Another position change thought | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Another position change thought

IMO our best bet would be

DE Jones/Sharpe
NT Crume/Sloan
DE Goggins/Bromley

That is assuming Sloan is good enough to be #2 at NT and is still eligible.

OLB Lynch/Vaughan
ILB Spruill/Davis
ILB Diabate/Coker
OLB Davis/Vigille

Certainly guys can be moved around there.

CB Reddish/George
FS Eskeridge/Wilkes
SS Desir/Shamarko
CB Lyn/Anderson

Shamarko is one of my favorite players but he is best at being an Okie SS/OLB hybrid. IMO he isn't good enough to be a SS.
So, to clarify, you're saying that we should switch to the 3-4 base defense because of our personnel strengths?

i like taller de's. as to lb, it will be the same as this year. spruill, davis, vaughan and lynch is some form.

Great idea, Bromley on strong side makes a lot of sense. I think Sharpe if he can avoid dumb penlaties will be ok as well, looks to me like Sharpe is carrying too much weight now as well. I agree I think Jones will be back

I don't expect Lyn to be back but I think we will be fine at corner.
Did Lyn really -- up that bad?

I really hope we didn't lose Lyn, though it seems like most are accepting that at this point. Huge loss if true. I thought he was a Marrone Kind of Guy, not a GRob Kind of Guy. (sorry, couldn't resist).

But on Lynch -- I like him but worry he's a bit of a tweener a little short and maybe a quarter-step slow on the outside, but a bit too slight for the middle. Am I crazy on that?

Do you recall what said "reason" was? The reason had nothing to do with Davis' ability as a linebacker, but had to do with him learning an entire set of new responsibilities on top of learning how to play linebacker in the first place, which supports my posts.

The staff believes Davis has a chance to be very special, and they are going to everything in their power to see that he succeeds.

Davis will be a special linebacker at Syracuse - not only does the staff believe this but so do other coaches in the Big East who have seen him on film. At this point Davis is about 40% of what he will be in two years. He is just starting to learn the defensive playbook and has struggled a little with moving close to the line of scrimmage of the linebacker position (the plays get on top of you much quicker). He also needs to spend time in the weight room as I understand that he was down to about 208 by the end of the season. However - the kid is very strong in the weight room and ran in the low 4.5s in the spring. The belief is that he will be able to maintain that speed and play at about 220 in the fall. Conley believes that Davis can turn into a star not just in terms of being a pash rusher and a side line to side line player but as a LB that can match up with TE's as well. The final piece of the puzzle will be for Davis to develop as an in-the-box run defender. This kid will be a great linebacker and I cannot see him getting supplanted at any time in the near future.

Davis will be a special linebacker at Syracuse
Great to hear from you, JO. Lots of finger pointing and speculation about "what went wrong" this season, in general. Any generalities about why the meltdown occurred?

Situationally, I think Bromley/Goggins/Brantley (from what I know of him) could all be solid 3-front DEs. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Brantley became a full time DE with his speed. He has NFL DE size.

But on Lynch -- I like him but worry he's a bit of a tweener a little short and maybe a quarter-step slow on the outside, but a bit too slight for the middle. Am I crazy on that?

Lynch may be a situational type player. Really liked him blitzing off the edge, almost a natural ability to speed rush around a OT trying to pick him up.

I think in a perfect world, Goggins, Bromley, and Coleman would probably all have come in as power ends. Unfortunately, our size at the DT position was incredibly thin. Crume should be ready for an expanded role, Bromley should be up to at least 290, and hopefully we still have Sloan ready to go.

DT size is one of those things that has restricted us, and will only improve gradually. I would love to see Foy moved over if we can make it through fall practice without losing any other 2-deep OL to serious injury. That's just me though, and either way our size should be adequate.

Needless to say Brantley is the guy we are all excited about, and for good reason. Honestly, I have no idea what to expect. I think he could be a tremendous DE, DT, or hybrid that does a little bit of everything. Whatever happens, I don't want to see a Crume year... if you are going to use him, awesome, if not, let him RS and get up to 300 pounds and work on a variety of roles.