to get on the field in the middle. He looks like he can hit/tackle like Conley/Young of yesteryear. Still would like to see Reddish on the other side of the ball. WHAT ARE/CAN WE DO ABOUT SPECIAL TEAMS? I can rememver when WE had the BEST ST's in the country. Punt blocking was feared! Opposing teams return games would be hugely nonexistant. They would have to take time from they're game planning to work on minimizing what our ST's would do...pts...field position...stripping the ball. We used to be fierce. We MUST have a dedicated special teams coach.

Goggins gives more push inside, and plays with better leverage, more natural DT. Strongside is more about run stopping, which the defense needs.

Thought that as well but he's alot stronger and likely just as fast as the DE he'd be replacing. Imagine a 280-290 SDE setting the edge for the run defence that can also track a RB in space. Also not sold on moving Bromley if anyone. He should come back a bit bigger and stronger which is about all he needs at this point.

He can get better but for next year IMO Spruill and Lynch both deserve PT over him. Davis will have to hold off all the other LBs to keep his job.

No he won't - Davis is the closest think WR have to an elite lb on the roster. Give him a year or two in the weight room. Remember, he new to the position, so not only is he a true frosh going up against kids with 4 years in s and c, he's thinking his way through the position as well.

Or we can pencil in a kid who hadn't played in two years with a bulky knee because he has big arms. Either or.

No he won't - Davis is the closest think WR have to an elite lb on the roster. Give him a year or two in the weight room. Remember, he new to the position, so not only is he a true frosh going up against kids with 4 years in s and c, he's thinking his way through the position as well.

Or we can pencil in a kid who hadn't played in two years with a bulky knee because he has big arms. Either or.
Awesome!

There was a reason when we played 3-4 on D that Davis came out and Lynch was in. There is a reason why Davis was not in the Okie package. There is a reason why Lynch started vs Pitt and Davis did not. Davis is very raw right now. He has the physical tools but so did JR Johnson. Until he learns how to use those tools, he will be battling for PT. There are a ton of LBs on next year's roster not just Miles who will be pushing for that PT.

There was a reason when we played 3-4 on D that Davis came out and Lynch was in. There is a reason why Davis was not in the Okie package. There is a reason why Lynch started vs Pitt and Davis did not. Davis is very raw right now. He has the physical tools but so did JR Johnson. Until he learns how to use those tools, he will be battling for PT. There are a ton of LBs on next year's roster not just Miles who will be pushing for that PT.

Do you recall what said "reason" was? The reason had nothing to do with Davis' ability as a linebacker, but had to do with him learning an entire set of new responsibilities on top of learning how to play linebacker in the first place, which supports my posts.

The staff believes Davis has a chance to be very special, and they are going to everything in their power to see that he succeeds.